Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Blooki's Puzzle #7 - Savvy Shopper  (Read 7149 times)

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Blooki's Puzzle #7 - Savvy Shopper
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:21:13 am »

It's your buy phase. It's a solitaire game. You have $11 and 1 buy. Under ordinary circumstances, you would be gaining 10 VP. However, these are far from ordinary circumstances. What's the maximum number of victory points you can gain during this buy phase alone?

Restriction #1: No Gardens, Vineyards or Fairgrounds are gained during this buy phase.
Restriction #2: To keep things simple, let's say your coin total never exceeds 11 and your buy total never exceeds 1 (so no Contraband).

My maximum: 250 VP

Hint: ...erlands cards are fair game.
Hint: My solution utilizes all 10 kingdom cards, one of which is Black Market.

Gone for the weekend. Will post more hints on Monday if the puzzle remains more or less unsolved.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:10:53 am by Blooki »

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Blooki's Puzzle #7 - Savvy Shopper
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:49:27 am »

Hmm, I get   34 with a first try. That's a long way...

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:10:17 am »

I can push it up to 106   points, but I don't quite absolutely require all ten Kingdom cards, so am clearly missing something.  Besides a lot of points, which I'm also clearly missing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:14:43 am by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:43:47 am »

Do I have 1 buy and $11 at the *start* of the buy phase, or merely at this point in my buying? Is horn of plenty allowed?

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:46:02 am »

Hmm, I had thought you could put 30 embargo tokens on something and use trader, but that actually only gets you 10 silvers, not 30. Quarry/Talisman/BV messes up your ability to get a bunch of Duchies, and Bridge/Princess give you plus buy so those are out too

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:15:57 am »

OK, I'm up to 203190 VP I think.

Assume:

We play 10 Hoards, 10 HoP trashing for $11. 11 is possible say Copper,Silver,Gold,Platinum,Potion,HoP, so I need 5 other cards played for this. The Black Market can give us enough of "innocent" cards we can play for this.
For the HoP, take 8 Colonies. 1 Harem, 1 Island.
Because of the 10 Hoards, we gain 100 Golds. If I'm not allowed 100 Golds, I trade some of them for Silvers. #Gold+#Silver>100 if I remember correctly.
Buy Border Village, gain Great Hall.

Assume I have 8 Gardens, 8 Vineyards, 8 Fairgrounds.
For the gardens, we lost 10 HoPs and gained 10+100+2 cards, so the value can increase by 11 each.
For the Fairgrounds, I lost HoP, and gained Colonies, Island, Nobles, Border Village, GH, thats >0, so they can increase by 2 each.
For the Vineyards, I lost nothing and gained Border Village, Island, Nobles, Great Hall, thats +3, so they can increas by 2 each
In total,
8 Colonies = 80.
Island = 2
Nobles = 2
Great Hall = 1
8 Gardens x11 = 88
8 Vineyards x 2 = 16
8 Fairgrounds x 2 = 16
sum=205

So just think if we can have 5 emtpy piles at the buyphase: Empty are HoP, Hoards, Vineyards, Gardens, Fairgrounds. Assume Vineyards and Hoards are empty before, we can bridge the other ones down to $4 and take 3 cards with Ironworks, and draw them afterwards. We only need to draw the HoP, the Hoards are all in hand before, that can be done with an Ironworks.
So we "just" need Ironworks, Bridge and a Village, nevertheless we are now at 11 cards. And we need 2 Bridges and 3 Ironworks.  Ok, that doesn't work. Have to give up some points, say just 7 Gardens, Fairgrounds Vineyards, that -15VP, so 190 in total.

On the other Hands 10 Hoards are clearly more than $11

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:56:29 am »

Do I have 1 buy and $11 at the *start* of the buy phase, or merely at this point in my buying? Is horn of plenty allowed?

For the sake of simplicity, let's say your coin total doesn't go past $11. I don't see how this would help you anyways other than by using Hoard which I don't think helps you enough as an alternative to my solution.

Your spoiler card is indeed allowed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:06:49 am by Blooki »

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:57:24 am »

Hmm, I had thought you could put 30 embargo tokens on something and use trader, but that actually only gets you 10 silvers, not 30. Quarry/Talisman/BV messes up your ability to get a bunch of Duchies, and Bridge/Princess give you plus buy so those are out too

I thought this too and actually went on Isotropic to test out what the implemented ruling is only to discover what you did.

What do you mean by, "Quarry/Talisman/BV messes up your ability to get a bunch of Duchies?"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:09:48 am by Blooki »

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:02:57 am »

OK, I'm up to 203190 VP I think.

Assume:

We play 10 Hoards, 10 HoP trashing for $11. 11 is possible say Copper,Silver,Gold,Platinum,Potion,HoP, so I need 5 other cards played for this. The Black Market can give us enough of "innocent" cards we can play for this.
For the HoP, take 8 Colonies. 1 Harem, 1 Island.
Because of the 10 Hoards, we gain 100 Golds. If I'm not allowed 100 Golds, I trade some of them for Silvers. #Gold+#Silver>100 if I remember correctly.
Buy Border Village, gain Great Hall.

Assume I have 8 Gardens, 8 Vineyards, 8 Fairgrounds.
For the gardens, we lost 10 HoPs and gained 10+100+2 cards, so the value can increase by 11 each.
For the Fairgrounds, I lost HoP, and gained Colonies, Island, Nobles, Border Village, GH, thats >0, so they can increase by 2 each.
For the Vineyards, I lost nothing and gained Border Village, Island, Nobles, Great Hall, thats +3, so they can increas by 2 each
In total,
8 Colonies = 80.
Island = 2
Nobles = 2
Great Hall = 1
8 Gardens x11 = 88
8 Vineyards x 2 = 16
8 Fairgrounds x 2 = 16
sum=205

So just think if we can have 5 emtpy piles at the buyphase: Empty are HoP, Hoards, Vineyards, Gardens, Fairgrounds. Assume Vineyards and Hoards are empty before, we can bridge the other ones down to $4 and take 3 cards with Ironworks, and draw them afterwards. We only need to draw the HoP, the Hoards are all in hand before, that can be done with an Ironworks.
So we "just" need Ironworks, Bridge and a Village, nevertheless we are now at 11 cards. And we need 2 Bridges and 3 Ironworks.  Ok, that doesn't work. Have to give up some points, say just 7 Gardens, Fairgrounds Vineyards, that -15VP, so 190 in total.

On the other Hands 10 Hoards are clearly more than $11

Great progress, but reread Hoard. It says when you buy. Horn of Plenty gains are not buying.

Your solution did make me realize an error in my calculations. Thanks! I lose 7 VP as a result. Original post has been adjusted to reflect this.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:07:54 am by Blooki »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 11:10:32 am »

Hmm, I had thought you could put 30 embargo tokens on something and use trader, but that actually only gets you 10 silvers, not 30.

I thought this too and actually went on Isotropic to test out what the implemented ruling is only to discover what you did.
That's a bug.

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 11:25:06 am »

Hmm, I had thought you could put 30 embargo tokens on something and use trader, but that actually only gets you 10 silvers, not 30.

That's a bug.

So the rule is that you may gain more Curses than the supply pile allows and Trader them one-by-one?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 11:57:13 am »

That's a bug.

So the rule is that you may gain more Curses than the supply pile allows and Trader them one-by-one?

Well, the Curse pile wouldn't go down.

You  buy something with 30 tokens on it. You gain a Curse. Oops, get a Silver instead. Curse pile remains unchanged. Now, gain a Curse for the second token. Oops, get another Silver. Curse pile remains unchanged.

So, you gain 30 Silvers, but the Curse pile remains unchanged.

At least, that's how I read it.

A man has no signature

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 11:57:28 am »

That's a bug.

I think the rules say that when you gain Silver instead of something else, this something else is not trashed, so you "can would"* gain it again.

* I'm afraid the construct I need here is somewhere after the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional.  Or I'm just stupid at the moment. Probably I'm just stupid. Should not be so difficult. Perhaps also just "could"...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:28:36 pm by DStu »

Karrow

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 12:12:46 pm »

For the sake of simplicity, let's say your coin total doesn't go past $11. I don't see how this would help you anyways other than by using Hoard which I don't think helps you enough as an alternative to my solution.

Your spoiler card is indeed allowed.

OK then, so no 10 Hordes

And for simplicity I hope we have to begin at the start of the buy phase?  Because the loophole that gets crazy is if we join mid-buy phase, but you ask how many vp's are gained this buy phase, we have to consider all the buys made that led us up to the 1buy $11 state.  And that could have been buying every card in the game.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 01:00:20 pm »

my best. it does not utilize all $11, but it does it require use of 10 kingdom cards. feel free to correct any errors i missed.

kingdom cards utilized - (colony set) black market (bridge, throne room, kings court, trader), border village, talisman, duke, island, vineyard, gardens, fairgrounds, horn of plenty, embargo
points gained in the buy phase - 232

my first idea is to use 10 maxed out horn of plenties and then buy a single border village with the conditions:
- you have a throned bridge in play
- 30 embargo tokens on border villages
- the border village is bought with ten talismans
- you have a trader in hand
- you gain 8 islands and 2 duchies with your BV gains

this could lead to point gains of -
- +48 points if you had 8 vineyards (+18 actions)
- +40 points if you had 8 gardens (+50 cards, 30 silver, 10 BV, 10 island)
- +16 points from the islands
- +16 points if you had 8 fairgrounds and this pushed you to 10/15/20 different cards
- +80 points (8 colonies) from 8 maxed out horn of plenties
- +32 points (4 dukes) from 2 horn of plenties and 2 BV gains if you had 8 duchies already
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Karrow

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 01:49:04 pm »

Loophole

vineyards/gardens/fairgrounds rules are not very clear.  Some may say they are worth 0 until the end of the game.  But if we just go by what the card says, it says "cards in deck."  The rules state that the discard pile is not your deck.  The base set rules state that at the end of the game you put all of your cards into your deck.  But the question was "gained during buy phase alone."  Gaining cards that do not get shuffled into your deck does not add to gardens/vineyards/fairgrounds in your buy phase.

So

1179 points without hinterlands.

I start my turn with 0 cards in deck, so I start with gardens/fairgrounds/vineyards=0.  I play no actions, and move to buy phase.  I play platinum/platinum/loan and keep 2-curses in my hand.  Before this turn I managed to buy all but 1 card of every pile except for fairgrounds & vineyards which I bought 8 of each, and I black marketed buying every card in the black market deck (through cornucopia).  Loan makes me shuffle, hits a copper first which i trash, I buy a colony.

My loan shuffled into my deck 7 gardens, 8 fairgrounds, 8 vineyards 8 loans, 9 bane, 9 young witch, 9 black market, 9X4 other action kingdom cards, 59 copper (then -1 to 58 from the loan), 29 silver, 29 gold, 9 platinum, 15 potion, 10 estate, 7 duchy, 7 province, 7 colony, 7 curse, and one of every other card in the game gained from black market (119 cards).  That's 391 cards shuffled in for a gain of 273 garden points, and 140 differently named cards for a fairgrounds gain of 448, 63 kingdom actions and 107 black market bought actions give 448 vineyard points, and one colony buy for 10.  1179 points gained during buy phase.

(easily would be more with hinterlands, but I don't know how many action cards are in hinterlands.)

(And I see I also forgot the prize cards.) 

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 05:03:46 pm »

What do you mean by, "Quarry/Talisman/BV messes up your ability to get a bunch of Duchies?"

I think he means playing the Quarry makes BV cost less than Duchy, and there is no other was to reduce the cost of BV to $4 or less without gaining +buys, so you can't abuse Talisman -> BV.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 08:52:24 pm »

Loophole

vineyards/gardens/fairgrounds rules are not very clear.  Some may say they are worth 0 until the end of the game.  But if we just go by what the card says, it says "cards in deck."  The rules state that the discard pile is not your deck.  The base set rules state that at the end of the game you put all of your cards into your deck.  But the question was "gained during buy phase alone."  Gaining cards that do not get shuffled into your deck does not add to gardens/vineyards/fairgrounds in your buy phase.

So

1179 points without hinterlands.

I start my turn with 0 cards in deck, so I start with gardens/fairgrounds/vineyards=0.  I play no actions, and move to buy phase.  I play platinum/platinum/loan and keep 2-curses in my hand.  Before this turn I managed to buy all but 1 card of every pile except for fairgrounds & vineyards which I bought 8 of each, and I black marketed buying every card in the black market deck (through cornucopia).  Loan makes me shuffle, hits a copper first which i trash, I buy a colony.

My loan shuffled into my deck 7 gardens, 8 fairgrounds, 8 vineyards 8 loans, 9 bane, 9 young witch, 9 black market, 9X4 other action kingdom cards, 59 copper (then -1 to 58 from the loan), 29 silver, 29 gold, 9 platinum, 15 potion, 10 estate, 7 duchy, 7 province, 7 colony, 7 curse, and one of every other card in the game gained from black market (119 cards).  That's 391 cards shuffled in for a gain of 273 garden points, and 140 differently named cards for a fairgrounds gain of 448, 63 kingdom actions and 107 black market bought actions give 448 vineyard points, and one colony buy for 10.  1179 points gained during buy phase.

(easily would be more with hinterlands, but I don't know how many action cards are in hinterlands.)

(And I see I also forgot the prize cards.) 

Indeed it happens that the word "deck" in Dominion rules is ambiguous; it can refer to either all the cards you have in your draw pile, discard, hand, etc., or it can refer to your draw pile alone.

But your loophole depends on interchanging the definitions when convenient. It makes no sense to count points in your draw pile alone. When you count points in your deck you're talking about the whole deck.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

Probably just that it doesn't work; BV will cost $4 but Duchy still costs $5, so you can't get a Duchy with BV.

That was actually the first thing I tried before facepalming when I realized it wasn't legal.

edit: ninja'd by TINAS, must have just overlooked the post.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:18:50 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

twistedbeats

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 05:36:16 pm »

created an account to reply to this.

have a hand of quarry, ten talisman, trader, and 10 horn of plenty, which has been maxed out.
buy one boarder village, gaining 10 copies, substituting a silver for one of them with trader. gain 8 copies of colony and 2 copies of duchy
with the first 8 border village, gain 8 island. with the last two gain great hall. border village has 30 curse tokens on it, so gain 30 curses, using trader each time to gain a silver 27 times, and gain a curse 3 times.

the deck has 8 each gardens, vinyards, fairgrounds, and dukes. it contained none of the cards just gained.

the victory cards and curses gained total 101 (8 col, 2 duch, 8 island, 2 gh, 3 curse)

gaining 7 newly named cards, but losing 1 (the hops), fairgrounds each go up in value 4 points. let's assume you previously had 14 differently named cards. now you have 20. put mathematically, if (the number of differently named cards we had previously) modulo 5 = 4, we would gain 4 points each on the fairgrounds. so, that's 32.

we gained 61 cards, but lost 10, for a net gain of 51. if (the number of cards in our deck previously) modulo 10 = 9, we would gain 6 points each on the gardens.

we gained 20 action cards. if (the number of actions we had previous to this turn) modulo 3 = 1, then, vinyards each go up  7 points each. or 56

dukes go from 0 to 16

16 + 56 + 60 + 32 + 101 = 265

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »

created an account to reply to this.

have a hand of quarry, ten talisman, trader, and 10 horn of plenty, which has been maxed out.
buy one boarder village, gaining 10 copies, substituting a silver for one of them with trader. gain 8 copies of colony and 2 copies of duchy
with the first 8 border village, gain 8 island. with the last two gain great hall. border village has 30 curse tokens on it, so gain 30 curses, using trader each time to gain a silver 27 times, and gain a curse 3 times.

the deck has 8 each gardens, vinyards, fairgrounds, and dukes. it contained none of the cards just gained.

the victory cards and curses gained total 101 (8 col, 2 duch, 8 island, 2 gh, 3 curse)

gaining 7 newly named cards, but losing 1 (the hops), fairgrounds each go up in value 4 points. let's assume you previously had 14 differently named cards. now you have 20. put mathematically, if (the number of differently named cards we had previously) modulo 5 = 4, we would gain 4 points each on the fairgrounds. so, that's 32.

we gained 61 cards, but lost 10, for a net gain of 51. if (the number of cards in our deck previously) modulo 10 = 9, we would gain 6 points each on the gardens.

we gained 20 action cards. if (the number of actions we had previous to this turn) modulo 3 = 1, then, vinyards each go up  7 points each. or 56

dukes go from 0 to 16

16 + 56 + 60 + 32 + 101 = 265

By the end of your Action phase, how did you get to 22 cards in hand and 8 differently named cards already in play? Plus you had to have some way of emptying 2 4 piles during your Action phase (in order to have all 8 of Dukes, Fairgrounds, Gardens, and Vineyards, as well as all 10 Talismen and Horns of Plenty).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:19:14 pm by michaeljb »

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 07:08:42 pm »

I found a 250-point solution. I'll try to see if I can improve it any and will probably post later tonight.

twistedbeats

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 09:06:58 pm »

Quote from: michaeljb link=topic=806.msg11702#msg11702
[spoiler
By the end of your Action phase, how did you get to 22 cards in hand and 8 differently named cards already in play? Plus you had to have some way of emptying 2 4 piles during your Action phase (in order to have all 8 of Dukes, Fairgrounds, Gardens, and Vineyards, as well as all 10 Talismen and Horns of Plenty).[/spoiler]

supply:

vinyard
gardens
duke
fairgrounds

black market
talisman
embargo

island
great hall
border village

bane: king's court

black market deck: cellar, young witch, remodel, village, counting house, mine, quarry, throne room, cutpurse, shanty town, trader, pearl diver

by my count, we have to empty gardens, horn of plenty, fairgrounds, and duke. opening hand:  village, kk, kk, pearl diver, cellar.

play kk on kk:
first, village, drawing shanty town, remodel and kk,

second, counting house, picking up 25 coppers.

third, cellar, discarding all the coppers, drawing 9 hops, 9 talisman, 1 quarry, mine, remodel, gold, gold, estate and let's say cutpurse (irrel, just need a 4 coster).

next, play shanty town. we're up to five

play pearl diver, drawing into a throne room,

next, throne room a mine, gold to the last talisman, gold to the last hop. that's 8!

next, king's court remodel, getting rid of estate for last gardens, cutpurse for last fairgrounds and let's say a random copper into estate...

next, buy the border village. pwned.   another option would be the perfect native village.

also, in the interest of fairness, my vinyards math should be changed to "if (the number of unique actions you had in your deck prior to this buy) modulo 3 = 2," not "...= 1"

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:33:31 pm by twistedbeats »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.