Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How long does it take to get the promos?  (Read 3626 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
How long does it take to get the promos?
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:45:16 am »
+1

I would like to have the promos but my experience with Adventure mode is limited to two misclicks on "Leaderboard", after which I quickly refreshed my browser.

I have a little over 16000 coins to buy all the zaps I might need, and I'm willing to spend at most a few hours. Is that doable?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: How long does it take to get the promos?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:29:03 am »
+5

it will take longer than a few hours.  I suggest doing 4 adventure mode Games a day.  will take a while, but it alleviates the tedium.

also, I suspect it will only be possible to get 4 promos through adventure, so if you want black market or stash, you should hold off on getting all 3.  my personal recommendation is to not get governor, but that's because I hate governor and am a biased pig.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »
+4

it will take longer than a few hours.  I suggest doing 4 adventure mode Games a day.  will take a while, but it alleviates the tedium.

also, I suspect it will only be possible to get 4 promos through adventure, so if you want black market or stash, you should hold off on getting all 3.  my personal recommendation is to not get governor, but that's because I hate governor and am a biased pig.

Nonsense. Envoy is just Frustrating Smithy, Black Market is way, way too swingy by design, Walled Village is pointless, Stash is usually terrible. Governor is the only worthwhile promo card.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:53:10 pm »
+12

Envoy is a unique draw card, Walled Village adds another possible Village to the randomizer, Black Market is one of my favorite cards, and Stash doesn't ruin otherwise interesting boards with a formulaic one-card strategy that gets old after the first game.  Also your mom.

This has been a public service response from the anti-Governor coalition. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 02:16:11 pm »

Play a game against Serf Bot on very fast animation settings, this should give you a good estimate of time an adventure game will take you (starting with improved deck will make you faster but on the other hand it takes some time to apply zaps).

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 04:21:44 pm »

I would like to have the promos but my experience with Adventure mode is limited to two misclicks on "Leaderboard", after which I quickly refreshed my browser.

I have a little over 16000 coins to buy all the zaps I might need, and I'm willing to spend at most a few hours. Is that doable?
A few hours might be a bit scarce, even with that many zaps. Moreover, with the current amount of Adventures you are only able to get 3 of the promos, and if I count correctly even with Guilds it won't be enough.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:51:36 pm »
+2

Envoy is a unique draw card, Walled Village adds another possible Village to the randomizer, Black Market is one of my favorite cards, and Stash doesn't ruin otherwise interesting boards with a formulaic one-card strategy that gets old after the first game.  Also your mom.

But if you don't have Governor then you can't help your opponent draw half his deck and then make him topdeck everything with Ghost Ship.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 07:23:53 pm »
+1

If you're only using Governor for the formulaic one-card strategy, you're missing out on half the fun.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 07:28:35 pm »

If you're only using Governor for the formulaic one-card strategy, you're missing out on half the fun.

My point is that, all too often, straight-up Governor dominates boards (largely because it tends to shorten the length of games considerably).  I don't have a problem with the card when it's just part of an engine.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 08:58:37 pm »
+2

I am very sad that anti-Governor hate mongering is more respected than mild Governor defensiveness. It's such a cool card!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 09:09:31 pm »

I am very sad that anti-Governor hate mongering is more respected than mild Governor defensiveness. It's such a cool card!
Agreed! It's an excellent excellent promo, and black market is too. Walled village, envoy and stash are really dull in comparison. I mean, you have to pay actual money to get just one card, would anyone ever actually choose stash over governor? Governor clearly gives you more bang for your buck!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 10:16:30 pm »
+1

Agreed! It's an excellent excellent promo, and black market is too. Walled village, envoy and stash are really dull in comparison. I mean, you have to pay actual money to get just one card, would anyone ever actually choose stash over governor? Governor clearly gives you more bang for your buck!

I totally would. Stash is my favorite promo. I don't hate Governor as much as I used to. I've learned to play "against" it, a.k.a. I've learned to adapt my deck to take advantage of my opponents' Governors while still having to buy my own Governors. That's really the issue with it: it's not just a "must buy" card, it's a "must buy as many as you can to the exclusion of other, more interesting Actions" card.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 10:42:09 pm »

A few hours might be a bit scarce, even with that many zaps. Moreover, with the current amount of Adventures you are only able to get 3 of the promos, and if I count correctly even with Guilds it won't be enough.

Yes, even with Guilds 3 Promos is the limit. I am actually holding off on my third promo because I predict with Guilds being the last expansion that we will get at least one new promo this year.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 10:56:59 pm »
+1

I think the respect given to the anti-Governor posts is at least somewhat influenced by the style in which they are written and not the position itself.  At least that is the reason for my +1s.  I really like Governor the best out of the promo cards, and finding intriguing alternate uses for it (other than the one-trick-pony) makes it SO fun.  :)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:02:47 pm »

I +1ed the post that said "your mom" because it made me lol, then I +1ed your post because I felt bad for +1ing his without +1ing yours. This was before reading that I quoted above.

And I'm not ashamed to admit this, even though I don't really like the fact that these are the reasons people give +1s around here. Irony.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.23 seconds with 20 queries.