Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What do you think about this?  (Read 3214 times)

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
What do you think about this?
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:16:40 am »

Border Peddler - $8*
+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Coin
----------------------------
During your Buy phase, this costs 2 less per Action card you have in play, but not less than 0.
When you gain this, gain a card cheaper than this.
Action

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about this?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:30 am »

Border Peddler - $8*
During your Buy phase, this costs 2 less per Action card you have in play, but not less than 0.
Action

I'm not sure how it would play out. Usually you'd want to buy it at $6, $4, and $0, but not $2. Weird.

ahyangyi

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 01:40:18 pm »

Border Peddler - $8*
Action

I'm not sure how it would play out. Usually you'd want to buy it at $6, $4, and $0, but not $2. Weird.

Yes, this is the tricky part. I can't really decide whether it is stronger or weaker than the original Peddler or Border Village.

BiggerOil

• Steward
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 05:42:44 pm »
+1

It would obviously depend on the kingdom.  8)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:50:12 pm »

I'd lean towards saying most of the time it would be stronger than Peddler but weaker than Border Village. Maybe the other way around in Big Money decks though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:36:26 pm »

I would see this as a big Big Money enabler.  Which I actually like a lot, I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way nowadays.

I think you misprinted though? Like, surely your intent is for you to gain a Copper when you buy Peddler for 0$.

This guy will basically reward decks that go light on actions, even Big Money is trying to play 1 action per turn, so the lighter the better, 6$ Peddling is the best and 4$ Peddling is second best.  It also gives non-drawing Big Money some much needed love.  (Poor Merchant ship)

EDIT: I read your post, it seems like you intended for 0$ Border Peddlers to have no baggage.  I think that's a really bad idea.  Peddler is already a pretty swingy card because lining up your actions and buys can get you several early, and then those Peddlers help you get more.  You'd be making this even swingier if the guy who gets the cost down to 2$ can't buy it at all, and then the guy who gets it down to 0$ gets to buy it in optimal conditions.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:38:25 pm by popsofctown »

ahyangyi

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 12:34:33 am »

Actually my intention is to give you a copper when you buy it for $0. But won't it look wordy?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 02:19:16 am »

Actually my intention is to give you a copper when you buy it for $0. But won't it look wordy?

"But not less than $1."

So the fourth action drops it from $2 to $1 and you still have to gain Copper/Curse if you buy it at that price.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 03:14:50 am »

How would that interact with four highways then?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:29:37 am »

Ooh, tough call.

Highways reduce price immediately, so it would end at $1 in the buy phase, I think.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:40:10 am »

Ooh, tough call.

Highways reduce price immediately, so it would end at $1 in the buy phase, I think.

But with a Bridge it could be called $0 or $1... there's no defined order to the effects. It is a little wordy, but:

When you gain this, you may gain a card cheaper than this. If you don't, gain a Copper.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:51 am »

Ooh, tough call.

But with a Bridge it could be called $0 or $1... there's no defined order to the effects. It is a little wordy, but:

When you gain this, you may gain a card cheaper than this. If you don't, gain a Copper.

What do you mean? Bridges reduce price immediately as well.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:04:19 am »

Quarry. Quarry is the one that would make it weird.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 10:48:33 am »

Ooh, tough call.

What do you mean? Bridges reduce price immediately as well.

Oops, I had it backwards. With Bridge I would say there is no question... but with Highway (and Princess), it's not as clear. Although the price reduction does take place immediately, because it's a "while this is in play", it's a continuous effect, not a one-time thing like Bridge. So during your buy phase, you still have 2 separate continuous effects happening.. I don't think it should matter which one started first.

Quarry is no different... if we agree that a continuous effect that happens first is the one that is counted first, then the Border Peddler happened first... it became your buy phase BEFORE you played Quarry. Unless you played Quarry with Black Market. So it's tracking issues. You can't simply look at the table, without knowing the history of the turn, and know if it costs $0 or $1.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.522 seconds with 20 queries.