Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Why is Overgrown Estate a Victory card worth 0?  (Read 8890 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Overgrown Estate a Victory card worth 0?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 10:28:37 pm »

Did you skim the thread, or is this a really silly way of strawmanning?

I was arguing that it is good that it produces SOME amount of VP, even if its zero, because some card at some point (like the one I stated) may assume each Victory card produces some amount of VP. Then went on to say the same about Treasures producing some amount of coin.

Why would you assume the worst?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 10:47:56 pm »

I totally misunderstood your post, I thought you were suggesting that as an OE ability, not as a maybe-in-guilds ability. 

I put my preferred guess first, I don't think assuming you misunderstood the thread is assuming the worst anymore than assuming I misunderstood the thread, which is what happened.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:55:43 pm by popsofctown »

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 11:50:51 pm »
+3

I play platinum, then Amalgam, then 7 coppers.

Great for you, that's not easy to achieve.

But still, the amalgam doesn't automatically have to be the lowest valued card. It just depends on the kingdom order.

Not the genus?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 01:37:02 am »
+1

But still, the amalgam doesn't automatically have to be the lowest valued card. It just depends on the kingdom order.

Not the genus?

At first I thought this was a topology joke, but now I donut think it is.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 09:50:19 am »

Not the genus?

More the phylum, actually.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 10:41:35 am »

Not the genus?

At first I thought this was a topology joke, but now I donut think it is.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 10:47:05 am »
+1

Do you have a problem with the number zero? You know, it has feelings, too.
Well, it's not the loneliest number, that would be 1. So what is zero?
0 implies nothingness, total absence of anything.
How many apples are 0 apples? No apples!

How can something that isn't there still have feelings?

Zero may connote those things (to you), but it doesn't imply them.  Zero is certainly a real number; it exists, it has properties, it can be acted upon by many functions, etc.  It definitely is not the absence of something, but rather a physical existent in and of itself, with special properties (e.g., it's the only real number that satisfies xy=x for every real number y; it also satisfies x+y = y for every real number y).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 10:54:30 am »

I guess at some you could have some card saying things like "1 VP per each other victory card giving less than 3 VP in your deck"
I think an appropriate name for this card would be "Paradox". Well, it doesn't actually lead to paradoxes, but then you must accept that different copies of the same card can have different VP values.

For example, if your only victory cards are 8 Paradoxes, then it is consistent to have 3 of them being worth 2 VP and the rest worth 3 VP. But that's still weird.

But to try to get the topic back on topic (which is probably hopeless): I like the fact that OE is a victory card. Then the number of victory cards in your starting deck is reduced from 3 to "just" 1 instead of 0, which matters for quite a few cards.

I had this problem at first, but then I assumed "other" meant other types of victory cards, not other cards than the one you're reading.  So each Paradox is worth N victory points, where N is the number of non-Paradox victory cards that are worth less than 3 vp.  They don't depend on each other.

It does create an interesting scenario where buying an estate or a duchy (or any other card) could increase the value of your Silk Roads, Fairgrounds, Gardens, Feodum and decrease the value of your Paradoxes, resulting in an overall decrease in victory points.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 04:44:54 pm »

I had this problem at first, but then I assumed "other" meant other types of victory cards, not other cards than the one you're reading.  So each Paradox is worth N victory points, where N is the number of non-Paradox victory cards that are worth less than 3 vp.  They don't depend on each other.

It does create an interesting scenario where buying an estate or a duchy (or any other card) could increase the value of your Silk Roads, Fairgrounds, Gardens, Feodum and decrease the value of your Paradoxes, resulting in an overall decrease in victory points.

Yes, this was the intent, the text was not the best (neither the idea, was just there to illustrate the point). Thanks for taking the time to clarify.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.861 seconds with 21 queries.