Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  All

Author Topic: So the new Hinterlands cards are coming out... thoughts?  (Read 104733 times)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: So the new Hinterlands cards are coming out... thoughts?
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2011, 08:07:48 pm »

I don't think so. With masquerade, I'm pretty sure you don't "gain" a card, it's just passed to you. (nor is it "trashed").

FarHorizon

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2011, 08:11:08 pm »

Double Tactician could be quite fun with Crossroads, particularly if there's a victory-action or victory-treasure card in play.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2011, 09:18:56 pm »

How would mandarin interact with royal seal? It seems both card texts should trigger simultaneously on gaining of the mandarin.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »

The Mandarin seems like another cunningly designed card. At the time when you want to buy a rich action card, you often don't want to put treasures on top of your deck. At the time when you want to put treasures on top of your deck, you often don't want to be buying action cards.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »

You know what's not very good? The Fool's Gold in the Black Market deck.

WallyNate

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »

I feel so dirty...  I just won a game by opening Duchy/Crossroads  :-\

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »

Still better than the Treasure Map in the Black Market deck.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:08 am »

At least it can eventually be trashed into a Gold.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2011, 02:12:16 am »

How would mandarin interact with royal seal? It seems both card texts should trigger simultaneously on gaining of the mandarin.

I think this was spelled out in the Seaside rulebook (clarifying Durations), maybe earlier: if two things try to happen in the same time, you get to choose the order. Things trying to happen to multiple players at the same time happen in turn order.

edit: To directly answer your specific case, the Treasures and Mandarin will both end up on top your deck, with the Mandarin either on the very top, or just under the returned Treasures, your choice.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:15:03 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2011, 03:04:42 am »

remodelling border villages into provinces is strong werk

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2011, 08:18:19 am »

Crossroads: this thing either falls flat on its face or explodes a deck; it goes back and forth from turn to turn.  A crazy dirty engine card for 2.  Like, omg.  When was the last time anyone was upset that they didn't have a handful of green?  This card is a game-changer.  I really don't understand how it made it in... like Chapel it is cost 2 so it is readily available for everyone?

Mandarin: we will be discovering new uses for this card for months.  I might compare it to Horse Traders or Courtyard, but in my secret heart it reminds me most of Apothecary: a swiss army knife that is both subtle and powerful in combos and by itself.   

Fool's Gold: board dependent but situationally awesome, this is what i would consider a more typical Dominion card.  Like HoPlenty, I see myself losing many games in the future to this card by failing to recognize its usefulness until it is too late.

Border Village:  the most meh of the set so far by my lights.  It is a pretty good card but its usefulness is in facilitating other good cards and will be strengthened or weakened by which power cards each Kingdom includes.

Trader:  this card suffers from the Bureaucrat affliction: it never improves the hand it turns up in.  Furthermore, when dealing with Silver it is not good to effectively have a three card hand down the stretch, so it wastes a spot in many late  hands.  The effing thing reminds you of this by offering to trade you a Silver for whatever mediocre card you managed to buy.   If playing Trader is part of the plan than throw any idea about an engine into the Wishing Well, unless you can really get a tight engine going and use it strictly to trash copper.  In this role it is much much worse than Salvager, which can and does end games very quickly.  It is a good counter to opponents fiddling with your deck.  This card is not Bureaucrat, it is his paranoid and short-sighted fraternal twin.  But here is a hint for you intermediate players:  sometimes Bureaucrat is a really good choice.

Nomad Camp:  an improved Woodcutter.  It will have its uses and be okay when it is needed.  The chance to game a cheap $5 second turn buy adds some more variance to the game but it is made up for by the topdeck ability I guess.   
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2011, 11:36:15 am »

I think this was spelled out in the Seaside rulebook (clarifying Durations), maybe earlier: if two things try to happen in the same time, you get to choose the order. Things trying to happen to multiple players at the same time happen in turn order.

edit: To directly answer your specific case, the Treasures and Mandarin will both end up on top your deck, with the Mandarin either on the very top, or just under the returned Treasures, your choice.

Hmm. If you resolve royal seal first, mandarin goes on top of your deck, then the treasures go on top, because mandarin's card text just says when gained. But if you resolve mandarin first, treasures go on top of the deck and when you go to resolve royal seal's text, it is no longer in play, so would mandarin not go on top then?

If you do get to choose the order of resolution, then I feel the two options would be mandarin goes on top, treasures go on top of that; or treasures go on top, mandarin goes to discard.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2011, 12:13:41 pm »

No. Once effects have been activated, they WILL occur. So when Royal Seal is in play and you buy a Mandarin, you have activated 2 effects:

1. Royal Seal gives you the option of putting Mandarin on top of your deck.
2. Mandarin puts your in-play treasures on top of your deck.

These effects both want to happen at the same time, so the player chooses the order. If you choose to do them in order 1-2, you first MAY put Mandarin on top of your deck, and then MUST put your in-play treasures on top of your deck. If you choose to do them in order 2-1 you first MUST put your in-play treasures on top of your deck, and then MAY put Mandarin on top of your deck. You do not go back between these effects to "check" that the other one still applies before activating it. It has already activated and is waiting in a queue for its effects to occur.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2011, 02:07:09 pm »

2nding TINAS, who has it exactly right.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2011, 02:35:43 pm »

OK that makes sense. Thanks guys.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2011, 02:47:27 pm »

I'm sure this is an obvious observation, but Nomad Camp is awesome in games with gainers and non-terminal drawing. Need a buy this turn? Ironworks, Village, hey what do you know—it's a +buy!

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2011, 11:03:13 pm »

Maybe I'm misreading it but crossroads looks too strong.. practically strictly better than cellar!

play2draw

« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2011, 11:15:51 pm »

Maybe I'm misreading it but crossroads looks too strong.. practically strictly better than cellar!

It's not strictly better than Cellar. I'd much prefer a draw of Cellar and four coppers than a Crossroads and four coppers. In a deck where you're not loading-up on victory points, without a supporting card to help with draws, it'll probably average out to be +1 card, +3 actions most of the time. Crossroads only gets really good when you hit a critical mass of VP, but if your deck is dense in VP cards, then you also have a better chance of drawing VP cards when you play a Crossroads. Crossroads requires a better balance of card types, whereas most any deck can improve with a Cellar.

Now in a deck with Great Halls, Nobles, or Harems, Crossroads is a no-brainer.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2011, 11:23:26 pm »

crossroads is unusual in that it shares its name with a bone thugs n' harmony hit and i have no idea how to play with it. it seems to combo with many things. even scout.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2011, 11:41:31 pm »

@ehunt: that is by far and away the best connection I have ever seen. But actually, a great song, a great group, a great game, a great card. My compliments to you. Maybe this will help to encourage my brother, a big fan of Bone Thugs, to play more often.

+1

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2011, 01:46:24 am »

Okay, I have just played my first game with Crossroads, and I must say... tentatively... a bit... overpowered? (Resisting the urge to say the 'B' word.) Okay so this game had Baron, and more importantly, I suppose, Harem. Also Tactician, which helped kick-start some massive turns. I'm talking playing Crossroads for seven cards. Seven. And it's either a mega-Village or the first three are non-terminals. The only other drawer of that magnitude (that I can think of) is Apprentice, and it costs you big time to do it. Okay, it probably helped that my opponent let me buy 7 Harems (and congratulated me for thinking to buy them).

I think it's also worth noting that Chapel was on the board, and went unbought. I think a Chapel deck would have been destroyed in this game.

Okay, so I suppose for me to get a more balanced view of this card, I'll have to play some games with it where it's not the clearly dominant strategy. It will be interesting how it goes without something like Harem to boost it. But, in my only experience with it, it far outclassed "the most powerful Dominion card relative to its cost" (or would have if either of us had bought it).

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2011, 03:15:50 am »

More previews are out here.

Ill-Gotten Gains - $5
Treasure

$1

When you play this, you may gain a Copper, putting it in your hand.
---
When you gain this, each other player gains a Curse.

Develop - $3
Action

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it and a card costing exactly $1 less than it, in either order, putting them on top of your deck.

Develop looks like a fun card to open with, simply for the early silver top-deck. It's interesting to note that if you open 3/4 and the opening buys collide on Turn 3, you can trash the $4 and topdeck a $5 card and another Develop for a guaranteed Topdeck Gold after Turn 4. I have no clue how Ill-Gotten gains will end up playing out. The played effect might be useful in the late game or in Gardens games if you ever hit $5,
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:18:12 am by biopower »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2011, 03:20:38 am »

Two more cards! :D Finally! Sunday was rough...

Also, ninja'd! I was just about to post the two cards. :P

I think the name IGG will take some getting used to. It seems too long and awkward to me. The card itself is kind of cool, but probably something you want to get rid of if you can.

I like the new twist Develop puts on Remodelling. It seems worthy of more than $3 to me, possibly on a similar power level to Remodel and Remake. But what do I know?

Anyway, they both seem fun.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2011, 03:21:55 am »

New Cards!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D => Linky link: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/712180/previews-4

The Curse-on-Gain is out, aaaargh!!!!

Edit: Someone posted the cards while I compiled this message, so I removed them.

First thoughts: A Curse-on-gain, aaaargh! And it says that you may gain a Copper. I think every Curse-on-gain is somewhat nerfed due to the fact that they're one-shots. And how many IGGs do you want just to hamper your opponents? This is a $5-cost, so do you want this over a Witch which you can use over and over? I wonder...

Develop still works well with your coppers and Estates, since you don't get anything back from Coppers (as you most often want) and you can still grab Silver/Nothing or Village/Nothing from your Estates. Still, it's a one-card trashing terminal and Steward trashes two for its $3, so there. In the higher echelons, this +1/-1 trashing works even weirder, since if you use it on a $5, you could grab a Gold, but then you have to grab a $4 which could be a useless terminal. And using it on a Platinum lets you grab a Province (having to put it on deck), but not something better. I could see it getting used on $7s like a no longer needed Forge -> Province + Gold, but when would you buy this card?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2011, 04:10:58 am »

Just played a game with IGG and Remake. Something to watch out for: the game can end really suddenly if everyone goes for IGG. If it's the only Curser and there's no Traders or Ambassador, the IGGs and Curses will run out together. I wasn't paying attention and I bought a Bank er depleting the 2nd and 3rd piles. Luckily I had managed to get rid of one more Curse than my opponent, and I won by a point.

So it seems pretty interesting. I wonder how it will stack up against more traditional Cursers, and whether it will still be worth it with no trash-for-benefit cards.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  All

Page created in 1.567 seconds with 21 queries.