Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Purpose of Thief  (Read 12263 times)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
Re: The Purpose of Thief
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »

Thief.
Thanks, this post was a laugh riot! The "actually playing with strategy" comment created an especially intense explosion of mirth, as if you imagine I look at CR stats and always blindly buy the card with the highest statistical win rate. That, and "Come play 6p games with my groupthink collective. You'll never survive having all your Coppers trashed for free!"

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »

Thief.
Thanks, this post was a laugh riot! The "actually playing with strategy" comment created an especially intense explosion of mirth, as if you imagine I look at CR stats and always blindly buy the card with the highest statistical win rate. That, and "Come play 6p games with my groupthink collective. You'll never survive having all your Coppers trashed for free!"

Although, that could be an interesting challenge. Possibly getting Thiefed five times a round? Okay, it probably averages out to twice a round, but if you don't have a Thief yourself, you could possibly find yourself in a treasureless game.

If that happens with Steward, Festival, and Minion, then I'd say bring it on and skip the Thief. If there are no action cards with money, I would actually be afraid of that game.

Sometimes, the real challenge is overcoming group think (especially if multiple people buy Saboteurs).
A man has no signature

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 02:42:45 pm »

If it happens in any game with a good source of virtual money, not just those. Fishing village, lighthouse, conspirator (if there's a village or cantrip around), vault, etc. In all of those situations, 5 opponents opening thief seems like a net *benefit* to me, not a loss.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »

Although, that could be an interesting challenge. Possibly getting Thiefed five times a round? Okay, it probably averages out to twice a round, but if you don't have a Thief yourself, you could possibly find yourself in a treasureless game.
Yes, it's going to be a slog if there are no +coin actions or something insanely unlucky happens like you draw all 3 of your Estates at both turn 3 and turn 4. But hey, you're last player in a 6p game, so even under normal circumstances you weren't going to win. Oh, and the other comforting thing is that the people who bought Thieves aren't really any better off than you even if they've succeeded in warping the game.

Also, 6p Dominion is Chaos Circus Hour, not any kind of actually-credible deep strategy game... so there's that.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.