Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 83  All

Author Topic: RMM8 Innovation Inc. (Plagiarists Win!)  (Read 196093 times)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: RMM8 Innovation Inc. (Day 2!)
« Reply #1700 on: July 11, 2013, 10:29:41 am »

Well, anyone who is making your skin crawl right now?

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 11, 2013, 10:35:46 am »

Well, anyone who is making your skin crawl right now?

And therein lies the rub.  I'll try to translate my feelings here into a brief list, with the most notable thing in an attempt to explain.

Ahoppy is, but that could be OMGUS taking effect.

Shraeye and xeiron are - shraeye for the "oh, that explains (rivalry thing I can't talk about but PINL I'm not scum)" - but lord knows why, maybe it's legit that it's not explainable without giving scum too much - and xeiron for "I HAZ IDEA AND I CANNOT ESPLAIN EVEN THOUGH MYLO" - again, the seed of doubt exists that maybe this is legitimate.

Nkirbit's tunneling xeiron hard, so one of them is probably scum (or even potentially a bus).

I see you yourself mention Theorel, but he's never really ding-ding-dinged for me.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 11, 2013, 10:51:28 am »

I went back and reviewed the AHoppy case.  I still think it was weak, and that ultimately it was about his lurking.  Here's the case as I understand it:

-AHoppy talked theory early on, while noting that we should probably get to scumhunting.  While "real scumhunting" was going on.  I was there, I was talking theory, I don't think scumhunting was really going on.  There were two "non-RVS" claimed votes, and maybe the thing between shraeye and efhw at that time?  That was as much transition-out-of-RVS stuff as the theory talk was.

-AHoppy is away a lot, and pops up when his name is mentioned.  i.e. he's lurking.

-He said he would reread in the evening, and then come evening, he said he was starting to reread, and then 3 hours later, he posted stuff about it.  Then a day later, he finished the reread and started posting reads and contributing more.

I said yesterday that this was a null case.  I hold that this was a null case.  It's not as bad as ashersky's case on efhw was, because, yeah he was lurking, and that's a case.  But it is in no way compelling, and I'm frankly not surprised that people who thought it was a weak case yesterday aren't bringing it up.

Now, today, AHoppy has attacked chairs a bit, and threatened to vote for xeiron.  That could be suspicious if he's going for easy cases, or it could be town looking at the most suspicious things that have happened this game.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:23 am »

Which do you think it is, Theorel? You're giving us two options to choose from, but not stating your opinion on the matter. Do you think he's towny?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 11, 2013, 11:00:05 am »

That's a decent amount of people, but that's in line with my list of finding most people in the game scummy too. Are they all at about the same level, or are there some that stick out more than others?

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 11, 2013, 11:08:38 am »

That's a decent amount of people, but that's in line with my list of finding most people in the game scummy too. Are they all at about the same level, or are there some that stick out more than others?

Initially nkirbit was my strongest itch.  Right now the cryptic responses from both xeiron and shraeye have me twitchy, though.  If I had to scum to chum the list I gave, based on overall game...

On a 1-10 scale where 10 is scum and 1 is chum..

nkirbit 7.5
ahoppy 6
xeiron 6
shraeye 7
theorel 5
TA 3

Who else is still in? So many people died last night I've forgotten.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:09 am »

I will say that if we lynched Ahoppy and he flipped scum, it would increase my suspicion of theorel.  And (if I'm on the same page as everybody else) if he flipped town we lose, right?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 11, 2013, 11:14:36 am »

I agree that Ahoppy flipping scum would increase my suspicion of Theorel (although I already have him higher than you do). He'd be the most likely mover who instead of going to the Ahoppy wagon went to the mail-mi one.

Yes, very possibly. Not 100% certain, since we could doc the NK or make it miss somehow, but odds are if we hit town, we're at 3 scum, 4 town heading into N2. If scum can kill a townie, then it's game over.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16:43 am »

Can you explain what about Nkirbit is making you worry? (Sorry that I'm asking youa lot of questions right now, but I'm trying to get your reads out here!)

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 11, 2013, 11:30:34 am »

Okay, I'm going to do some more team analysis based on whether AHoppy is scum or not.  It yields somewhat useful results for me, that are not probably as useful for other players.

If AHoppy is scum, then there was a wagon on scum yesterday.  Other scum players interacted with that wagon...So, let's see how that might have happened:

xeiron-eevee: this means that we had 3 wagons on scum, xeiron saved himself through a crazy-plan claim, eevee through a cop-claim, and AHoppy by starting a wagon on mail-mi.  This is just so contrived, that I cannot conceive it.

I'm explicitly ignoring xeiron-AHoppy NOT EEVEE because I cannot believe that someone would fake-claim cop in order to save a townie when the other viable lynch was his partner.  And then NOT bus.  I mean seriously I don't know how anyone could entertain that idea.

shraeye: pushed the AHoppy lynch alongside raerae.  This could be strong bussing, and the fact that raerae kind of started it makes it much more feasible.
TwistedArcher: on and off the AHoppy lynch, this looks more like typical bussing.

chairs/nkirbit: both voted AHoppy yesterday, but jumped the wagon for mail-mi.

I would then expect one of twistedarcher-shraeye, one of chairs-nkirbit, and AHoppy as the team.  That seems pretty reasonable for reasonable bussing situations, while trying to avoid too strongly going after a town-wagon.
Which brings the Eevee-wagon into play.  If they were trying to avoid going too strongly after a town-wagon, then twistedarcher doesn't fit (since all 3 would have been on Eevee).

So, I think if AHoppy is scum, shraeye is likely also scum going for a strong bus, and one of chairs/nkirbit is likely the third.

What if AHoppy is town?
Then we had 2 town wagons going on, and scum was deciding which town wagon to take on. There's not a strong reason to take mail-mi over AHoppy as far as I can tell, except possibly positioning. So, could 3-scum be on wagon with AHoppy town?

xeiron-eevee-?
nkirbit seems unlikely here. Weird combination of bussing and saving going on among the team.
chairs is possible.  And fits well enough.
shraeye/twistedarcher both fit well enough.

xeiron-not eevee?
well, here xeiron could have saved eevee for the town-cred, confident that the other wagon was on town (or wagons if you count efhw).  Then he started one on mail-mi.  Okay, I think I can see the crazy-for-towncred plan here that makes Eevee town, as long as AHoppy is also town.

nkirbit still seems relatively unlikely for his strong bus, but I'm not familiar enough with nkirbit to judge it's likeliness without other stuff to back it up.  If I assume that nkirbit wouldn't strong-bus his partner like this, then we have chairs as scum with an off-wagon player.  twistedarcher could work here, as could shraeye.

Finally, we have nkirbit-chairs-off-wagon player.  I think that TwistedArcher doesn't fit in as well there, since they would have moved as a block from Eevee to AHoppy, which seems less likely.  So, shraeye comes up again.

Okay, so AHoppy scum->strong suspicions of shraeye as scum.  strong suspicions that xeiron is town.

AHoppy town->middling-strong suspicions that xeiron is scum and nkirbit is town.  Minimal distinction between twistedarcher/shraeye here, and a possibility that they're both town.

And this is why these analyses are often considered useless I suppose.  Before writing it out, it was looking possible that regardless of AHoppy's alignment shraeye would come up scummy, but the analysis didn't bear that out.  So, that makes for 8 "reasonable" scum-teams from my perspective:
AHoppy-nkirbit-shraeye
AHoppy-chairs-shraeye
xeiron-eevee-chairs
xeiron-eevee-twistedarcher
xeiron-eevee-shraeye
xeiron-chairs-twistedarcher
xeiron-chairs-shraeye
nkirbit-chairs-shraeye

Some of those discarded are not really weak enough to discount entirely, but for simplicity I'm looking at these ones as the "most likely" cases.  I think that I'm reasonably allowing for scums attempts to misdirect.
If this is accurate then it makes shraeye, chairs, and xeiron most likely to flip scum (assuming all combinations are equal). 

Hmm...I didn't consider both off-wagon though.  Let me add that:
shraeye-twistedarcher
this could combine with:
xeiron, chairs, nkirbit, and AHoppy all okay.  I think these are less likely than the cases above though, if only because it means that only 1 scum managed to push the mail-mi mislynch while both scum were pushing the AHoppy mislynch (or correct lynch, if they were).  Yeah, I'm just going to say that this is low enough probability not to include.

So, I think shraeye, chairs, and xeiron are most likely to flip scum given the ways the wagon build yesterday.  Based purely on reads, I lean shraeye or xeiron, with the added bonus that every likely combination (IMO) contains at least one of them.  This fits with my more general feelings regarding player's behaviors also.  I'll have to think some on which one I prefer, but I think this analysis proved fruitful.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: July 11, 2013, 11:38:53 am »

Which do you think it is, Theorel? You're giving us two options to choose from, but not stating your opinion on the matter. Do you think he's towny?

Schrodinger's Cat.  I don't know which it is, and make no attempt to say it is one or the other.

If someone does something which only makes sense for scum, then they are a lot scummier for it, but technically they could be doing something as town that just doesn't make sense.  (Town does this sometimes anyways, some players more than others)

If someone does something that can make sense as town or as scum, then they're slightly scummier for it.  It makes sense either way, but if you do lots of things that makes sense for scum, well that's what scum does.

If someone does something that only makes sense for town, then they're townier for it.  Sometimes scum does these things, but ultimately if we find people scummy for being pro-town then we're defeating ourselves.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 11, 2013, 11:41:22 am »

shraeye: pushed the AHoppy lynch alongside raerae.  This could be strong bussing, and the fact that raerae kind of started it makes it much more feasible.
TwistedArcher: on and off the AHoppy lynch, this looks more like typical bussing.

This part reads so contrived to fit into your "one of Shraeye/TA must be scum, we're better off lynching there!" argument.

I don't think Shraeye would buss that strongly D1, he didn't have an incentive to when there were many, many viable wagons out there. Scum's priority D1 is to lynch town, and Shraeye sat on Ahoppy for a large part of the day, instead of moving other lynches forward. I just don't see sitting on Ahoppy all day, if Shraeye is scum, being in scum's best interest.

For me, you're saying that I decided to bus my partner, the alternative wagon, while strongly opposing the wagon building on a towny. Bussing is a thing, yes, but that just seems silly to me. Getting lynched D1 is bad for scum, and I don't think they bus unless it's very apparent that the partner is going down.

Everything you are posting is leading to the "one of Shraeye and TA MUST be scum" argument, which just seems forced. I get, from reading your post, that you're trying to come up with logical situations to get to this conclusion, rather than letting the logic guide you.

This post made it more likely to me that all 3 scum were on wagon.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 11, 2013, 11:44:20 am »

Schrodinger's Cat.  I don't know which it is, and make no attempt to say it is one or the other.

If someone does something which only makes sense for scum, then they are a lot scummier for it, but technically they could be doing something as town that just doesn't make sense.  (Town does this sometimes anyways, some players more than others)

If someone does something that can make sense as town or as scum, then they're slightly scummier for it.  It makes sense either way, but if you do lots of things that makes sense for scum, well that's what scum does.

If someone does something that only makes sense for town, then they're townier for it.  Sometimes scum does these things, but ultimately if we find people scummy for being pro-town then we're defeating ourselves.

Well, you putting out the possibilities, but not giving your opinion, is a great way for scum to see what town things, and then just go along with that.

You are laying out tons of logical possibilities, but not really saying which ones you think are most likely. I understand this is how you play to a large extent (and I totally understand that), but it leaves you with a lot of flexibility to hop on a lot of town wagons (if you're scum) by saying "Yeah, I can see a scenario where that guy is scum", since almost everyone would fit in that category.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45:30 am »

Can you explain what about Nkirbit is making you worry? (Sorry that I'm asking youa lot of questions right now, but I'm trying to get your reads out here!)

The tunnel vision he's had on Xeiron just feels a little contrived.

You make some interesting points, but I agree with TA that it feels like you're perhaps leaning a bit.  I will try to find time today (no guarantees) to reread how the Ahoppy bus got started to see how smoothly it fits with what you're suggesting here.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 11, 2013, 12:02:17 pm »

This part reads so contrived to fit into your "one of Shraeye/TA must be scum, we're better off lynching there!" argument.

I don't think Shraeye would buss that strongly D1, he didn't have an incentive to when there were many, many viable wagons out there. Scum's priority D1 is to lynch town, and Shraeye sat on Ahoppy for a large part of the day, instead of moving other lynches forward. I just don't see sitting on Ahoppy all day, if Shraeye is scum, being in scum's best interest.

For me, you're saying that I decided to bus my partner, the alternative wagon, while strongly opposing the wagon building on a towny. Bussing is a thing, yes, but that just seems silly to me. Getting lynched D1 is bad for scum, and I don't think they bus unless it's very apparent that the partner is going down.

Everything you are posting is leading to the "one of Shraeye and TA MUST be scum" argument, which just seems forced. I get, from reading your post, that you're trying to come up with logical situations to get to this conclusion, rather than letting the logic guide you.

This post made it more likely to me that all 3 scum were on wagon.
I don't disagree. I had a bias going into it, because I was expecting to get a result that more strongly pointed to shraeye as scum.  (I even said as much).  But by the time I was analyzing the AHoppy not-scum situation I realized that wasn't happening.  I should probably review the AHoppy-as-scum section for accuracy, with that bias more dead.

Also, I will note that a MAJOR component to the argument regarding shraeye's potential bussing is the fact that it's shraeye.  I would not at all be surprised for shraeye to bus a team-mate hard for a long time, especially with town-raerae agreeing with him.  I would not rate that probability nearly as highly for any other player in the game.

I also completely disagree that scum wouldn't bus a team-mate while decrying a wagon building on a townie.  Especially for someone as talkative as yourself.  You couldn't sit and do nothing, you had to say something.  You had an extant town-read on mail-mi.  For you to do otherwise would look highly suspect.  I'll note that you DID do otherwise with Eevee where you had not previously declared a strong town-read.  You also could have been concerned that the lynch on AHoppy would go through, and didn't want to be caught off-wagon.  That's what ends up creating more common bussing situations, a player concerned that things will quickly shift onto a team-mate and they won't have time to get on wagon if they get off.

Actually, you've convinced me, you should be a possibility in case of AHoppy as scum.

The question is would scum-AHoppy bus scum-chairs as he has today?  Possibly, with scum in a strong position they might consider it.  However, I'll lean against it for the moment, and say that if AHoppy is scum, nkirbit makes much more sense than chairs.  So, that changes the 8 to:
AHoppy-nkirbit-twistedarcher
AHoppy-nkirbit-shraeye
xeiron-eevee-chairs
xeiron-eevee-twistedarcher
xeiron-eevee-shraeye
xeiron-chairs-twistedarcher
xeiron-chairs-shraeye
nkirbit-chairs-shraeye

Which makes xeiron more likely than shraeye or chairs now.  Sadly leaves a possibility in place that doesn't have either xeiron or shraeye.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 11, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »

Well now that we have your list of possible teams (and if I could bet on it, I'd bet that the team is probably something else), how do we proceed in choosing the correct person to lynch? I think in a lot of ways the impact of your list is to confirm that everyone could be a potential scum, while not pushing us any closer to any individual team. Logic can be very useful, but it can also be a way to say things without actually giving your opinion.

If you had to lynch one person right now, who would it be?

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 11, 2013, 02:55:32 pm »

Well now that we have your list of possible teams (and if I could bet on it, I'd bet that the team is probably something else), how do we proceed in choosing the correct person to lynch? I think in a lot of ways the impact of your list is to confirm that everyone could be a potential scum, while not pushing us any closer to any individual team. Logic can be very useful, but it can also be a way to say things without actually giving your opinion.

If you had to lynch one person right now, who would it be?
I gave definite conclusions there (and before), that I lean towards xerion or shraeye and commented that it would take more thought to decide between them.  Which is far more conclusion than you've given in any of your posts.

You seem to be more interested in finding out who everyone else wants to lynch than in actually advancing your own reads.  Your generic list where everyone has the possibility of being scum, is a great way to say things without actually giving an opinion.  So, if you had to lynch one person right now who would it be?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 11, 2013, 02:58:04 pm »

Shraeye. My list was scum to town. Followed closely by Ahoppy.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 11, 2013, 03:19:28 pm »

I'd be okay with a Shraeye lynch.

Where's everybody else gone?

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 11, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »

I'd be okay with a Shraeye lynch.

Where's everybody else gone?

I am probably ok with a shraeye lynch, but I would like a massclaim first. I think that would clear him if he is town, and we are not in the position to take risks.

Another reson for massclaim that I have not mentioned before is that if we add flavor claiming, chairs could check if somebody fakeclaims.
Edison as an example is such a scummy flavor  that Shraeye, if scum, probably has a fakeclaim laying by that he never got to use.

Flavorclaiming makes chairs power stronger.

For more information on why i think edison is scummy, check out all the internet campaigns marking tesla as a hero, and edison as a major asshole and theif
www.cracked.com/article_16072_5-famous-inventors-who-stole-their-big-idea.html
www.cracked.com/article_14870_7-great-men-in-history-and-why-you-should-hate-them_p2.html
listverse.com/2012/06/07/10-ways-edison-treated-tesla-like-a-jerk/
These kind of articles are widespread on the internet and they do their job in making Edison the first name to pop up when thinking about scummy/unplesant/douchebaggy inventors

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 11, 2013, 08:12:44 pm »

That's certainly a point against Shraeye, but I'd hardly call it damning.

You didn't mention flavor claiming in your mass claim plan before, but you are mentioning it now, as soon as it would possibly incriminate someone who was already one of your top reads?

How would a massclaim clear Shraeye? Based off of information you have, or based off of information that's available to the rest of us? Keep in mind, no one here is going to take your word that SHraeye is town just because you say it -- you'll have to prove it with information that's public and believable if we eventually mass claim.

If Edison's the "scummiest" inventor, then I doubt we'll have anyone fakeclaiming flavor. So Chairs will just verify our claims, but I doubt anyone would have a reason to lie in the first place. Plus, we don't know that chairs is town.

I'm still against a fakeclaim. I'd need more reason than "I'd be able to puzzle out who the town are, leaving us with the rest as scum". Once again, I don't think you'd be able to do this!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 11, 2013, 11:43:00 pm »

Why do you think a massclaim would clear Shraeye if he is town?

Again, I'm fully opposed to any mass claim that doesn't start with Xeiron claiming absolutely everything he knows.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 12, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »

Okay, I've thought about it some.  First, there's something that twistedarcher has mentioned a couple of times that was tickling at the back of my brain.  Particularly regarding how there's some contradiction about xeiron where we have said "he's crazy for X, but wouldn't do Y because that would be crazy".  I think that's false.  If xeiron is scum, I don't see any of his actions as counter-intuitive.  Here's my "scum-narrative" for xeiron:
-xeiron goes along trying to appear pro-town without doing much.  But gets called out for his play, and comes under pressure.

-He decides that his best bet to get out from pressure is to make an outlandish claim about a crazy plan that can buy him at least a couple days.  To lend the most credulity to his claim, he puts a no lynch with it, because it makes it seem less scummy.  He does this hoping to remind people of his town-play in Shakespeare.

-While voting no lynch, he's not really pushing town cases, partner Eevee comes under attack.  He sees the alternative lynches, figures any of them would be alright, makes a one-shot cop claim clearing Eevee.  This is somewhat risky, because there might be another cop, but one-shot cop claims for town-cred are feasible (hence he's not directly outing his partner), and he figures if he can get a cop lynched it would be worth it.  After all, he's established a strong town-read from other players.  (Note: there are alternative explanations, including that he did do it for pure town-cred.  I find those less likely, but not impossible.).

-He starts a wagon on mail-mi in hopes that AHoppy will go through without his support, thereby completing his town-cred grabbing for the day.

-Today he finds scum in a pretty good position, needs something to continue his "crazy" plan, and decides that the best way to do so is request a mass-claim.  Worst case scenario, he gives good direction to his partners by showing where all the best items are, best case scenario he can make up something for his plan to frame a townie.

None of this requires xeiron to be a crazy player, it requires him to be a smart scum-player looking to build off of his town-meta.  Anyways, if AHoppy was scum, then xeiron would have to be crazy.  I don't think xeiron is that crazy, therefore I think that IF xeiron is scum, AHoppy is town.

Anyways, it's also possible that xeiron is town, and is just playing a typical anti-town townie game of keeping information secret, being confusing, and not sharing because he's paranoid that once the info is out there scum will take advantage of it.  I don't LIKE that kind of play, because it's anti-town, and I just generally think an unwillingness to share a strategy is foolish, a strategy that will fail once scum knows about it has likely already failed.  That's more generally just not in my make-up for how to play games, you don't keep strategies secret, you keep information secret.  (See Mage Knight 1 where I give strategic advice to other players, and pops reprimands me for it :P.)

@xeiron: you need to adjust your strategy.  I can already tell you it's flawed.  It's flawed because it requires everyone to trust you, and everyone doesn't trust you.  There's a huge gaping flaw in your strategy, and it needs to be amended.  IF you cannot execute your strategy without the trust of the entire town, and your strategy does not include a way to gain the trust of the entire town, then it fails.  It is NOT a game-winning strategy.

Everyone but you is opposed to a mass-claim.  (if you're town) Either you have some information that makes the claim far better than everyone thinks it will be, or you have some strategy that makes it far better than everyone thinks, or you're just WRONG and it will actually make things worse.  Either you explain why it makes things better, or you console yourself to the fact that you're not getting your way, and try and formulate a new strategy that will actually work.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 12, 2013, 01:30:42 pm »

Sorry for the random wall-of-text.  I realized it was unrelated to my vote, so I just posted it.

In thinking about it, I think shraeye is the better lynch candidate.  He makes sense in combination with more players, even if in fewer combinations overall.  shraeye was also off-wagon, and ignoring the wagon analysis, I just find it more likely that there was a scum off-wagon.  shraeye looks more like that scum than twistedarcher.

so, vote: shraeye

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 12, 2013, 03:32:12 pm »

I agree with theorel (about xeiron).

@xeiron: you need to adjust your strategy.  I can already tell you it's flawed.  It's flawed because it requires everyone to trust you, and everyone doesn't trust you.  There's a huge gaping flaw in your strategy, and it needs to be amended.  IF you cannot execute your strategy without the trust of the entire town, and your strategy does not include a way to gain the trust of the entire town, then it fails.  It is NOT a game-winning strategy.
This is SO spot on!

I've been going back and forth whether I suspect theorel or shraeye more (Ahoppy is up there too). Vote: shraeye
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 83  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 20 queries.