Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 83  All

Author Topic: RMM8 Innovation Inc. (Plagiarists Win!)  (Read 196070 times)

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
Re: RMM8 Innovation Inc. (Day 2!)
« Reply #1625 on: July 09, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »

Chairs, if Xeiron is scum, what do you think of the (likely, in my mind) possibility that Eevee is his scumbuddy?

I don't recall what Eevee has done, offhand, that was scummy, and trying to reread anybody in this is just driving me insane.  Are there any points in particular that you're thinking of?

I can't say for sure what TwistedArcher is thinking of, but xeiron claimed an innocent cop result on Eevee when Eevee was at L-1.  What are the chances that a scum xeiron would make a cop claim in order to exonerate a townie?  I mean, he was chancing a counter-claim (although I don't know what the chances would be of cop and tracker), which just seems a little much to chance purely for town-cred in my mind.  The more I think about it, the more likely I find it that they're both town or both scum. 

Some part of me is leaning towards both town at this point, but on the other hand, I feel like scum has perhaps been playing these "out-there" games where they tie themselves together with one another and so avoid being lynched (a la Eevee/yuma in Mean Girls...supporting fake claims can be hard to find suspect).  I'm not sure if this bears out, but it would explain why we're ending up with either scum wins or town wins flawlessly situations lately.  Hmm...I think I'll stick with leaning town at least for the risk xeiron took in the claim.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 09, 2013, 12:15:26 pm »

Chairs, if Xeiron is scum, what do you think of the (likely, in my mind) possibility that Eevee is his scumbuddy?

I don't recall what Eevee has done, offhand, that was scummy, and trying to reread anybody in this is just driving me insane.  Are there any points in particular that you're thinking of?

Xeiron picked eevee as his cop target

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: July 09, 2013, 12:51:40 pm »

I can't say for sure what TwistedArcher is thinking of, but xeiron claimed an innocent cop result on Eevee when Eevee was at L-1.  What are the chances that a scum xeiron would make a cop claim in order to exonerate a townie?  I mean, he was chancing a counter-claim (although I don't know what the chances would be of cop and tracker), which just seems a little much to chance purely for town-cred in my mind.  The more I think about it, the more likely I find it that they're both town or both scum. 

Some part of me is leaning towards both town at this point, but on the other hand, I feel like scum has perhaps been playing these "out-there" games where they tie themselves together with one another and so avoid being lynched (a la Eevee/yuma in Mean Girls...supporting fake claims can be hard to find suspect).  I'm not sure if this bears out, but it would explain why we're ending up with either scum wins or town wins flawlessly situations lately.  Hmm...I think I'll stick with leaning town at least for the risk xeiron took in the claim.

Agree that this is a crazy ploy. But I think that's pretty consistent with Xeiron's play in recent games.

They're probably linked together, but not definitely. I think it's a mistake to say that one's flip will all but reveal the alignment of the other -- I could see Xeiron as scum claiming that he copped Eevee. You're right about it being very risky with tracker/watcher, though.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: July 09, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »

Also, I'm against the mass claim as well. It would just help scum solve the game and make fake claims easier

No, it will help town solve the game. We are probably at mylo right now, so we should make it or goal to lynch scum tonight with all means necessary. Yes we can get a lucky save from a doctor, but that is nothing to rely on.
I will gladly exchange our doctor for a better chanse of hitting scum today.

And I thing my order of claiming minimizes scum's chance of fake-claiming.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 09, 2013, 01:26:20 pm »

Also, I'm against the mass claim as well. It would just help scum solve the game and make fake claims easier

No, it will help town solve the game. We are probably at mylo right now, so we should make it or goal to lynch scum tonight with all means necessary. Yes we can get a lucky save from a doctor, but that is nothing to rely on.

Changed your tune a bit... didn't you just want a no lynch? And what do you mean by "lynch tonight", we lynch during the day, scum kills at night. Unless you're a vig, but ours died...

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 09, 2013, 01:27:10 pm »

Right. But here's the problem:

Say we massclaim. If we catch a liar (which I'm not convinced we would), great. If we don't, then it doesn't help us.

But say we do lynch scum today. We still need to survive two more nights. We've let scum know every item in the game, and every power in the game. That just can't be good. They'll probably be able to get really awesome items to destroy town in subsequent nights.

The only way this works is if a massclaim could catch out all 3 scum, and at this point, I'm doubtful that it would even catch one -- scum must have been provided fakeclaims, or just be people such as Edison who you can't identify as scum by their name. Or by their items.

Say Shraeye really is scum, and he's Edison. What about this claim implicates him as scum? I just don't think this really has any utility in catching scum.

I'm really interested to be proven wrong, and would love to hear your views on this, but I don't think the utility of a massclaim outweighs the possibility that it won't catch scum, and that revealing every item in the game to scum would be a complete disaster.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 09, 2013, 01:27:25 pm »

What gives scum oppurtunity to make good fakeclaims is when we leak information unsystematicly. This is why I have not said anything more about the pen and paper yet. I will when we mass-claim.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: July 09, 2013, 01:28:42 pm »

Oh, you weren't talking about items, not flavor.

But, town probably almost certainly sent scum some items. Can't they just be truthful about what they've received, and not be implicated? The only thing that would implicate scum is tradition roles such as watcher/tracker, and I don't know how item claims would implicate scum.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: July 09, 2013, 01:29:28 pm »

Changed your tune a bit... didn't you just want a no lynch? And what do you mean by "lynch tonight", we lynch during the day, scum kills at night. Unless you're a vig, but ours died...
I meant today.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 09, 2013, 01:41:21 pm »

Say we massclaim. If we catch a liar (which I'm not convinced we would), great. If we don't, then it doesn't help us.

But say we do lynch scum today. We still need to survive two more nights. We've let scum know every item in the game, and every power in the game. That just can't be good. They'll probably be able to get really awesome items to destroy town in subsequent nights.

The only way this works is if a massclaim could catch out all 3 scum, and at this point, I'm doubtful that it would even catch one -- scum must have been provided fakeclaims, or just be people such as Edison who you can't identify as scum by their name. Or by their items.

Say Shraeye really is scum, and he's Edison. What about this claim implicates him as scum? I just don't think this really has any utility in catching scum.

I'm really interested to be proven wrong, and would love to hear your views on this, but I don't think the utility of a massclaim outweighs the possibility that it won't catch scum, and that revealing every item in the game to scum would be a complete disaster.

Mislynching would be a complete disaster.
Giving scum item knowledge does not make us loose automaticly.
I am trying my best to not tell scum how best fakeclaim, but i guess i could say that I excpect to find five townies, not three scum.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:04 pm »

Ahoppy is correct that this is a really interesting change from no-lynch to lynching by all means necessary.

How does your plan fit in the context of this massclaim?

I agree with Nkirbit, that if we're massclaiming, I 100% absolutely want Xeiron to claim and detail his plan first. I will never claim anything this game until Xeiron's plan has been unveiled, as I am starting to think there's just nothing there.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 09, 2013, 01:46:27 pm »

I am trying my best to not tell scum how best fakeclaim, but i guess i could say that I excpect to find five townies, not three scum.

And why would we take your word for it?

You have yet to provide us reads, or your plans, and you're asking us to basically put the game into your hands. Yet you have done nothing to provide a town read, and I'm absolutely not trusting the game with someone who I don't even have a townread on (and the fact that I think your are going to come up with a scumread on me after claiming because that's what you already think, regardless of the massclaim, because thats your set-in-stone view, doesn't help matters).

If you want us to trust you, you need to actually put your reads and reasons out there, and make us believe you're town. It reads like you're wanting to get all this information out there, and then you are aiming to conform your "plan" around the claims, to implicate townies as scum.

I think there's less downside to claiming your plan than to claiming the sucm. At worst, you're scum, who doesn't have a plan. At best, I think you're confused townie, who strongly overestimated what he would be able to do (and you saying that your plan was sidetracked, or whatever you said), just confirms that this is the worst possible outcome to me, which isn't really that bad. If you're advocating item claiming, anyway, and you have already claimed your role, there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be okay claiming your plan.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 09, 2013, 01:48:01 pm »

claiming the sucm = claiming items (I guess, not really sure what I was going for honestly, but yea let's go with items)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 09, 2013, 01:51:54 pm »

And why would we take your word for it?

You have yet to provide us reads, or your plans, and you're asking us to basically put the game into your hands. Yet you have done nothing to provide a town read, and I'm absolutely not trusting the game with someone who I don't even have a townread on (and the fact that I think your are going to come up with a scumread on me after claiming because that's what you already think, regardless of the massclaim, because thats your set-in-stone view, doesn't help matters).

If you want us to trust you, you need to actually put your reads and reasons out there, and make us believe you're town. It reads like you're wanting to get all this information out there, and then you are aiming to conform your "plan" around the claims, to implicate townies as scum.

I think there's less downside to claiming your plan than to claiming the sucm. At worst, you're scum, who doesn't have a plan. At best, I think you're confused townie, who strongly overestimated what he would be able to do (and you saying that your plan was sidetracked, or whatever you said), just confirms that this is the worst possible outcome to me, which isn't really that bad. If you're advocating item claiming, anyway, and you have already claimed your role, there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be okay claiming your plan.
I second this. I'm not sure anyone trusts you right now xerion, so we aren't going to follow any plans until you can prove they will be useful...

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 09, 2013, 06:06:16 pm »

Agree that this is a crazy ploy. But I think that's pretty consistent with Xeiron's play in recent games.

They're probably linked together, but not definitely. I think it's a mistake to say that one's flip will all but reveal the alignment of the other -- I could see Xeiron as scum claiming that he copped Eevee. You're right about it being very risky with tracker/watcher, though.
I mean, it's super clear that Eevee flipping scum --> xeiron is scum.  Xeiron town -->Eevee town.  If xeiron is scum, then there is room for discussion about if he would save a towny or a scummate.  I suspect that Eevee is scum, if xeiron is.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 09, 2013, 06:19:11 pm »

No, it will help town solve the game.
I don't think claiming items is the key to winning here.  Do you expect to catch somebody lying?  I've been scum in plenty of RMM games before.  I was scum in RMM3, which Archetype  quotes in the Setup-post
This is also one of those games where claiming, if not done smartly, can easily be abused by scum (*cough* me in RMM3 *cough*).
I was also scum in Mafia Noir.  In those, my scumteam was 100% ready for claims at any point in the game (in RMM3, we even had fake-claims typed up and pre-made night 0 or possibly it was night 1); we won both of them.  In RMM3, it was despite a massclaim, where I claimed my actual role with only slight edits.  In Mafia Noir, claiming made the game really easy for scumteam.  Me and my partner Insom even claimed first, and they still couldn't read through our fakeclaims.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 09, 2013, 07:28:37 pm »

I don't think claiming items is the key to winning here.  Do you expect to catch somebody lying?  I've been scum in plenty of RMM games before.  I was scum in RMM3, which Archetype  quotes in the Setup-post
This is also one of those games where claiming, if not done smartly, can easily be abused by scum (*cough* me in RMM3 *cough*).
I was also scum in Mafia Noir.  In those, my scumteam was 100% ready for claims at any point in the game (in RMM3, we even had fake-claims typed up and pre-made night 0 or possibly it was night 1); we won both of them.  In RMM3, it was despite a massclaim, where I claimed my actual role with only slight edits.  In Mafia Noir, claiming made the game really easy for scumteam.  Me and my partner Insom even claimed first, and they still couldn't read through our fakeclaims.
Besides, I think flavor cop would be a good role for scum to have.  It doesn't seem like a very powerful role, so even if chairs claim is true, I still think he could be scum

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Re: RMM8 Innovation Inc. (Night 1!)
« Reply #1642 on: July 09, 2013, 07:48:23 pm »

Vote Count 2.0

xeiron (1) nkirbit
shraeye (1) chairs
chairs (1) AHoppy
Not Voting (5) Eevee, xeiron, Twistedarcher, shraeye, theorel,

With 8 alive you need 5 to lynch. You have 3 days before you start digging into your banked time.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »

Besides, I think flavor cop would be a good role for scum to have.  It doesn't seem like a very powerful role, so even if chairs claim is true, I still think he could be scum

I suppose at this point all I can do is profess my towniness.  I'm a chum, let's lynch scum.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:02 pm »

I mean, it's super clear that Eevee flipping scum --> xeiron is scum.  Xeiron town -->Eevee town.  If xeiron is scum, then there is room for discussion about if he would save a towny or a scummate.  I suspect that Eevee is scum, if xeiron is.

Agree on the first two, that's 100%. Not sure if Eevee would be scum if Xeiron is, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it -- there's absolutely positively no way that Eevee should be lynched today, or any day that Xeiron is alive.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 09, 2013, 10:49:05 pm »

I agree that it's a great role for scum, given that flavor -> items from everything we've seen. Seems to have more utility for scum than for town, actually.

I'm a little confused by the claim on Shraeye, honestly. It doesn't implicate him in anyway, just because Edison and Tesla were rivals.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:39 pm »

I'm a little confused by the claim on Shraeye, honestly. It doesn't implicate him in anyway, just because Edison and Tesla were rivals.
Are you saying that you think chairs just tried to use the claim to push a quick mislynch at MYLO?  I really don't buy that.  Chairs didn't push me super-hard, and he didn't claim it was slam-dunk evidence.  I think he's just working hard with the information he has, and that feels very towny to me.

What I don't like is that chairs-case is being pushed by AHoppy, who was the other viable wagon yesterday, when mail-mi lynch seemed like it popped up out of nowhere.

I remember people poo-pooing the AHoppy case, because they thought they could do much better than lynching a lurker.  And then out of nowhere everybody seemed to be ok with lynching mail-mi.  What was the case on him other than lurking and just being mail-mi?  That xeiron was pushing him?

Anyway, all that is to say that my day1 suspicions of AHoppy still persist.  I need to work on a serious reread taking into account the flips before I can really roll up my sleeves.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 09, 2013, 11:33:53 pm »

Oh, I agree, the case on mail-mi was terrible, and taking things mail-mi always does and painting them scummy. And I maintain that there's scum misdirection, and Ahoppy is very possibly suspicious of that. In that case, Nkirbit, theorel, or chairs would be his partner, who moved the lynch away from Ahoppy. If Ahoppy's innocent, then the Xeiron-Eevee pair becomes much more suspicious for moving that lynch.

As to chairs, like I said before, if I were chairs' partner (if he's scum), I'd tell him to keep pushing the newbie-vibe, and this fits right along with that. It's very possible that this claim was planned as a way to get chairs more town credit, since people would have the exact reaction you just posted.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 09, 2013, 11:35:55 pm »

Chairs and nkirbit were both on the Ahoppy wagon at certain points, while Theorel never once was. So given what I just talked about, Theorel would be the most likely scum partner for Ahoppy, his vote on mail-mi came at a key, key, point where a vote on Ahoppy could have easily pushed us in that direction.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 09, 2013, 11:45:45 pm »

I'm going to outline exactly why I think Xeiron is scum.  I'm going to start with a bit of background, since not everyone here played or followed Shakespeare, I assume:

In Shakespeare, Xeiron was town, and during day 1, claimed to know that one of three players was scum.  He was pushed on how he knew this, and ultimately it was revealed he got the information entirely from knowing that in the game, there was a lover-cop.  His jumps in logic were bad, he came to a bad conclusion, but ultimately, he was town.

I think that coming into this game, Xeiron had to look at how he played Shakespeare, and if he wanted to play Shakespeare.  There, he got himself and his lover lynched, and town very easily could have lost.  If he's town, I think he is going to change how he plays, because how he played in Shakespeare ended up in disaster.  I've seen a lot of people defending Xeiron because "He's playing similarly to how he played in Shakespeare", but I think scum!Xeiron is the one with the incentive to play similarly to how he played in Shakespeare.  If he's scum, he knows that in Shakespeare he was mislynched for making ridiculous claims, so in a sense he's more free to make ridiculous claims, because he knows that people associate such claims with town!Xeiron.  I think scum!Xeiron has more incentive to act like Xeiron from Shakespeare than does town!Xeiron.  And I don't think acting like how Xeiron is acting here is an accident... he's being deliberately shady.

Furthermore, there are two key differences between Xeiron here and Xeiron in Shakespeare.  In Shakespeare, Xeiron was not under pressure when he claimed, but he was here.  Also, in Shakespeare, Xeiron's claims all dealt with information, while Xeiron's claims here are absurd.  In addition to his claimed 1-shot cop power, he has claimed to be able to protect himself at night, and has reason to believe that there is a pen in the game.

A quick note on the pen thing:  I don't think there is a pen in the game.  All of the items we've seen so far are either somewhat completed machines (Phonograph, Telephone), or versatile items that could have many uses (electricity, paper).  Pen doesn't fit here.  It's only possible use (that I can think of) would be with paper, and we already have a Telephone that fulfills that role.  Xeiron never explicity said why he thinks it exists... In #1042, all we get is, "I might or might not have more reason than the rest of you to think it exists."  If he doesn't have more reason, I don't see what town!Xeiron benefits from saying that.. he's being deliberately cryptic, in an over-the-top way.  I get the sense that he's not being cryptic to protect information... but he's being that way just to be that way.

Then we get to his "reads".  He says that he has it narrowed down to four scum:  TA, EFHW, Shraeye, Mail-Mi.  When asked to explain his reads, he replied with "no".  What????  You know who has an incentive to explain their reads?  Town!  So we don't mislynch!  You know who has an incentive to not explain their reads?  Someone who doesn't actually have them!

I really feel that Xeiron tried to get out of initial pressure by mimicking his play in Shakespeare, and once he realized that no one (other than me) found him that scummy for it, continued to turn up the ridiculousness.  His play got more and more anti-town as the day went on.  Without explanation, he said that there he had narrowed the scum team down to four possible players (two of whom have flipped town, btw!).  He made ZERO attempts to working towards a correct lynch.  His only contribution in terms of scumhunting was directing us towards mail-mi, who we now know is town.

I think it's suspicious that the items he claimed he needed were paper, which had already been revealed, and pen, which is the item most associated with paper.  Isn't that awfully convenient?

Furthermore, the timeframe of Xeiron's plan doesn't make any sense!  He's asking for pen and paper night one.  Okay, so suppose he gets them N1.  He immediately constructs the items, cool.  So he now has a communication device.  He may or may not have his investigative roles N1.  Either:

1.  He has his "investigative roles" N1:  He uses them, and gets his results.  He either lives to Day2, at which point he shares his results publicly with the thread, or dies N1, at which point he's dead.  He doesn't get a chance to share his results with his communication device.
2.  He doesn't have his "investigative roles" N1:  Okay, so he's presumably going to have them during Night2.  But, he won't have his results until the end of N2!  He can write during N2, but he doesn't have his results yet, so what good can it do him?  He's already missed his chance to write another player!

If Xeiron's communication device is to be used to pass on his results, it can still be used for something else, right?  In fact, Xeiron states as a possibility: "I am trying to make a communication device so that someone else will get my information and be able to carry out my plan in case I should die."  We know the information part doesn't make any sense, so does the instruction part?  No!  You're a 1-shot cop, as you've claimed, so any utility you provide will ultimately come from your items!  How are you going to give your items to someone else?  And even if you have some on-death role which allows you to give your items to a player of your choice when you die, they're not going to be able to use them until N3.  So it's going to be a long time before they're able to get any results.

Xeiron's plan just doesn't make any sense.  He's going out of his way to be shady and cryptic, he's been extremely unhelpful, has explicitly refused to explain his (incorrect) reads.  Every single action he has taken in this game has been anti-town.  Every single one!  What makes more sense in this case?  An extremely mistaken town member, or a scum member who knows he has a meta of acting similarly to this and is taking it to the next level because he is confident he won't be found scummy for it?  I certainly know which one I think it is.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 83  All

Page created in 1.917 seconds with 20 queries.