Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Let's try to make a Goko campaign!  (Read 23842 times)

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try to make a Goko campaign!
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2013, 03:43:18 am »

I got distracted because my brother gave me 13 wheel of time e-books. I'll get back to this soon, I'm on the second-to-last one...
Wow. Sounds like you have way more patience than me. From memory I threw the first book of wheel of time across the room when I was about halfway through it....

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2013, 07:27:48 am »

I got distracted because my brother gave me 13 wheel of time e-books. I'll get back to this soon, I'm on the second-to-last one...
Wow. Sounds like you have way more patience than me. From memory I threw the first book of wheel of time across the room when I was about halfway through it....

You're better than I am.  I got like three pages into it before deciding it was boring and derivative.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2013, 07:49:49 am »
+3

You're better than I am.  I got like three pages into it before deciding it was boring and derivative.
I'm bored just hearing you guys talk about reading it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2013, 11:25:43 am »

Hey, I know the discussion has moved past this, but as a relatively new player to Dominion I think that some sort of teaching campaigns would be really interesting and helpful to new players.

I got introduced to Dominion maybe 4-5 months ago and have mainly played with the Base-set in real life, though I have since bought Intrigue. I am starting to get familiar with Intrigue and Seaside playing on isotropic and have been trying to get a feel of all the cards, but particularly the ones from those sets. Still it is really overwhelming. Often I am in games with cards I haven't played with much, if at all and I am unsure of really the best usages of these cards. I have spent a good amount of time looking through strategy articles on the site and f.ds, but really playing with the cards is the best way to really learn how to use them. I feel like I am not alone as a new player in maybe feeling overwhelmed at points in games with a lot of novel cards and I think campaigns that don't just use the cards but help build solid strategy would be really helpful to newer players. I don't know to what extent this is done already in the campaigns as I haven't bought any of the additional sets yet and have only played some of a base-set campaign, but I do think it would be helpful and is something I know that I would be interested in.

I know that for now you all are working on regular "fun" campaigns, but if it works I would really suggest some teaching campaigns as I think they would be really helpful for newer players and in increasing some of the overall skill pool on Goko and otherwise.

Actually we were working on exactly this. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6562.0

I've been very busy lately and it sort of fell by the wayside, but I do mean to get the ball rolling again once things slow down.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2013, 01:18:41 am »

OK, so what do we already have. This is a summary of all the sets that have been posted here, as far as I know. If I missed any, plz correct. If some of these have been updated and I missed the update, plz let me know. They are not yet in any particular order.

Ones I came up with earlier:

1. Native Village, Masquerade, Wishing Well, Worker's Village, Cutpurse, Baron, Council Room, Rabble, Treasury, Royal Seal

(Masq/BM or rabble engine or quirky pin.)

2. Village, Warehouse, Salvager, Coppersmith, Quarry, Wharf, Outpost, King's Court, Forge, Peddler
Use Plat/Col

(Super-powered kc/seaside stuff. )

3. Loan, Watchtower, Hoard, Expand, Fishing Village, Island, Ghost Ship, Ironworks, Pawn, Bridge, Colony/Platinum

(Colony engine with only sub-$2 components!)

4. Secret Chamber, Swindler, Lookout, Mining Village, Baron, Tactician, Bazaar, Harem, Hoard, Peddler. 4-player.

(Swindler-focused set, everything is swindlable!)

5. Shanty Town, Bridge, Conspirator, Scout, Minion, Fishing Village, Cutpurse, Outpost, Royal Seal, Expand. Use plat/col.

(Minion as card draw)

6. Sea Hag, Duke, Talisman, Wishing Well, Courtyard, Cutpurse, Embargo, City, Grand Market, Tribute

(Slog.)

Based on ozle's sets with a few mods:

7. Gardens, Contraband, Talisman, Workers village, Warehouse, Adventurer, Cellar, Smugglers, Hoard, City

(Some Gardens enablers, but I've taken out the ones from base set that show up a lot already?)

8. Pearl Diver, Merchant Ship, Pirate Ship, Lookout, Bazaar, Rabble, Treasure Map, Workshop, Remodel, Salvager

(Ships. Perhaps needs some Prosperity?)

9. Islands, Gardens, Trade Route, Hoard, Village, Lookout, Sea Hag, Ambassador, Throne Room, Bureaucrat, Colony & Platinum

(Trade route/Hoard/Island/Amb!)

10. Tactician, Bank, Warehouse, Treasure Map, Adventurer, Steward, Venture, Nobles, Coppersmith, Haven, Colony/Platinum

(Based on Ozle's but with significant changes - coppersmith, steward, nobles. It's still a tactician-focused set.)

11. Peddler, Workers Village, Salvager, Smugglers, Swindler, Feast, City, Mint, Workshop, Bishop

(Peddler madness!)

12. Native Village, Haven, Cellar, Shanty Town, Forge, Rabble, Watchtower, Monument, Fishing Village, Secret Chamber

(Cross-set interactions: SC/Rabble, SC/Watchtower, FV/Watchtower)

13. Bridge, Native Village, Ironworks, Navigator, Ghost Ship, Scout, Vault, Contraband, Royal Seal, Mining Village

(NV/Bridge)

14. Quarry, Grand Market, Talisman, Moat, Militia, Mine, Pearl Diver, Witch, Caravan, Sea Hag, Platinum/Colony. 4-player.

(4-player, this is brutal and will pile out on cheap things. 2-player, it's a long colony game. I say make it 4-player)

15. King's Court, Chapel, Mountebank, Village, Haven, Caravan, Lighthouse, Torturer, City, Harem

(KC/Mountebank/Torturer/Chapel/City. The chapel makes the game not horrible, no +Buy, defense by lighthouse.)

16. Goons, Monument, Fishing Village, Vault, Bazaar, Embargo, Steward, Remodel, Contraband, Duke

(Alt-VP fun, with VP chips or duke)

17. Outpost, Witch, Lookout, Laboratory, Treasury, Island, Cellar, Trade Route, Counting House, Remodel, Use Platinum/Colony

(Adding in plat/col makes this have options - the AI will try to province rush probably, but with lab, treasury, outpost, it may be possible to do better.)

A few more which I'm just making right now.

18. Saboteur, King's Court, Duke, Ironworks, Conspirator, Nobles, Watchtower, Shanty Town, Warehouse, Loan

(OK, so in a campaign with Prosperity and Intrigue, I HAD to give the player a chance to destroy the opponent utterly with KC/Sab.)

19. Counting House, Pawn, Haven, Cutpurse, Warehouse, Workers Village, Hoard, Bridge, Treasury, Forge. Use Colony/Platinum.

(Give the option of using Counting House for something other than a Mountebank counter! That really does take cross-set interactions. OK, maybe I just have a soft spot for making counting house work. There's more standard forging to be done if that's what people want. It might even be better. Maybe this set sucks :( dunno. )

20. Throne Room, Bureaucrat, Ironworks, Steward, Great Hall, Island, Embargo, Smugglers, Venture, Goons

(I don't think the campaigns that are out right now have a set with a viable ironworks rush on anything except Gardens. Here, Island/Great Hall makes it work.)

that's a recap of what we've had before and a few new ones I came up with just now. They're not in any order yet. They're not finalized in any way, so comments welcome to make any of these sets better, or suggestions for more sets to replace out some of these if any look like they're lame or repetitive. Or suggestions for particular cross-set interactions that are cool and need to be included but which aren't represented anywhere. I don't mind if some cards aren't well-represented, they've all been used to death in their respective single-set campaigns. But interactions of note, this is the place for them.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2013, 04:09:01 pm »

Hehe I gotta finish this up sometime. Bumping it a a self-reminder, I'll have some free time next week I think.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2013, 08:45:49 pm »

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to finish this. Sorry. I've moved on to other things in my free time and just haven't had any enthusiasm for getting back to this project when I do have time I've technically set aside for it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 1.663 seconds with 21 queries.