Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A beginner's game where i played the best strategy without knowing :-D  (Read 2319 times)

Pikanto

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile

Hello everyone,

yesterday we had a parlour game evening with some friends like almost every saturday and a friend bought me Dark Ages as a gift ! I was so exited, since i didn't plan to get that expansion in the near future.

So, without knowing much about the cards, or how they interact best with each other, we started playing :)

As usual we randomly picked the kingdom cards and they were: Altar, Mystic, Sage, Armory, Fortress, Cultist, Procession, Market square, Forager and Hunting grounds.

I do not remember what my friend was planning (*g*), but the first thing that came into my mind was: "hey, i can procession my fortresses and get cultists !"

I opened Sage / Armory and the game didn't last long after that engine began to pay off :) I picked up a couple of hunting grounds, a market square and i think a Forager too. After buying the first 2 provinces my friend resigned that game.

I was quite pleased to read about this particular strong combination (Procession / Fortress) in Qvists' Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition ( http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6626.0 ) :D

So this was my first Dark Ages game :)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile

The "best strategy" is complex because there are so many powerful cards and interactions with Procession, but the combination that you used is certainly the (or rather, one of) backbone.

1. Forager can trim the deck early on.
2. Armory gains a lot of useful cards (Procession, Fortress, Sage, Market Square)
3. Procession benefits from Fortress's and Cultist's on-trash benefits and the sequence of Action cards at $3, $4, $5, and $6
4. Market Square can gain Golds for free to provide economy in combination with the deck-drawing ability of Procession

Pikanto

• Ambassador
    • View Profile

Thanks for your response dondon :) - yeah i should be careful when i use the words "best strategy" - like in chess, it all depends on the board you're playing ;)

But i'm flattered that you agree with me on this one :)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile

Yeah, having good actions, all with benefit-on-trash on 4, 5 AND 6 makes it Proc very good.

Pikanto

• Ambassador
    • View Profile

by the way.. if i had processionned a cultist, would i have been allowed to play another cultist from my hand after ? (without taking an additional action i mean)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile

Yes.

If you procession a cultist, the following things happen, in order.
1) You play the cultist the first time; you draw 2 cards, and can immediately play another cultist (which would let you play another, and so on).
2) You play the cultist the second time; you draw 2 cards, and can immediately play another cultist (which would let you play another, and so on).
3) You trash the cultist, drawing 3 cards.
4) You gain an action card costing $6.

Pikanto

• Ambassador
    • View Profile

thanks, so far so good, but i'm not allowed:

5) play a cultist

right ?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile

Unless you have a spare action, no.

Pikanto

• Ambassador
    • View Profile

Unless you have a spare action, no.

that's what i wanted to know :) thanks !
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.