Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Count: Trashing your hand & Knights/Fairgrounds  (Read 5045 times)

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Count: Trashing your hand & Knights/Fairgrounds
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:30:43 pm »

Pop Quiz everyone! (Really... I just have 2 rules questions)

Question 1: What does "trash your hand" imply? Say I play Count and decide to trash my hand which includes a Rats card, so...

A) I trash my hand all at once, then draw from my trashed Rats afterward.

B) I trash my hand card by card, trashing my Rats first, draw a card and continue to trash the rest of my hand.

Question 2: True or False? In a Fairgrounds game with Knights, does each Knight (Sir Bailey, Dame Anna, etc.) count as a unique card?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Count: Trashing your hand & Knights/Fairgrounds
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:31:54 pm »
+8

1. A.

2. Yes.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:39:40 pm »
+2

Pretty much all multiple-card trashers do it atomically (all at once).  The only exception I can think of is Remake, which says to "do this twice".

Fairgrounds (and the other variety cards) talk about card names.  Sir Bailey has a different name than Dame Anna, so they all count as unique.

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:57:10 pm »

Glad I passed my own pop quiz...

Thanks for the clarification

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »

Also: The various types of ruins all count toward variety too. And anything that counts toward variety for Fairgrounds also applies to Menagerie, Horn of Plenty, Harvest, and Hunting Party.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:14:20 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:26 pm »
+1

Also: The various types of ruins all count toward variety too. And anything that counts toward variety for Fairgrounds also applies to Menagerie, Horn of Plenty, Harvest, and Hunting Party.

Ruins - keeping Hunting Party from being strictly better than Lab since 2012.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:29:52 pm by Asper »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:37:44 pm »
+5

HP wasn't strictly better than Lab even before Ruins.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39:07 am »

I know it's not strictly strictly better. But it's the closest any card comes to being strictly better than another one of the same cost. At least the Wiki sides with me. Only other would be Noble Brigand, but special Treasures are there what Ruins are for Hunting Party.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:29:18 pm by Asper »

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:45:37 am »

I know it's not strictly strictly better. But it's the closest any card comes to being strictly better than another one of the same cost. At least the Wiki sides with me. Only other would be Noble Brigand, but special Treasures are there what Ruins are for Hunting Party.

No, the wiki doesn't side with you. WW's opinion in the strategy article which is on the wiki sides with you.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 12:48:20 pm »

I'd take Noble Brigand vs Thief over Hinting Party vs Laboratory in a contest for "closest to strictly better" any day. Lab can draw your whole deck, HP can't. HP requires a specific type of deck, one which is admittedly usually a powerful deck deck. But Lab works in essentially any deck (edge case: Philosopher's Stone). They each have their own situations where they're useful.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 12:48:50 pm »

I think the statement in the article is meant to emphasize that HP is often better than Lab.  However, it still isn't strictly superior, and not just because of Ruins.  Read further into that article -- WW writes an entire section about when Lab is better.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 03:30:17 pm »

I know when to give up.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:31:22 pm by Asper »

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 07:18:57 am »

I'd take Noble Brigand vs Thief over Hinting Party vs Laboratory in a contest for "closest to strictly better" any day. Lab can draw your whole deck, HP can't. HP requires a specific type of deck, one which is admittedly usually a powerful deck deck. But Lab works in essentially any deck (edge case: Philosopher's Stone). They each have their own situations where they're useful.
I disagree, I have seen more games where Thief, in a special purpose, would have been better than NB.
One of the best uses for thief is with kingdom treasure cards, especially Fool's gold and IGG, so...
But anyway, I would say the closest to strictly better comparison is Wharf vs. Council room.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 08:15:51 am »
+1

I disagree, I have seen more games where Thief, in a special purpose, would have been better than NB.
One of the best uses for thief is with kingdom treasure cards, especially Fool's gold and IGG, so...
But anyway, I would say the closest to strictly better comparison is Wharf vs. Council room.
Mh warf is a lot worse if its your final turn

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 09:15:13 am »

I didn't say that NB was strictly better... of course there have been games where Thief is better, just like there have been games where Lab is better than HP. I just said that I see it as closer to strictly better than HP is to Lab.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 03:02:49 pm »

Four cards is a lot to draw at once, and if you are drawing your deck anyway, Council Room is more like "now and on your next turn when you play this again, +4 Cards, +1 Buy". Council Room and Wharf also both let your opponent start their turn with a bigger hand!

I had a game with both Thief and Noble Brigand though, with no alt Treasure, and was delighted to see my opponent choose Thief.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 03:11:38 pm »

Four cards is a lot to draw at once, and if you are drawing your deck anyway, Council Room is more like "now and on your next turn when you play this again, +4 Cards, +1 Buy". Council Room and Wharf also both let your opponent start their turn with a bigger hand!

I had a game with both Thief and Noble Brigand though, with no alt Treasure, and was delighted to see my opponent choose Thief.

Wharf doesn't help your opponent...

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 04:09:00 pm »

Maybe Warfreak was subconsciously comparing both to Margrave.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 07:45:03 pm »

I was being whimsical; Wharf allows your opponent to start with an increased handsize, if they play it on their previous turn...
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.902 seconds with 21 queries.