Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75  All

Author Topic: RMM6 Redux - Shakespeare Mafia (Town wins!)  (Read 165923 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Re: RMM6 Redux - Shakespeare Mafia (Town wins!)
« Reply #1825 on: June 22, 2013, 08:31:04 pm »

Wow, awesome game ashersky. I'm sad that I didn't get to play it and that it didn't get ran in full. We should run more 9 player RMM games.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:39 pm »

Also, Eevee's reply COMPLETELY threw me off.  So much so, that I thought he was saying he was a survivor.  That's why I was saying weird things...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 22, 2013, 08:55:28 pm »

Also, Eevee's reply COMPLETELY threw me off.  So much so, that I thought he was saying he was a survivor.  That's why I was saying weird things...
What you could've said was "mail-mi and I..." And say "Don't post this in thread". That would sort of connect you too, but it could've 'oh, that's staged too much' and auto Town mail-mi, which is what you didn't want.

But I like Mailman. It's one of the coolest roles IMO. But good job to both sides, it could've gone either way which shows how well this was designed.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: June 22, 2013, 09:04:02 pm »

Secret History of RMM6 Roles:

Town Ghost:  This was 100% yuma.  Broken down to its essence, it's just a 1-shot cop.  But man, it is much harder to pull off, as you need to pull the NK once, but not get lynched or NKed again.  Raerae did a great job with it, and was the best town performance of the game.  The death flip coming shortly after the final post really strengthens the role, since you get mod-confirmed as town right away.

1-Shot Deathproof Lover Watcher:  This odd role was me.  I wanted to use lovers in an interesting way in the game, but thought too many same-faction pairs would artificially speed the game up too much.  (This is partly why we ended up with Pen Pal Lovers, too.)  I gave the Town-half 1-shot Deathproof and the Scum-half some conditionals for how he would die.  In the end, I think the lovers portion was balanced.  The Watcher bit of this role would have been more helpful in the bigger version, as generally in this game no one was targeting scum.

Friar Laurence:  I wanted to use potions at some point in a game, but hadn't found a way to do it.  I generally don't like the delayed kill of the scum poisoner, though.  I originally started out with the Apothecary in mind, but needed another town role, so here we go.  I am really happy the sleeping potion got used!

Self-Satisfied Night Constable:  This is mostly yuma.  One theme we had built into the big game was a reliance on others, mostly through voting patterns.  A JK is strong, but he could only jail the people who are voting him at the end of the day.  Nkirbit got very unlucky that the only people voting him EVER were the D1 deaths.  So he never jailed anyone.

2-Shot Commuting Bomb:  I wanted a decision role, and this is what I came up with.  This was the last role I made, and it was basically a throw-in to get to 13.  I like that you have two completely opposite roles and you have to choose each night.  In this game, TA commuted when he would have been the N1 kill.  Was that the right call?  It changed the way the game went, for sure.

Matchmaker/Pen-Pal Lover:  So, in the bigger game, this made more sense.  I saw it as a weak cop that could confirm or refute lover claims.  This was originally paired with a different role that got cut.

Poison Doc/Pen-Pal Lover: A doc, but for one specific kill.  This worked better in the big game, too.  This was also paired up with a different role in the big game that got cut.  Yuma created the Pen Pal idea.

Scum: the team was originally three, for all three witches.  When I had to cut roles, I needed to get scum down to 2 total, so I cut a scum role that had a matching town role, to get rid of two quickly.  I think the team ended up a bit weak, but EHFW especially played well.

Whispering Lover Witch: I based this one off a role I had in RMM3.  Shraeye continues to believe scum whisperer is lame, but I think it created all the havoc I wanted.  It was more flavorful than useful, maybe, but it was fun to watch.

Chauffeur Strongman Witch:  Chauffeur is another yuma invention, and it's awesome.  It's risky, but with a big payoff.  In the bigger game, this would work better, since it would have been easier to plant your vote on a partner.  I added the Strongman modifier to give extra incentive to bus.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: June 22, 2013, 09:16:05 pm »

I really like those roles. Just one thing: why should the commuter-bomb ever commute? It seems bomb will always be better.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: June 22, 2013, 09:17:38 pm »

I really like those roles. Just one thing: why should the commuter-bomb ever commute? It seems bomb will always be better.

Made more sense in a bigger/longer game.  Plus, being the NK later in the game could be more helpful than early.  I'm sure there are edge cases.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: June 22, 2013, 09:21:59 pm »

I really enjoyed all the Shakespeare quotations.  It's amazing how many apply so well to mafia.  I found this one in Two Gentlemen of Verona (while researching):

PROTEUS: The sheep for fodder follow the shepherd; the
   shepherd for food follows not the sheep: thou for
   wages followest thy master; thy master for wages
   follows not thee: therefore thou art a sheep.

SPEED: Such another proof will make me cry 'baa.'

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: June 22, 2013, 09:33:20 pm »

It's more fun to play mafia than to not play mafia, as well.  I think it's reasonable to expect players to make decisions that are fun rather than ones that are perfectly suited towards a win.. part of the reason why I chose to drink the potion, too.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: June 22, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »

I kept trying to glean clues from the quotations, but gave up after awhile.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: June 22, 2013, 09:42:37 pm »

Oh, a win! Doesnt feel particularly deserved, but I'll take it. :) Thanks mods for a close game!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: June 22, 2013, 09:43:02 pm »

I'm not sure there was anything other than the post announcing I was "seemingly dead"

Did you know I was going to be alive for D3, EFHW, or were you surprised when I woke up?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: June 22, 2013, 10:07:22 pm »

Oooooo I was so sure sudgy was town because I was made his watcher. Whats the point of that if he is scum? I guess to weaken my role (i could have seen mail-mi target him and bad things would have happened).

I was absolutely positive it was a clever way for me to look out for my lover and it makes all the sense in the world with my deathproof. I consider myself mislead by the mods!

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: June 22, 2013, 10:08:55 pm »

Oooooo I was so sure sudgy was town because I was made his watcher. Whats the point of that if he is scum? I guess to weaken my role (i could have seen mail-mi target him and bad things would have happened).

I was absolutely positive it was a clever way for me to look out for my lover and it makes all the sense in the world with my deathproof. I consider myself mislead by the mods!

Hehe. You owe me an apology! ;)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: June 22, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »

We never said he was town, nor gave you reason to believe that.  The Deathproof was a big hint that he was scum, I thought.

There were plenty of roles in the game that could have targeted sudgy, too.  Tracker was strictly better and too strong, anyway.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: June 22, 2013, 10:11:01 pm »

I'm not sure there was anything other than the post announcing I was "seemingly dead"

Did you know I was going to be alive for D3, EFHW, or were you surprised when I woke up?

None of the direct quotes was meaningful to the game.

Stuff I wrote was important.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: June 22, 2013, 10:18:26 pm »

Hehe. You owe me an apology! ;)
I do I do I do!

So sorry man, so sorry. I was wrong. Glad we prevailed in the end, although the credit doesnt go to me. In fact, considering i won the game for town in lylo, my overall performance was laughably terrible, all because of one stubborn setup-read that was just completely wrong.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: June 22, 2013, 10:20:56 pm »

We never said he was town, nor gave you reason to believe that.  The Deathproof was a big hint that he was scum, I thought.

There were plenty of roles in the game that could have targeted sudgy, too.  Tracker was strictly better and too strong, anyway.
I thought being his watcher meant for sure that he was supposed to draw in the nk so i could catch his killer. I think it would have been an awesome set of roles that could play in numerous interesting ways. I was sooo convinced that must be the case too..

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: June 22, 2013, 10:24:45 pm »

I was pretty sure you would be back.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: June 22, 2013, 10:33:05 pm »

I thought being his watcher meant for sure that he was supposed to draw in the nk so i could catch his killer. I think it would have been an awesome set of roles that could play in numerous interesting ways. I was sooo convinced that must be the case too..

Yeah Eevee's interpretation makes a lot of sense, actually. And Raerae's point about the game being too quick if there's 2 set of lovers would be moot to Eevee, as he knows he has deathproof. Funny how an Eevee lynch would lead to Eevee dying twice if Sudgy hammered, though!

And Eevee, don't worry about it! I think I would have done the completely same thing in your shoes.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: June 23, 2013, 01:56:48 am »

All ya'll: Listen. To. Me.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: June 23, 2013, 03:41:13 am »

All in all, great game to watch and mod.  You all had varying levels of awesomeness.  :)

I hope I can count you all in for future games.

LotR2 is going to be epic, I hope.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 23, 2013, 09:38:49 am »

All ya'll: Listen. To. Me.

Have we ever read the other one wrong as town?  I've always had a townread on you when you're town (except RMM7), and you're always attacking me when I'm scum...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: June 23, 2013, 09:44:45 am »

Ash, are you planning on using the full setup at some point? Any chance you could reveal which roles you took out of the game?

I don't know if it would work semi-open, which it would be since 9 roles are known.

Yuma and I are using at least one cut role in our Modern Community game... ;)

Modern Community game?

Big normal game, maybe seven down in the queue.

Combines the Modern Family and Community TV universes.

This game is going to be crazy amazing. When it opens, all of you should remember this game and sign up because it will be just as good! We are only starting on it, and it already looks super fun.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: June 23, 2013, 03:41:22 pm »

in!

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:15 pm »

So was Othello relevant in some mysterious way?
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75  All

Page created in 1.692 seconds with 19 queries.