Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: This is my favorite game I've ever played: Refrigeration is the key!  (Read 2445 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
+7

http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201304/12/game-20130412-150115-c95e8252.html

I start off slow.  He Metalworks into a very high score and claims some early achievements.  I try to tech up with him.  Gunpowder blows up his Metalworking and puts it in my score pile (very important!!).

Around turn 8-9 funny things start happening.  I share Metric System twice while behind on Crowns, because he has only one green card.  I keep drawing to keep up with his Math.  It's OK here because it helps me stay ahead of him, despite his share bonus.

Turn 12 he melds and executes Bicycle into a big score.  We both exchange hand and score piles.  I shared it so I can snipe the 3 achievement. 

Turn 13 an idea comes to me.  I Refrigerate his hand twice.  He returns his low cards -- his castle cards that he scored with Metalworking.  Then I meld his Metalworking, stolen from his board with Gunpowder, and returned to my hand via the shared bicycle.

See my Turn 15 for the glorious result.

Turn 16 he is sitting on 5 achievements.  With two unsplayed piles, one of which has only one card, I just barely manage to stop him from Wonder with Reformation (tuck, splay) -> Metric System (splay, achieve).

Turn 17 he Vaccinates me, only for Metalworking to suck it back up.  Around here I'm at 39 points, just one away from the 8 achievement which would win me the game.  Multiple times I was able to score or get an 8 on my board, but not both.

Then he wrecks my score, putting us both out of contention for the 8 achievement.  Then he finds Machine Tools.  Facing defeat, I could go either for the Mass Media stalemate or Genetics.  I worked out that melding anything except purple would win me the game with Genetics.  Plus Purple would have been The Internet (AI having earlier been returned), and there was a good chance I could use The Internet to claim Universe for the win.

But the real thing I am proud of here is the use of Refrigeration.  Next time you decry it as useless, just think: it's not that bad!  You just need:

1) Your opponent to Metalwork successfullly;
2) You to blow it up with Gunpowder;
3) Your opponent to share Bicycle with you
4) You to Refrigerate them with a leaf advantage
5) You to meld Metalworking with a Castle advantage and take back his whole score pile!

Not niche at all!

Alexmf

• Steward
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
Re: This is my favorite game I've ever played: Refrigeration is the key!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:22:13 am »

Just read the log, it really was a pretty awesome game. A lot of back and forth.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 20 queries.