Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tournament vs. cutpurse  (Read 1837 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Tournament vs. cutpurse
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:33:41 am »

In a tournament province game with no trashing, which opening is better :
- Tournament/Silver ?
or
- Cutpurse/Silver (taking a tourney afterwards) ?

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament vs. cutpurse
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:36:41 am »
+2

I would go for Cutpurse.
(Assuming board has no other terminals I want)
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:38:29 am »

Short term certainly CP/Silver.  Tournament is $1,82 on average in shuffle 2 (increasing until it get blocked with Provinces), Cutpurse is $2 with a -$1 attack (almost certainly). So Cutpurse will give you more money, and has an additional attack on your opponent, which will bring you to Gold and Provinces faster.

Things that may speak against CP other important terminals that would collide with CP, but I think in most cases CP/Silver is the better opening.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:58:01 am »
+1

According to rspeer's simulator 1 Cutpurse into Tournament wins other pure Tournaments 60-40

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:46:48 am »

How good/bad is Cutpurse/Silver vs. Silver/Silver on a board with either Witch, Mountebank or Cultist and no villages? Assume you want 2 Witches or Mountebanks and infinitely many Cultists.

How, if at all, does this change if there are villages present?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:56:23 am »
+1

How good/bad is Cutpurse/Silver vs. Silver/Silver on a board with either Witch, Mountebank or Cultist and no villages? Assume you want 2 Witches or Mountebanks and infinitely many Cultists.

I would probably open Cutpurse with Mountebank on the board and no Village. With Witch, I think I want Silver. With Cultist, no idea, I guess also Silver, to be able to use the +$1 or +1 Card for the ruins besides avoiding collisions with my own Cultists. Witch is the only one I don't clearly see (although, I can be mistaken on all of them, of course). With Villages, I guess which Village is incredibly important. If its Fishing Village, opening Cutpurse/FV seems like a good move (although how to use Villages depends much more heavily than BM strategies on what else is there).

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:21 am »
+1

Well, I'm least likely to get the Cutpurse on a Cultist no Village board, since Cultist can actually draw more cards that I can play, but not Cutpurse.

Since Mountebank doesn't draw cards, and is giving out Coppers, I think I would get the Cutpurse.

With which... meh. Probably stick with Silver/Silver on a no Village board.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:01:16 pm »
+1

Depends a bit on the draws and on the curser I guess.  You have a good chance of holding your opponent back from $5 in the second shuffle. That doesn't help much if they started 5/2.  And the chance is higher if you are P1.
I think for Mountebank I would take a Cutpurse without much thinking, because they are the unlikeliest of the 3 to collide, also there is more Copper floating around, so it is probably a hit every time throughout the game.
Witches is a bit more difficult because you have more chances to collide, and less chances to hit Copper later with all the Curses flying around.  I think I will take Cutpurse over Silver, but would not be very happy with it.  Villages might push this more to CP, as there might be an engine (is there trashing around?) on the board. In that case, maybe trashing/engine building before Witch might be possible, esp. if you can delay the opponents Witch with CP.
Cultists without Village is probably Silver/Silver because of the chance of collidion, while with Villages building an engine might actually be easier than in the Witch case, which again would mean CP/Silver or CP/somethingforyourengine.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 01:53:32 pm »

Since you said no trashing, Cutpurse/Silver. But with trashing, I would be tempted to go Tournament/Silver.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.439 seconds with 23 queries.