Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lookout trashing Overgrown Estate  (Read 3821 times)

Istaro

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Lookout trashing Overgrown Estate
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:28:46 am »
+4

I just finished a game in which I played a Lookout, looked at the top three cards of my deck, and one of them was my Overgrown Estate.

I decided to trash the Overgrown Estate, but wasn't sure where to draw the resulting card from.  The top of my deck, of course, but does that include the remaining two cards I'm looking at due to Lookout?

If not, that seems a little strange because Lookout just starts out with "Look at the top 3 cards of your deck", and just looking at something doesn't seem like it should change its location.

But if so, and I'm supposed to draw one of the two remaining Lookout-revealed cards, I guess I have to remember which of them was on top, and more confusingly, how do I then continue with the resolution of Lookout?  Do I look at one additional card from the top of my deck (i.e. the set of Lookout-revealed cards can change dynamically)?  If not, then the next step of the Lookout resolution, i.e. discarding one card, will leave me with zero Lookout-revealed cards, leaving me unable to resolve the final step of Lookout, i.e. top-decking a card.  My guess at the time was that, having no Lookout-revealed cards left to top-deck, I should just skip that part of Lookout and call it resolved.  Is that right?

Thanks in advance!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Lookout trashing Overgrown Estate
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:50 am »
+1

"Look" isn't a clearly explained mechanic, but I guess it's similar as "reveal", therefore I would think the 3 cards are separated from your deck when you're looking at them. The physical action of picking 3 up and looking at them separates them. Looking at them while they're still on your deck is a bit clumsy.

If you trash OE, draw another card from the top and add it to your hand.
Then continue resolving Lookout with the other 2 cards currently residing in "Lookout Limbo".

I think this is the most straightforward way to resolve the issue, but that isn't always the right way. I'm sure Donald will post a ruling here soon.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:12 am »

I think it's quite clear that by trashing OE with lookout you draw the next card in your draw pile, not one of the other two you are looking at. It's the obvious solution, and I THINK Goko is doing it this way too.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:37:14 am »

Can you choose to fully resolve Lookout first?  That is, discard/put back, then draw?

I only got a few DA games in on iso during The One Time, so I don't know if there's an immediately clause built in to on-trash effects.  On-buy and on-clean up/discard effects seem to let you decide the order in which you do them.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:52:26 am »

Can you choose to fully resolve Lookout first?  That is, discard/put back, then draw?

I only got a few DA games in on iso during The One Time, so I don't know if there's an immediately clause built in to on-trash effects.  On-buy and on-clean up/discard effects seem to let you decide the order in which you do them.
No, on-card on-trash/on-discard/on-buy/on-gain effects take precedence.

It's the same when you gain Border Village with Haggler in play.
First you gain a card off BV and then a card off Haggler.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 08:54:56 am »

No, Trash, Discard and Topdeck are three separate events, and one must be fully resolved before advancing to the next.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:55:14 am »

No, on-card on-trash/on-discard/on-buy/on-gain effects take precedence.

It's the same when you gain Border Village with Haggler in play.
First you gain a card off BV and then a card off Haggler.

Iso gave you a choice on some of those things, didn't it?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:03 am »

The BV/Haggler case is a bit different. The Haggler effect comes first because it's reacting to the Buying, while BV is reacting to the Gaining, and we all know that Buying comes before Gaining. For Lookout/OE, the OE effect is reacting to it being trashed, while the Lookout Discard effect is just reacting to all previous instructions having been fully resolved so it's time to follow the next instruction.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:31:22 am »
+3

If you trash OE, draw another card from the top and add it to your hand.
Then continue resolving Lookout with the other 2 cards currently residing in "Lookout Limbo".

I think this is the most straightforward way to resolve the issue, but that isn't always the right way. I'm sure Donald will post a ruling here soon.

Donald has actually already posted a ruling on this, over here.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 03:17:05 pm »

The BV/Haggler case is a bit different. The Haggler effect comes first because it's reacting to the Buying, while BV is reacting to the Gaining, and we all know that Buying comes before Gaining. For Lookout/OE, the OE effect is reacting to it being trashed, while the Lookout Discard effect is just reacting to all previous instructions having been fully resolved so it's time to follow the next instruction.
Oh that's right, tried to think of a simple example and still got it wrong, that's Dominion for ya.

Istaro

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »

Donald has actually already posted a ruling on this, over here.

Ah hah.

Thanks everyone!  I'm glad I asked.  I wouldn't have found Donald's mention of "being-looked-at land" (Davio's "Lookout Limbo") since I was searching for mentions of Lookout plus OE, not just Lookout.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 11:09:37 am »

Thanks everyone!  I'm glad I asked.  I wouldn't have found Donald's mention of "being-looked-at land" (Davio's "Lookout Limbo") since I was searching for mentions of Lookout plus OE, not just Lookout.

See this thread, which I started because of the same question about "revealing".
Donald says it's safe to call them "set aside" there. The same would have to go for every card that you reveal or look at from your deck. Anyway, "set aside" is functionally equivalent to having them in "being-looked-at-land" or "being-revealed-land". But since the latter doesn't really cut it for a FAQ I called it "set aside" there.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.734 seconds with 21 queries.