Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The danger of playing for the megaturn (the danger of playing 5P)  (Read 1882 times)

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
+1

5P IRL game. In the kingdom:

Caravan, Develop, Duke, Highway, Ironmonger, King's Court, Peddler, Tactician, Throne Room, Wharf

Jerry and Julia both took early Provinces, and when they did I told them, "I don't know about that. This is clearly a megaturn game, you want all your green at once. One Province now will just make it harder for to take 7 later." Spoiler alert: You see where this is going.

The turn that made people start declaring me the inevitable winner I drew for Tactician, played KC-Wharf, bought the last 2 KC and the last 3 Peddlers.

The next turn I played Highway x2, KC-KC-Ironmonger($, $, card)-Peddler-Peddler, Peddler. Now my deck was completely drawn and the only action remaining was the Tac. As I considered playing it, I counted aloud my coin from actions, my buys, and my discount. Then I bought Highway, Highway, Wharf.

And as I was shuffling and Bret was starting his turn, I suddenly went, "Wait. I didn't play my treasure? I was holding another $11, I had another buy, I totally would have taken that last Highway." Followed by, "And if I didn't play the treasure, why didn't I play the Tac?" But that was my fault, no take-backs, too late, too bad. Put it in Greatest Misclicks, I guess.

So Bret took the Highway instead.

I usually want to know What Might Have Been, so I checked after the fact. With Tac in play, my next turn was easily Highway x4, KC-KC-Wharf-Wharf-KC-Peddler-Peddler-Peddler. $20 with treasure, 8 buys, buy 5 Provinces and the last 3 Caravans, win. Without Tac, good but not as good. Either way, it never happened.

Jerry had $8, 2 buys, 2 Highways. He considered Province-Caravan, realized there were only 2 more Wharfs, bought them. Won with 15 points.

Whoops.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: The danger of playing for the megaturn (the danger of playing 5P)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:35 am »
+2

My Dominion ability scales backwards with the number of players.

5 is just insanity, why not 2 and 3? :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:22:29 pm »

When I play with more than 4 players (the most I have done is 6! Seven I can't even imagine being close to fun) I use a house rule that require an additional pile to run out for each additional player. So for 5 player (4 piles have to be gone), for 6 (5 piles have to be gone). This prevents more of the three pile endings that happen and games will more often end on provinces. I would say about as often as normal 4P games end on provinces

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »

4 piles with 5 players is the official rule anyway.

I am curious which piles were emptied in the OP story: Highway, Wharf, X, and Y. Peddler and Ironmonger?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:51:39 pm »

That's really not 5p-specific, btw. If you let the game get to a point where there are only 2 buys left to end the game - and your opponents have a surplus of +Buy, such as with Wharf, AND cost reduction - you can expect not to get another turn.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 03:00:50 pm »

The turn that made people start declaring me the inevitable winner I drew for Tactician, played KC-Wharf, bought the last 2 KC and the last 3 Peddlers.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »

5 player Dominion is basically a scramble for points after like 2 rounds of play, in my experience.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 03:18:02 pm »

If I play IRL, we allow take-backs as long as it doesn't affect how you decided things. Like you can't take back after you play Council Room and see that you drew 4 dead actions, but your Tactician play should be allowed as long as no one else has started their turn yet. Makes sense and avoids making some dumb mistake and ruining the fun for someone.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 04:33:24 pm »

Thanks!
 ::) reading abilities are overrated  ;D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.518 seconds with 21 queries.