Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Not playing Smithy in fear of drawing dead actions?  (Read 8786 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
Not playing Smithy in fear of drawing dead actions?
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:03:40 pm »

I was thinking recently, sometimes when I have just a Smithy I'm afraid to play it in fear that I'll draw dead actions.  But, now that I think about it, unless you have a special action card in your deck, you should usually play the Smithy.  You might get a bit more coins, and it will increase cycling.  Has anybody else thought about this?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Not playing Smithy in fear of drawing dead actions?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:05:41 pm »
+1

If playing the Smithy will get me close to reshuffling without actually triggering it, I'll usually play it. If it would trigger a reshuffle, I sometimes won't. There are lots of variables, of course, but that's the one that springs to my mind.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:38 pm »
+11

The proper way to use Smithy.
Well you *do* need a signature...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:05:21 pm »

Well, in a vacuum, like, if you aren't counting your cards or tracking deck/discard at all, then Smithy has no effect on whether you have an action remaining when your action cards come around.  The odds of drawing action cards dead is equally and oppositely opposed by the improved cycling, so over all it's a null, so your smithy is really just "+3$", (or maybe +2$ if you've got lots of those action cards running around).

WITH card counting, you might know that the remaining cards in your deck are dense with actions, so maybe you shouldn't play the Smithy.   The most extreme case would be something like, the next three cards in your deck are certain to be Village, Smithy, Laboratory.

But, what happens in practice is that that kind of clump rarely happens.  And if the thing you are considering is whether to draw Witch/Copper/Copper dead, then, yes the correct play is not to play the Smithy, but the real focus should be, why are you buying Smithy in a game where it is competing with such a powerful terminal?

It's a problem that will mostly come up in engine decks that somehow sputter when they shouldn't, and sometimes it is tricky to decide.  You have to consider whether playing the Smithy will make you jump the 4-5$ gap anyhow, if it doesn't you should lean towards not playing it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:41 pm »
+2

This is more of a problem with a moat than a smithy, typically in a deck with moat and witch.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55:15 pm »

This is more of a problem with a moat than a smithy, typically in a deck with moat and witch.

It's more any terminal draw, Smithy is just what came to mind.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:48:46 am »
+3

Well, in a vacuum, like, if you aren't counting your cards or tracking deck/discard at all, then Smithy has no effect on whether you have an action remaining when your action cards come around.  The odds of drawing action cards dead is equally and oppositely opposed by the improved cycling, so over all it's a null, so your smithy is really just "+3$", (or maybe +2$ if you've got lots of those action cards running around).

WITH card counting, you might know that the remaining cards in your deck are dense with actions, so maybe you shouldn't play the Smithy.   The most extreme case would be something like, the next three cards in your deck are certain to be Village, Smithy, Laboratory.

But, what happens in practice is that that kind of clump rarely happens.
Okay, something that extreme rarely happens. But there are a lot of decks where it happens decently often. Maybe a quarter of the games I get smithy, I don't (or shouldn't) play it at at least one point? Of course, this is one of those statistics that's made up on the spot - gut feel and intuitive rather than calculative memory.

And if the thing you are considering is whether to draw Witch/Copper/Copper dead, then, yes the correct play is not to play the Smithy, but the real focus should be, why are you buying Smithy in a game where it is competing with such a powerful terminal?

It's a problem that will mostly come up in engine decks that somehow sputter when they shouldn't, and sometimes it is tricky to decide.
Yeah, you actually have both smithy and witch a LOT of the time. And engine decks always have a chance to sputter now and then. And if you only go for engines when this chance is really low, you probably aren't doing so often enough.

Generally, you are giving good advice here. It's only that I would say it isn't such a rare thing as you are making it out to be.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 08:17:32 am »
+2

In other words:

Want some advice on Dominion? It depends.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 02:21:22 pm »

WW, are you saying that Smithy improves Witch bot?  I'm skeptical of that.  By that I mean, I would be skeptical of that if anyone but you said it.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 02:28:15 pm »

WW, are you saying that Smithy improves Witch bot?  I'm skeptical of that.  By that I mean, I would be skeptical of that if anyone but you said it.
Well, "Smithy improves witch bot" is almost trivially true, but perhaps not significantly. But I'm not actually saying that. What I'm saying is that you aren't usually playing big money anyway, and in the engine you should be playing, you want both.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 02:30:54 pm »

The proper way to use Smithy.

The proper way to use Scout:

Don't buy it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 04:26:33 pm »
+4

In other words:

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 06:41:32 pm »

Well, "Smithy improves witch bot" is almost trivially true, but perhaps not significantly. But I'm not actually saying that. What I'm saying is that you aren't usually playing big money anyway, and in the engine you should be playing, you want both.
Ok, yeah, I can definitely roll with Smithy and Witch working together in an engine.  I am a bit confused by Smithy improving Witch bot though.  Does a Smithy opening actually beat a Silver/Silver opening on a Witch board?  I would think it doesn't, because the cycling is pretty minor, the improved odds of buying a Witch 3/4 is pretty minor, and the odds of Witch colliding with Smithy later on is pretty significant.
But maybe it does.

I don't know if you meant "it's trivially true" as in, "pops is a dumbtard that isn't opening Smithy on BM Witch boards like everyone other 15+ player" or, "technically you buy Smithy as your third terminal when the curses run out so you can improve the bot".

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 06:45:45 pm »

Ok, yeah, I can definitely roll with Smithy and Witch working together in an engine.  I am a bit confused by Smithy improving Witch bot though.  Does a Smithy opening actually beat a Silver/Silver opening on a Witch board?  I would think it doesn't, because the cycling is pretty minor, the improved odds of buying a Witch 3/4 is pretty minor, and the odds of Witch colliding with Smithy later on is pretty significant.
But maybe it does.

I don't know if you meant "it's trivially true" as in, "pops is a dumbtard that isn't opening Smithy on BM Witch boards like everyone other 15+ player" or, "technically you buy Smithy as your third terminal when the curses run out so you can improve the bot".
I didn't necessarily mean opening - which may be leading to the confusion. That there is some moment ever in at least some games where when playing BM-witch that it would be beneficial to be able to get a smithy is what I'm saying is trivial. Opening smithy, would, I assume, be counterproductive.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 06:57:01 pm »
+1

"technically you buy Smithy as your third terminal when the curses run out so you can improve the bot".

It's that one.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 06:59:54 pm »

But maybe it does.

I didn't necessarily mean opening - which may be leading to the confusion. That there is some moment ever in at least some games where when playing BM-witch that it would be beneficial to be able to get a smithy is what I'm saying is trivial. Opening smithy, would, I assume, be counterproductive.

Ok, so we don't really disagree that much after all. 

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 11:07:05 pm »
+1

I went through a period where I was almost always unwilling to play the Smithy and risk dead draw.  Then I began asking myself when the situation comes up:  How badly do I need in improve my buying power this turn?  And, by extension, Is losing the actions to a dead draw compensated by the chance to draw more treasure?

An example of this:  Lets suppose that I am behind by a province and have 7 coin in hand with a smithy.  All players are actively greening.  In this case, playing the Smithy is a no-brainer.  Even if I draw several dead actions, as long as I get even one copper it is worth it, so I'll take the risk.

Conversely, if I have 2 coin to spend without having played the Smithy, then I will not do so since I am unlikely to get a useful amount of treasure and any dead actions unacceptably weaken my next hand.

Theses are somewhat extreme cases, but demonstrate the thought process I go through.

All this can be summed up as follows:  It Depends ;)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 01:12:02 am »

Easier answer is to count cards...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 01:16:18 am »

In other words:

Useless? Are you saying any Dominion advice doesn't largely depend on the kingdom?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 01:56:09 am »
+5

No. Basically all dominion advice does depend on the Kingdom.

Which is why "It depends on the kingdom" in response to a question is a useless statement; it doesn't actually help because it's trivially true for every single dominion question asked ever.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 01:58:31 am »
+1

There are plenty of times you will consciously decide not to play a Smithy or Smithy equivalent. Maybe you already have enough coin in hand. Maybe you don't want to trigger a reshuffle. Maybe you have 7 cards in your deck and you know 4 of them are Actions.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 03:24:01 am »

it doesn't actually help because it's trivially true for every single dominion question asked ever.

Some Dominion questions are straight-forward with always true answers.  In other words, it depends on the question. :D

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:46 am »

Which is why "It depends on the kingdom" in response to a question is a useless statement; it doesn't actually help because it's trivially true for every single dominion question asked ever.

Edge case:

"On a Witch board, if you open 5/2, is it better to open Witch/Nothing, or Curse/Curse?"

That question does not depend on the Kingdom. ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 09:33:10 am »
+1

Edge case:

"On a Witch board, if you open 5/2, is it better to open Witch/Nothing, or Curse/Curse?"

Of course it does.  You said, 'On a Witch board'.  That's a specific kind of kingdom on which your question depends.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 09:40:10 am »

Edge case:

It could depend on the kingdom if there's Gardens and the one Curse instead of Nothing is the relevant card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.032 seconds with 21 queries.