Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Butcher - frist spoiler?  (Read 12991 times)

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
Re: Butcher - frist spoiler?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 09:12:04 am »

If I have nothing in my hand to trash, I can try to trash it and then spend coins to gain a card (Village, Butcher, KC-Butcher, trashing one card, spending my 8 tokens, and gaining a Province). Of course, that will depend on the exact wording and any "if you do"s.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:02 am »

If I have nothing in my hand to trash, I can try to trash it and then spend coins to gain a card

What? No, you can't. If you play a Remodel and have nothing in hand to trash, you don't gain a card costing up to $2. You gain nothing.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:33 am »

So perhaps something like…

Butcher
Types: Action
Cost: $5
Take 2 coin tokens. Trash a card from your hand. You may spend 1 or more coin tokens. If you do, gain a card costing up to exactly $1 more per token spent than the trashed card.

I would change it like this.

That's a pretty harsh nerf.

Does this make it reasonable again?

The fact that it picks up 2 coin tokens per use makes the requirement okay, IMO. You can use it to pick up 2 coin tokens (and alter the makeup of your deck, if you wish), or pick up one coin token and trash a Copper, or use as a Remodel/Expand variant in exchange for any number of coin tokens.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 10:44:12 am »

If I have nothing in my hand to trash, I can try to trash it and then spend coins to gain a card

What? No, you can't. If you play a Remodel and have nothing in hand to trash, you don't gain a card costing up to $2. You gain nothing.

It all depends on how it is worded, right? Forager let's you use the virtual coin regardless of having a card to trash. Feast let's you gain a second 5 when throned despite not being around to trash again. The point is simply that, depending on how Butcher is worded, you may be able to spend coins to gain a card without trashing. (The card is not even released, but I am edge-casing).
For example.
Trash a card.
You may spend Tokens to gain a card costing up to $1 more than the card you trashed per Token.

If I have no cards to trash, I would think that I could gain a card costing up to X Tokens more than 0. It is sort of like the butcher has a built-in Salvager, but in my mind, I can start at 0.

I may be flat out wrong. And the point may be moot. Either way, it's speculation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:52 am »

So perhaps something like…

Butcher
Types: Action
Cost: $5
Take 2 coin tokens. Trash a card from your hand. You may spend 1 or more coin tokens. If you do, gain a card costing up to exactly $1 more per token spent than the trashed card.

I would change it like this.

That's a pretty harsh nerf.

Does this make it reasonable again?

The fact that it picks up 2 coin tokens per use makes the requirement okay, IMO. You can use it to pick up 2 coin tokens (and alter the makeup of your deck, if you wish), or pick up one coin token and trash a Copper, or use as a Remodel/Expand variant in exchange for any number of coin tokens.

I don't think that version's powerful enough to cost $5. Assuming Butcher gets you 2 coin tokens instead of 1, it has to cost $5. Otherwise it's strictly better than Remodel.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. If you must gain a card costing exactly $X more, it's not strictly better than Remodel. However, it's extremely rare that you Remodel a card into a card costing less, so it's almost strictly better.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:19:18 pm by LastFootnote »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.562 seconds with 20 queries.