Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thought experiment: best color?  (Read 3717 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Thought experiment: best color?
« on: April 08, 2013, 08:53:41 pm »

Imagine for a moment that you can only have a single color on your board.  What color would you choose?  What color would you choose (if you could) for your opponent?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Thought experiment: best color?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:03:39 pm »

Am I not allowed to meld cards of other colors and not allowed to activate effects that could cause me to have a card of a different color?  I'm confused.

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:51:07 pm »

i guess either red or blue,blue has all the tech up card,red has all the industry symbols and some really nasty cards like mobility,combustion,composite,fission and robotics... as for my opponent color... purple,with the exception of lighting it's not a very scary color and is host of most random effect

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:54:22 pm »

Purple is also bad because it has a lot of cards which do transfers. I'd probably go for blue or green, depending on whether I'm allowed to draw cards that are not my color. (Blue if I can)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:23:45 am »

I'd give my opponent purple for sure and go with either yellow or blue myself. Probably blue.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Hideyoshi

• Baron
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30:00 am »

You may try this with real cards. 2 players can only meld one color, see what happen~

Green cards may be the best answer, as there is collaboration and measurement to help you to win immediately~

Yellow is not too bad, as you may have skyscrapers to burst all cards away.

Blue is somehow not too bad, but you are just playing the game solely as you cannot demanding anyway

Red seems good, but the problem is you seldom tech up with red only

Purple.... well, I cannot say it is bad, but you may get some trouble in some ages, especially in later stage.

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:38:50 am »
+1

here is an interessing factoid for the argument,the total number of symbols each color has

Blue

Castle - 3
Leaves - 6
Lightbulb - 27
Crown - 9
Factory - 4
Clock - 14

Green

Castle - 4
Leaves - 6
Lightbulb - 12
Crown - 25
Factory - 7
Clock - 9

Purple

Castle - 9
Leaves - 14
Lightbulb - 18
Crown - 11
Factory - 5
Clock - 6

Red

Castle - 15
Leaves - 0
Lightbulb - 5
Crown - 12
Factory - 24
Clock - 7

Yellow

Castle - 7
Leaves - 33
Lightbulb - 5
Crown - 9
Factory - 9
Clock - 0

as far as i'm concerned the most important symbols are factories and crown,therefore the best pile would be green or red (although i really like the tech up power of blue),purple is the least homogeneous color with lightbulb being the symbol that appear most often but blue beat purple in that aspect
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:45:13 am by teasel »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:56 am »

Maybe Monotheism / Clothing break this thought experiment, though.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:58:36 am »

I'm going to further expand this thought experiment for echoes.

Purple has the two splayers (code of laws and flute), plus some very nice echo potential on the left splay (bell / flute / novel), as well as right splay with reformation.  Clock is a real killer if your opponent has a large 3 / 4 / 5 hand / score pile.

Blue has almanac / magnifying glass / telescope / ruler for some really crazy foreshadowing and drawing, not to mention a real age advancement ringer in slide rule.  The magnifying glass will let you splay your blue cards left to take advantage of all these abilities.  Linguistics is a pretty broken card if you have the early lightbulb advantage and a bonus on your board.  Draw and foreshadow + draw is the most powerful ability.  I would argue that foreshadow is stronger than meld because of the meld / execute effects.

Yellow is pretty good once you can splay right with deodorant / toothbrush, I suppose you have to wait until age 5 statistics to splay that right, you would definitely be up on leaves, and watermill leads to some interesting potential for very fast age advancement.

Red is not as useful because the abilities are kind of lame until later; however, once coke / coal / kobuksun roll around you have some interesting echoes and splay.  If you count industrialization (the single most broken card in echoes) with rubber tucked, well then red takes the cake.

Green is probably the least useful in echoes, but an early umbrella / wheel is nice.  However, you have no cards to splay that left until homing pigeons.  Paper / umbrella tucked is VERY powerful, but you really need 3+ colors splayed to be very effective.  Green also has measurement, the earliest potential instant game-ending card.  That makes for an interesting wild-card possibility, but several of the green echoes are fairly poor compared to their counterparts.

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:24:35 am »
+1

A related and less broken question is, "what if you could only ever apply the dogma effects of a single color?" So you don't have to worry about interactions with forced melds, monotheism, clothing, etc.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 11:36:07 am »

A related and less broken question is, "what if you could only ever apply the dogma effects of a single color?" So you don't have to worry about interactions with forced melds, monotheism, clothing, etc.

Would this apply to say, Satellites?

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »

Would this apply to say, Satellites?
meh :\

I'd say you can execute a dogma effect if you are forced to by another dogma effect. And you can share opponent's effects. You just can't voluntarily execute a dogma outside your chosen color.

Hideyoshi

• Baron
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 03:16:05 am »

Actually, do your question have any strict instruction? You cannot have any other colors on your board, no matter you can do it by demanding or non-demanding dogma? Both players are playing on the same situation? Or you just mean sometime you can unlucky to draw a number of same color cards?

BitTorrent

• Bishop
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 04:08:59 am »

Assume I am allowed to splay up,

Base: Green(So I can swap all my hands by bicycle, grab a few achievements and win by Self service);

Echoes: Green(So I can tuck hot air balloon and swarm the deck out with The Wheel or something else on top while keep draw and score a 7 each time, shell give me enough winning potential);

Why not other colors? Because my opponent can have clothing if I go with other colors and I am quite sure that I will lose the game  :P

Oh one more note, if I actually have 9 green cards with Measurement I can splay it right first, got Collaboration and win the game...right?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:12:35 am by BitTorrent »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.