Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting Alchemy/Prosperity Board  (Read 1602 times)

massenburger

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Interesting Alchemy/Prosperity Board
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »
+3

Disclaimer: I've been mostly a lurker on this site for a while. I only started playing Dominion at the end of last January, so I'm not that great of a player by any stretch. I didn't play on iso that much, and I don't really play on Goko that much either (but I want too....).

Anyway, my wife and I played a couple of Alchemy/Prosperity games last night, and we came across (in my mind) this really interesting board.

http://www.dominiondeck.com/games/big-or-small
[Herbalist,Apothecary,Watchtower,Philosopher's Stone,Familiar,Talisman,Bishop,Mountebank,Apprentice,Hoard]

I had just read about the herbalist/phil stone combo a while ago, so that is what immediately jumped out at me, but the more I looked at the board the more I started seeing other viable strategies. I ended up trying the herbalist/phil stone combo, and pulled it off pretty well. My wife quickly filled me up with all 10 curses, and a bunch of coppers, which I was happy to count every time I played my phil stone. I ended up winning 35-29, which I think is pretty good considering I had all 10 curses, and some terrible luck with my phil stones and herbalists not lining up (despite the fact I had about 8 herbalists, and 4 phil stones).

As I said, I'm still fairly new, so I may have missed a few (maybe obvious) strategies.

Also, is there another board I should have posted this to? I looked but couldn't find any kind of "IRL game session" board.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Alchemy/Prosperity Board
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:43:50 pm »
+2

Welcome to the forums!

You might be looking for the Game Reports subforum, or the Help subsubforum within that one.  But GD is probably ok for it too.

Was this set using Colonies?

In general, I'd say that Mountebank is hard to ignore, but the interaction with Philo Stone is interesting.  But I probably would not go for Familiar unless I was also interested in either Philo Stone or Apothecary.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:58:46 am »
+2

I do like Philosopher's Stone.  It's hard to pass up on Cursing altogether though, so I'd be tempted to open Potion/Herbalist then buy exactly one Familiar before focusing on the PStones.

Very complex and interesting set.  I think this is a fine place to post it.  (I also suspect that most regulars browse from "recent unread" rather than the forum lists, so will see it wherever it gets put.)

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:13:33 am »

I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts on this as well. I tried this board on Goko singleplayer and destroyed Lord Bottington both using a pure Philosopher's Stone/Herbalist strategy (I did discard curses to Mountebank and trash curses in my hand to my opponent's Bishop), as well as using an initially offensive strategy followed by Apprentice and Bishop trashing until I was able to buy a Colony each turn. I obviously had a higher total score on the former but the latter seemed to work just as well. I'm not sure how I would have fared pitting the two against each other.

Both games were Colony games.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:15:27 am »

Gotta be Herbalist/PhilStone.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:20:00 am »
+2

Thirded PS/Herbalist+1Familiar.  Give out light cursing to not end 0-10 on them and also slow your opponent a bit.  PS/Herbalist itself can handle the Curses quite well, Mountebank even better.  If opponents follows for PS, maybe no Curser at all.

GiB

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:20 am »

Interesting board indeed.

I agree Herbalist+PStone+Curser should be good, but I would not commit to that strategy in the opening, just in case the opponent goes on heavy Bishops+Hoards (in which case it is probably best to forget about PStones).
  • With 4/3, I would either :
    • open Silver/Potion, grab a single Familiar ASAP, and save the Herbalists for later. With $2P I would probably also buy Apothecary over Herbalist.
    • open Silver/Bishop if my opponent opens Herbalist
  • With 5/2, open Mountebank/-, deal out a few Curses, then again switch to heavy Bishop/Hoard (trashing Mountebank over Copper) if my opponent goes for PStones.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.447 seconds with 21 queries.