Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11  All

Author Topic: a fascinating puzzle game  (Read 56933 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
Re: a fascinating puzzle game
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:23 pm »

Now, I have a problem. I have a working solution to level 43, but when I solve it, I don't get "you solved it window" but another puzzle appears, with different input and output, and nothing gets unlocked :O

I can post solution for somebody to check or something..

The help wasn't too clear about this, in each level you are trying to build a machine.  Just because you have the correct input and output doesn't mean you built what it was asking you to.  The new input and output is showing you what is wrong with it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2013, 08:46:04 pm »

Now, I have a problem. I have a working solution to level 43, but when I solve it, I don't get "you solved it window" but another puzzle appears, with different input and output, and nothing gets unlocked :O

I can post solution for somebody to check or something..

The help wasn't too clear about this, in each level you are trying to build a machine.  Just because you have the correct input and output doesn't mean you built what it was asking you to.  The new input and output is showing you what is wrong with it.

Edited already, yeah, I got what I was doing wrong.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2013, 09:36:25 pm »

Solved it.
Thanks for 1-way gates tip, it made this much easier :D

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »

Some of these later levels are ridiculous...  Listen to this one: "Balls come in from any direction.  For the first ball nothing comes out.  For each ball after the first, the previous color ball comes out on the opposite side of where the current ball came in."

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2013, 10:13:30 pm »

Some of these later levels are ridiculous...  Listen to this one: "Balls come in from any direction.  For the first ball nothing comes out.  For each ball after the first, the previous color ball comes out on the opposite side of where the current ball came in."

Wuuut?

I already find 45 quite hard and will need a lot of time. Should sleep now htough. (didn't start it yet, no idea how to divide by 3 :p maybe by 6 is double).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2013, 10:40:38 pm »

I like this one.  I think my solution is pretty.  It was worth 2 stars, and it might be 3 stars if I could just find the 3 star solution to #48.  I have 3 star for #47 but only 2 star for the reset, which is what I need for Storage 1.

#59 is destroying me, all the more because I know it's the last one.  I feel like I'm very close (with a ridiculously inelegant solution) but there is just some little bug somewhere I can't find.

If anyone is curious as to what #59 is, it's a stack.  Red and blue balls enter from the left but have no output.  Instead, they are stored in a stack.  A green ball will pop a ball from the stack and output it.  If the stack is empty, a yellow is output instead.

The example input output is:

rbbggrggg
___bb_rry

I think my most hilarious solution so far is for #56.  271 tiles!  It's because I used a previous solution as a custom tile and then I duplicated it with minor changes... not to mention overuse of lots of spinners that could probably be simplified with splitters and arrows.

Feature request: a shortcut for rotating or mirroring all tiles on a board.  Would be nice for custom tiles.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2013, 10:52:16 pm »

I think I'm using a lot more for 56 than you...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2013, 10:57:53 pm »

I think I'm using a lot more for 56 than you...

But I can't imagine that 271 tiles is efficient.  And it's a 1-star solution.

Edit: how many tiles did you use for 55?  Mine is 37.  That's 24 tiles in my main tile, 4 of which are a custom tile with 13 tiles.  The custom tile is based on my solution for 48, which was 11 tiles and only 2 stars.  If I could find the optimal solution for 48, that might be enough to get the optimal for 55... and that would also help 56, but not even close to enough. :P

But my 55 is beautiful!  Nothing spinning madly in weird directions.  Completely focused.  and tiles clearly ordered.  I want to post it, but I don't want to spoil it for people. :P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:02:24 pm by eHalcyon »

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2013, 11:01:21 pm »

David, is there any way that you could see my file?  I saved it to google...  I'm on another computer now and it's still not working correctly.  It's hard to even test things because the custom tiles don't work usually.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2013, 01:29:40 am »

I checked the score page and saw that the best solution for #57 is 5 tiles... I had it at 13 and just cut it down to 9.  :-\

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2013, 06:17:36 am »

Everything after about 50 is insane, I have to say. I'm on I think #53 and I have a good idea for solving it, but haven't done it yet. My first thought upon seeing it was "nope."
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2013, 07:49:57 am »

Wuuut?

I already find 45 quite hard and will need a lot of time. Should sleep now htough. (didn't start it yet, no idea how to divide by 3 :p maybe by 6 is double).

Ok, I'm officially an idiot. It's easy, just needed to brush up on my electronics, you basically need to make a sort of a flip-flop thingy.

Edit:
LEVEL 50! On a related note, getting the hang of this alternating things.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:10:09 am by Grujah »

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2013, 11:46:35 am »
+1

OK, I have a new challenge. On level 1, what's the highest number of tiles you can use and still win? Only rule is each tile must be used at least once. My record is 36.

link

EDIT: Got it up to 47. I'm feeling a bit dizzy.  http://tinyurl.com/cnozqzu

I really liked this new challenge, and now I found a new solution.
It's remarkably symmetric actually. I started out with this solution to level 6 and then had to remove some to exit at the right gate.
Join the Dominion League!

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2013, 02:07:05 pm »

Level 53 - I used 3/4 of the board for 52, how the hell am I going to fit THIS in ?  :o

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2013, 02:08:29 pm »

Level 53 - I used 3/4 of the board for 52, how the hell am I going to fit THIS in ?  :o

Custom tiles.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2013, 02:24:12 pm »

Yeah, I know, but I tend to use them only in very steamlined levels (like Decoder one) - and this one is going to be a mess. Oh, well.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2013, 03:42:05 pm »
+1

Ok, high score challenge for puzzle #8 has proved to be fairly challenging. My best so far is 43. But there's a lot of blank space out there.

43 tile solution: http://tinyurl.com/brz5pbe

EDIT: another 43 tile solution, but with more symmetry. Aesthetics count for something right? http://tinyurl.com/cmxlz5y
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:50:35 pm by jonts26 »

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »

Ok, high score challenge for puzzle #8 has proved to be fairly challenging. My best so far is 43. But there's a lot of blank space out there.

43 tile solution: http://tinyurl.com/brz5pbe

EDIT: another 43 tile solution, but with more symmetry. Aesthetics count for something right? http://tinyurl.com/cmxlz5y

Are you kidding? Aesthetics are all that matters for ridiculous challenges like these ;)
So I'm submitting this 53 with nice symmetry, not the ugly 56.
Join the Dominion League!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »

I haven't done 53, but I think I can do it easily, if somewhat messily. Make 52 into a custom tile. Have three copies of it. Then the first outputs up for red/blue (use splitters & colour change for this) and down for yellow/green, and gets send into the second or third tile respectively, where the proper direction is determined.

It's a slightly vague solution, but if you've gotten this far, it should be very do-able.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2013, 12:58:34 am »

I haven't done 53, but I think I can do it easily, if somewhat messily. Make 52 into a custom tile. Have three copies of it. Then the first outputs up for red/blue (use splitters & colour change for this) and down for yellow/green, and gets send into the second or third tile respectively, where the proper direction is determined.

It's a slightly vague solution, but if you've gotten this far, it should be very do-able.

Yeah, solved it already made 4 copies of level 52, and than some sheneningans. 202 tiles, best is 27 :D

54 is a breeeze!
And can be done in much less than my messy 22 tiles. :D

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2013, 02:18:40 am »

Yeah, solved it already made 4 copies of level 52, and than some sheneningans. 202 tiles, best is 27 :D

54 is a breeeze!
And can be done in much less than my messy 22 tiles. :D

Ha, 166 and 21!  I'm winning!

Seriously though, I'm so stuck on 59.  Also, the best scores from some of those levels make my head hurt.  Even on earlier levels, like #31 (Stop Red).  How the heck do you do that with 8?  Where is that little optimization?  I can't get it done without 9.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2013, 03:01:55 am »

I've just done 56 (Storage) with 465 :D
No Idea how to do 57 (Recursion) as you can't actually use recursion.. (i think? when I try, state just resets).
It needs to work for infinite number of balls, too, right?

I got 9 on stop red too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:14:52 am by Grujah »

David

• Steward
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2013, 03:19:11 am »

No Idea how to do 57 (Recursion) as you can't actually use recursion.. (i think? when I try, state just resets).
Infinite recursion is detected and causes a reset. But of course it wouldn't work anyway. Proper recursion does work. The idea is that it should in theory work for any number of balls, yes. Unfortunately I can't actually test that inside the game. But I will not accept high scores that don't work for any number of balls, even if they pass the test in the game.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:09 am »
+2

I got 9 on stop red too.
The 8 optimization in #31 is the same as how you get from 6 to 4 in #17.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:17 am »

I got 9 on stop red too.
The 8 optimization in #31 is the same as how you get from 6 to 4 in #17.

Derp. After reading that, instant high score.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.