Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Smash Bros. 4  (Read 14313 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros. 4
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:00 pm »

Little Mac? I like his in-your-face fighting style and would be happy to try him out. I don't have a Wii U though.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if Ike is gone (his games never sold that well, and Chrom is the new main FE lord), but Little Mac as a replacement seems weird. I see very little similarity personally, only what looks like his >b attack seems similar to Ike's >b.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 09:05:18 pm »

Little Mac? I like his in-your-face fighting style and would be happy to try him out. I don't have a Wii U though.

It's coming to 3ds too.  Much better library on it than the WiiU will probably ever have.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 09:09:40 pm »

It's coming to 3ds too.  Much better library on it than the WiiU will probably ever have.
In that case, I'll be sure to read reviews for the 3DS version when it comes out. I have no interest in another home console, but I don't have any hand-held ones. The most important factor for me would be the controls.

Edit: was it confirmed that people with a 3DS would be able to play against people with a WiiU?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:39 pm »

I think you can only play with people playing the same version.  Both have different stages (but the same characters) so I'd imagine they are not compatible.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:05 pm »

Oh, I really liked how, in the trailer for Little Mac, the Wii Fit Trainer was the only character that got the better of Little Mac. There must be some favouritism going on for the Wii Fit Trainer.

I think you can only play with people playing the same version.  Both have different stages (but the same characters) so I'd imagine they are not compatible.
Well, that's not ideal, but understandable. I know that Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale allows for cross platform play between the PS3 and the PSVita. I hope no one felt any pangs of pain upon mention of PSAS:BR. Personally, I'd only consider getting a PS4 if they make a sequel for it.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 12:37:42 am »

Well, considering Monster Hunters Tri Ultimate was cross-compatible between Wii U and 3DS versions, it wouldn't be too surprising if SSBU and SSB3DS were as well.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 12:52:46 am »

I couldn't find it, sue me

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:23 am »

Well, considering Monster Hunters Tri Ultimate was cross-compatible between Wii U and 3DS versions, it wouldn't be too surprising if SSBU and SSB3DS were as well.
Well, it doesn't seem like cross platform play will be happening:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/wii-u-and-3ds-smash-bros-will-not-have-cross-platform-play-wil/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 04:23:15 pm »
+1

Cross platform play would be a lot of extra effort for the developers for a feature that might not even see that much use.  If you're part of the consumer base that collectively rejected Four Swords for GBA/Gamecube then you can't complain that crossplatform play won't appear for this pair.

I have little to no idea why the PR for Nintendo has such a charade about it though.  "Cross platform play won't be possible because the games have different stages".  Making some stages appear in both versions is obviously a trivial task, and nowhere near the most difficult aspect of implementing cross platform play.  Maybe that's how PR is supposed to work in Japan, you give official reasons like that that sound like a decisive choice and not a lazy choice (maybe some kind of valuation on honor or work in their society), even though it's a lazy choice (I mean, a good lazy choice, as I outlined earlier the cost-benefit on crossplatform play isn't good enough.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »

I'm really excited about the customization aspect.  Having 40*10 mechanically unique character choices would be sweet.

If the customizations turn out to be taunts, man that would sure be a downer.

I honestly wouldn't have hardly minded if they were unlocked by repetitive tasks, I will probably get the DS version and take it everywhere everywhere everywhere.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 05:03:14 pm »

Having 40*10 mechanically unique character choices would be sweet.
... 400?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 06:16:27 pm »

40ish characters times 10ish customizations

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 11:19:13 pm »

40ish characters times 10ish customizations

...400ish^2 character-customizations?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2014, 07:50:08 am »

Both have different stages (but the same characters) so I'd imagine they are not compatible.

Didn't they just state "the same number of characters"? I wouldn't be surprised if that meant something.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2014, 09:11:05 am »

Must admit i never was overly exited for Little Mac, likely because i never played Punch Out, dislike sports in general and think his design is pretty bland (things that still apply).
I do admit that his preview video makes him look like a character i'd like to try out, though. He obviously has some moves that rely on what would be called "invincibility frames" in a normal 2D fighter, which gives me the hope that his gameplay style will make a connection between SSB and "real" 2D fighters. Might seem a bit stretched judging from the few things we have seen, but he is a martial artist, after all.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »

Both have different stages (but the same characters) so I'd imagine they are not compatible.

Didn't they just state "the same number of characters"? I wouldn't be surprised if that meant something.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be disappointed.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2014, 04:26:15 pm »

Diddy Kong returns. Awesome. I always loved the old DKC games, especially Diddy's Kong Quest. Really wouldn't mind having Dixie in there, either. Or at least an acceptable DKC stage that is not set in the jungle.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »

Diddy Kong returns. Awesome. I always loved the old DKC games, especially Diddy's Kong Quest. Really wouldn't mind having Dixie in there, either. Or at least an acceptable DKC stage that is not set in the jungle.
Really? Sweet.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.652 seconds with 22 queries.