Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Seriously, I'm Gone From Goko Until They Implement Auto-Resign  (Read 18081 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
+9

I've had my opponent disappear on me while I'm in the middle of an epic comeback one too many times.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously, I'm Gone From Goko Until They Implement Auto-Resign
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »

Are you not getting the five minute time out?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:45:29 pm »
+1

No I get it, but I've realized that when you win by virtue of the five minute time out, the game doesn't count as a win. My rating didn't change after it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:53 pm »

I pretty much play exclusively against bots now, and this is a big part of the reason. They need to get their act together NOW.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 02:04:33 pm »

No I get it, but I've realized that when you win by virtue of the five minute time out, the game doesn't count as a win. My rating didn't change after it.

Possible that your opponent didnt have a high enough score so you didnt gain any points from the victory?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »

No, when somebody times out or quits it doesn't count as a loss. They keep saying they'll fix that eventually, but they're taking forever to get it all done. C'est la vie. It'll happen eventually...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:29:58 pm »
+4

Stop being so critical.  It's still a beta, right?

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 02:40:20 pm »
+2

No, if it were beta we would still have Iso.  :'(

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 02:47:13 pm »
+1

upvoted by poe's law

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 02:49:43 pm »

upvoted by poe's law
Touché, and an upvote for you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:25:46 pm »

Is your rating more important than having fun?  Serious question, not trying to be a dick.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 03:32:48 pm »
+4

Is your rating more important than having fun?  Serious question, not trying to be a dick.

The problem is that the current system encourages your opponents to close their browser and make you wait five minutes. Waiting five minutes is not fun.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 03:33:27 pm »
+3

Whether it is or not, waiting for your opponent to time out is definitely unfun. Getting a rating boost for your patience could at least be a compensation for the unfun time.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 03:55:26 pm »
+10

My rating isn't more important than having fun. But it's also very important to me. I'm a competitor; I like being good at something, improving at it, and seeing objective evidence that I am making progress. In high school I ran track competitively, and while in a very real sense I was doing it for more reason than just to be good at it... I wanted to know my times. If I just ran a 400 meter dash and I think it was fast, well, I want to know exactly how fast it is. That's a big part of the reason that I do it.

This game I played today, my opponent was two Colonies ahead of me. But man, my strategy was better, I had just taken the rest of the Curses thanks to my opponent's Torturers, I had finished draining the Farming Village pile with Workshop, and I had just used 3 Horns of Plenty to pick up King's Court/City/City. These Level 2 Cities were the only source of +buy, and my opponent had none. Which means I could safely drain the City pile to 2 if I wanted--he had no way to gain more than 1 thing per turn. Which also means I had him totally defeated; I could afford perhaps 2 more turns of building before a huge Horns/Kings/Cities/(and Bishop!) megaturn got me all the rest of those points. And I had planned this, I hadn't panicked when I fell behind in Colonies, or when I had accepted 3 Curses.

But I never got to finish that game, and I never got credit for it. And that's something Goko has to fix before I ever play another random opponent.

spiritbears

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 04:34:53 pm »

I agree Robz. The only play with a very select group of humans now. For random play I stuck with Botz.   And the whole "beta" thing very badly handled in my mind.  Goko will never be able to replicate/replace iso....so for that (even though I have paid for every single RL expansion and goko card set), I will never completely forgive the Don and goko...they didn't need to force Iso down...they  chose to through agreement and capitalist inclination.
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 04:37:29 pm »

I agree Robz. The only play with a very select group of humans now. For random play I stuck with Botz.   And the whole "beta" thing very badly handled in my mind.  Goko will never be able to replicate/replace iso....so for that (even though I have paid for every single RL expansion and goko card set), I will never completely forgive the Don and goko...they didn't need to force Iso down...they  chose to through agreement and capitalist inclination.

I have a slightly different take. I want Donald to make money from online Dominion, I am willing to pay him for online Dominion, I'm just not going to pay for this version of online Dominion until they add auto-resign, and I'm extremely frustrated that they haven't fixed it yet, since it seems categorically more important to me than building 50 new lobbies.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 04:38:13 pm »

Pretty sure there was nothing 'The Don' could/would do about Goko. He sold the rights to make Dominion to RGG for X amount of years, im pretty sure thats a standard contract for games.

Unless your critisizing him for selling it in the first place, but I doubt you are doing that.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 04:52:24 pm »

I had always thought it was the case that it was an agreement between x and Dougz that kept iso alive, not an RGG and Dougz agreement?  Anyway, goko certainly didn't need to put the hammer down on Iso and could have worked out an agreement to allow it to stay afloat.  And, I'm betting the Donald probably held/holds enough sway with RGG (and maybe goko) to negotiate keeping iso alive...but my impression from reading in here, was that was never something he wanted, since he always referred to iso as "something people get for free [without paying me/RGG]"
Certainly this could all be my misguided interpretation.  But I wish the Donald's lawyer and rgg's and goko's and Dougz could have all come together on it....so many people like that product, has to be worth keeping alive! 
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 05:06:14 pm »
+5

I had always thought it was the case that it was an agreement between x and Dougz that kept iso alive, not an RGG and Dougz agreement?
It was a gentlemen's agreement between all three, really, though only RGG technically had the rights to make such an agreement.

Anyway, goko certainly didn't need to put the hammer down on Iso and could have worked out an agreement to allow it to stay afloat.
In which case they would have made no money, which contradicts their business model of making some money.  Which is pretty common in business models.

And, I'm betting the Donald probably held/holds enough sway with RGG (and maybe goko) to negotiate keeping iso alive...but my impression from reading in here, was that was never something he wanted, since he always referred to iso as "something people get for free [without paying me/RGG]"
Did you know that the first person RGG and Donald approached to do the commercial version was, in fact, Dougz?  He didn't want the job.  Yet RGG let him keep it up until a commercial version was live.

Certainly this could all be my misguided interpretation.
Yes, it certainly could be.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »
+1

To me, the competitiveness is what keeps it fun.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 01:39:36 am »

Iso alive doesn't mean goko can't make money...it's called competition.  And the market should bear both.  The fact that the better product is losin out to the inferior I guess shows how capitalism is just a rigged game anyways.  Smart people (or their lawyers) should have found a way to make money with both (or let both exist and attract dominion players!

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 01:52:47 am »

Smart people (or their lawyers) should have found a way to make money with both

Did you know that the first person RGG and Donald approached to do the commercial version was, in fact, Dougz?  He didn't want the job.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 02:43:19 am »

I've had my opponent disappear on me while I'm in the middle of an epic comeback one too many times.
+1
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 03:26:42 am »
+1

Iso alive doesn't mean goko can't make money...it's called competition.  And the market should bear both.

But it's a non-level competition; the market will always tilt toward the free version.  If Iso continued running for free, no one was going to switch to Goko.  If Doug had been willing to turn Iso into a pay-to-play site, then maybe we could discuss actual competition, but that really doesn't seem to be his thing.  And in any case, the IP rights are tied up separately.  The book publishing world equivalent would be to suggest that anyone can take a copy of the latest Stephen King novel, package it themselves, and sell or give it away to anyone.  That's not how publishing works.  And game publishing is still publishing.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 05:26:32 am »

If Doug had been willing to turn Iso into a pay-to-play site, then maybe we could discuss actual competition, but that really doesn't seem to be his thing.

But was it ever an option to have iso co-exist with Goko, but behind a Goko paywall? Like, did Goko propose that? From what I've read Dougz was just offered to work for Goko (which he didn't want because he preferred his Google job), and Goko still wanted Iso down no matter what. Now that is a very rotten mindset to me, to force a superior product to close shop even though they could just have let it be and profited from it (I'd easily pay $5-10/month for Iso, and I think many other iso-enthusiasts would as well).

I can rationalize all day long that this is just how stuff works in the publishing world, but that doesn't stop me from experiencing disgust on a primal, emotional level.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 1.64 seconds with 21 queries.