Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goofy idea I'm working on.  (Read 2749 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Goofy idea I'm working on.
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:11:01 am »
+1

I sometimes like to take games and make them into things for other games in my head, and this came from one of those.

Random Quest: This card is not in the Supply.  [Whatever the Knights text says]  Also, add a different pile to the Supply.

Each individual card is different, and behaves like the Knights in that respect.  They all have the following text in common:

$0 Action

+2 Card
+2 Action
---
This card is not in the supply.  You may immediately claim it at any time during your turn if you [X]

[X] varies by card, and has requirements like:
-Have at least 7 cards in your hand
-Have at least $10 available
-Have no cards in your deck or discard
-Have at least 5 actions in play
-Have at least 3 actions available
-Have at least 3 buys available
-Reveal three victory cards from your hand
-Reveal four treasure cards from your hand
-Reveal a hand with no duplicates
-Reveal a card costing $7 or more from your hand

The basic idea is that you have some slightly tricky random requirement, but if you can pull it off, you get a snazzy card for free.

Issues/Questions:

-How should I best handle gaining?  I would rather it be in the Supply, but couldn't find a simple and balanced way to do it.  I don't really want it buyable or gainable, at least not easily.  I did think about making it a regular supply card that's just overpriced- you CAN buy or gain one if you really want to, and it works well for TfB, but it's not something you're likely to fool with if you can't hit the requirement.

-How can I best balance the requirements?  I would like to have requirements that take SOME luck/intentionality to pull off, but not ones that will get "stuck" for the entire game if there is absolutely no way to do it or if it's too hard.  Maybe a way to cycle the pile somehow?

-How should I balance the reward?  I figure +Card/+Action is pretty much always helpful, but it's kinda boring.  Maybe something with VP?  Or I could even personalize it to the requirement (like the big hand one lets you discard for benefit, or the treasures one gives you +buy, stuff like that)

Obviously it needs some polish, but I think it's an interesting idea even if it doesn't turn out to be a good one.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Goofy idea I'm working on.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:49:53 am »

I think the $10 available, no duplicates, reveal a $7+, and the have at least 3 actions/buys are good. Nice idea.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:51:33 am by Morgrim7 »
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:14:45 am »

I sometimes like to take games and make them into things for other games in my head, and this came from one of those.

From this line and the description "Random Quest: {something about Knights}", I thought this was going to be some mashup involving Shadows Over Camelot.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:30 am »

I also like the idea, and I was going to say that it could be worded something like "You may immediately gain it if [X]" until I realised that with a Trader that would let you instantly empty the Silvers. I agree that it needs cycling (otherwise one with a "3 spare Actions / Buys" will get stuck if there are no Villages/+Buys) and I wonder if it should be a Peddler in its effect unless you hope to not have *yet another* Peddler.

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:39:11 pm »

I agree that it needs cycling (otherwise one with a "3 spare Actions / Buys" will get stuck if there are no Villages/+Buys)

You could have a rule like: "Whenever a player gains a Curse, shuffle the Quest pile." So that if you really wanted to get a quest you have no hope of fulfilling off the top of the stack you could use a buy on a curse.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:40:48 pm »

That makes it hard to try and fulfill the current quest; by the time I get close, the pile will probably have shuffled.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:14:08 pm »

"At the start of your turn, you may discard a card to put the top Quest card on the bottom of the pile."

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 07:54:15 pm »

Random Quest: This card is not in the Supply.  [Whatever the Knights text says]  Also, add a different pile to the Supply.

Each individual card is different, and behaves like the Knights in that respect.  They all have the following text in common:

$0 Action

+2 Card
+2 Action
---
This card is not in the supply.  You may immediately claim it at any time during your turn if you [X]

[X] varies by card, and has requirements like:
A-Have at least 7 cards in your hand
B-Have at least $10 available
C-Have no cards in your deck or discard
D-Have at least 5 actions in play
E-Have at least 3 actions available
F-Have at least 3 buys available
G-Reveal three victory cards from your hand
H-Reveal four treasure cards from your hand
I-Reveal a hand with no duplicates
J-Reveal a card costing $7 or more from your hand

The basic idea is that you have some slightly tricky random requirement, but if you can pull it off, you get a snazzy card for free.

Issues/Questions:

-How should I best handle gaining?  I would rather it be in the Supply, but couldn't find a simple and balanced way to do it.  I don't really want it buyable or gainable, at least not easily.  I did think about making it a regular supply card that's just overpriced- you CAN buy or gain one if you really want to, and it works well for TfB, but it's not something you're likely to fool with if you can't hit the requirement.

-How can I best balance the requirements?  I would like to have requirements that take SOME luck/intentionality to pull off, but not ones that will get "stuck" for the entire game if there is absolutely no way to do it or if it's too hard.  Maybe a way to cycle the pile somehow?

-How should I balance the reward?  I figure +Card/+Action is pretty much always helpful, but it's kinda boring.  Maybe something with VP?  Or I could even personalize it to the requirement (like the big hand one lets you discard for benefit, or the treasures one gives you +buy, stuff like that)

Obviously it needs some polish, but I think it's an interesting idea even if it doesn't turn out to be a good one.

This sounds like a great idea, but there are some problems with the individual cards.

First of all, "+2 Cards +2 Actions" would be a $6 card if it were in the supply.  Also note that gaining them does not take a buy, making the option like a card that says "+1 Card, +1 Action, gain a Gold."  This is a super-powerful option.  Now let's consider each of the options and when you could reasonably get them.  I have labeled the cards A through J for clarity.

A: You can gain this turn 3-4 if you buy a Smithy or similar card e.g. Courtyard, Rabble on turn 1-2.
B: This would take a long time to earn; think about when you can usually get Platinum and go a little farther.
C-F: These will usually require you to build your engine up first, so they'll take a while.
G: You can get this on turn 1 or 2 with a 5/2 split.
H: You can always get this on turn 1 or 2.
I: Similar to Menagerie; about the same time to activate.
J: A long time.  I'd say about the same as B when you factor in the time to see the $7+ card after buying it.

The main problem is that some can be gained almost instantly, regardless of the kingdom, but others will take forever.  It will be too swingy; some people will get lucky and gain a power card early, while others won't.  Changing A, B, G, and H seems like a good idea.  The others can be left as is.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:00:15 pm by math »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:56:53 pm »

I don't have any direct advice, but I had a similar concept in the "make an innovation themed card" thread, you can look at that and see if it inspires you at all.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:41 pm »

What if you could always see 3 quests at a time? There is a very small chance that all three would be unachievable.

Also, what about Tournament-ing the card. Have it be a supporter card:

Hero/ $3 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action.
You can claim 1 face-up Quest that you meet the requirements for. Then, player to your left can choose to replace the face-up Quest with a random other Quest from the Quest pile.

Setup: Shuffle the Quest pile and deal 3 face-up.

Quest Achievability:
A-Have at least 7 cards in your hand  -> Hard
B-Have at least $10 available -> Near impossible because it is not your Buy phase. Could be adjusted down to only count virtual $.
C-Have no cards in your deck or discard -> Very Hard
D-Have at least 5 actions in play -> Hard, but at least you have one or more Heroes (If your fourth action is a hero, a savvy player can bury that Quest)
E-Have at least 3 actions available -> Moderate
F-Have at least 3 buys available -> Moderate
G-Reveal three victory cards from your hand -> Moderate-Easy
H-Reveal four treasure cards from your hand -> Too Easy, adjust to 5
I-Reveal a hand with no duplicates -> Moderate
J-Reveal a card costing $7 or more from your hand -> Vary Variable, Moderate?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:50:01 pm »

What if you could always see 3 quests at a time? There is a very small chance that all three would be unachievable.

Also, what about Tournament-ing the card. Have it be a supporter card:

Hero/ $3 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action.
You can claim 1 face-up Quest that you meet the requirements for. Then, player to your left can choose to replace the face-up Quest with a random other Quest from the Quest pile.

Setup: Shuffle the Quest pile and deal 3 face-up.

Quest Achievability:
A-Have at least 7 cards in your hand  -> Hard
B-Have at least $10 available -> Near impossible because it is not your Buy phase. Could be adjusted down to only count virtual $.
C-Have no cards in your deck or discard -> Very Hard
D-Have at least 5 actions in play -> Hard, but at least you have one or more Heroes (If your fourth action is a hero, a savvy player can bury that Quest)
E-Have at least 3 actions available -> Moderate
F-Have at least 3 buys available -> Moderate
G-Reveal three victory cards from your hand -> Moderate-Easy
H-Reveal four treasure cards from your hand -> Too Easy, adjust to 5
I-Reveal a hand with no duplicates -> Moderate
J-Reveal a card costing $7 or more from your hand -> Vary Variable, Moderate?
Now you're getting even closer to the card I made.. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7513.msg215986#msg215986

I just trashed impossible quests from the pile, at the expense of forfeiting a Silver gain.  It could lead to Cityish standoffs but that's not a terrible thing
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:53:04 pm by popsofctown »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.645 seconds with 21 queries.