Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Innkeeper  (Read 4311 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Innkeeper
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:26:21 am »

Innkeeper
Action/Attack - $4
+$2
Each other player reveals the top card of his deck. If it isn't a Lodging, he gains a Lodging from the Lodging pile, putting it on top of his deck

(The revealed card is put back first)

Lodging
Action - 0*
Discard any number of cards from your hand. +1 action for each card you discarded this way.
Return this to the Lodging pile
This card is not in the supply

A Hag now for a Militia later, but there's actions in it, so it can be a benefit sometimes. Don't wait too long though, as it mostly clogs your deck.

The reveal clause means that you can only ever gain one Lodging, but that Lodging will always slow down your cycling.

EDIT: Lodging was originally "discard 2, +2 actions". Innkeeper went through many variations on the top deck attack, first sitting on it's own, then being a copy of sea hag, before settling on the way it's worded.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:01:27 am by NoMoreFun »

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Re: Innkeeper
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59:33 am »

a very interesting interaction but i think the lodging is to much of a pain if you play it because it leaves you with 2 cards instead of 3 from a militia.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:56 am »

KC-KC-Innkeeper-Inkeeper is...awesome.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:50:39 am »

:'( i draw 5 Lodging and what do i draw next turn?
4 of  them  :'(

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:58:48 am »

And they will stay in your deck because if you play them then they will just come back...

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:12:01 am »

And they will stay in your deck because if you play them then they will just come back...
you can at least return 2 of them per turn

ok back to the card . i think its better to trash the lugging then to return them on use and maybe make them that you have to discard until you have 3 cards in hand. and of cours one should avoid a kc-kc-innkeeper lock . u can just use the sea hag machanic for that.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:13:47 am »

you can at least return 2 of them per turn
two, maybe three i guess
EDIT: wait a minute what am i saying? Nvm

Mad, I tell you.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:58 am »

Why not add a Sea Hag clause?

Innkeeper
Action/Attack - $4
+$2
Each other player discards the top card of his deck. Then he gains a Lodging from the Lodging pile and puts it on top of his deck.

I like the idea to give out bad cards that are not part of the supply. Also, very nice to counter with Watchtower, Jack or Library. Maybe Lodging should give +1 Card or make you discard only one, though, as it's much worse than Militia right now. Then and Innkeeper should probably give a better Vanilla Bonus (like +2$, +1 Buy) to make up for it.

EDIT: I see RTT already mentioned the Sea Hag clause.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:09:41 pm by Asper »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 12:23:13 pm »

Innkeeper
Action/Attack - $4
+$2
Each other player discards the top card of his deck. Then he gains a Lodging from the Lodging pile and puts it on top of his deck.

I like the idea to give out bad cards that are not part of the supply. Also, very nice to counter with Watchtower, Jack or Library. Maybe Lodging should give +1 Card or make you discard only one, though, as it's much worse than Militia right now. Then and Innkeeper should probably give a better Vanilla Bonus (like +2$, +1 Buy) to make up for it.

Innkeeper that gives +2$, +1 buy is a way way better Woodcutter that just costs $4 instead of $3.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 01:10:32 pm »

Innkeeper
Action/Attack - $4
+$2

Innkeeper that gives +2$, +1 buy is a way way better Woodcutter that just costs $4 instead of $3.

I don't think that's necessarily a problem. Woodcutter is one of the weakest cards for its price point. I think you could give it a significant boost and still price it at $4.

That being said, I don't think +1 Buy necessarily makes sense on this card.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »

Well Nomad Camp exists. Goons is an attack with the woodcutter ability.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 05:23:32 pm »

I think +buy always synergizes with virtual coin, but maybe there's something that works better with the rest of the card. I can't think of anything that doesn't make it overly complex right now, though. It's not necessary after all, just a suggestion how to possibly balance it more if Lodging was made less horrible (which also was just a suggestion).

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 06:38:13 pm »

A +2 cards, discard 2 for flavor? You draw and discard, your opponents just discard?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 10:10:28 pm »

Alternative for Lodging:

Lodging
Action - $0*
Discard at least one card; +1 action for each card you discard this way.
Return this to the Lodging Pile.

It's at least going to be a Militia effect to get rid of it, but you might be able to turn it to your advantage.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:46:09 pm »

Another card that uses lodging (and a variant of a commonly seen fan card)

Town Planner - $5
Action/Attack
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each player (including you) may reveal a Lodging from his hand. Otherwise he gains a Lodging from the Lodging pile, putting it in his hand.

It's a variant of the commonly seen

+2 Cards
Discard any number of cards. +1 action for each card discarded this way.

Which is too strong for $4, but probably too weak for $5. I make it a solid $5 by giving it a small, urchin style attack and allowing it to be a regular lab when played in multiples.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »

Town Planner - $5
Action/Attack
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each player (including you) may reveal a Lodging from his hand. Otherwise he gains a Lodging from the Lodging pile, putting it in his hand.

Does this mean you can gain Lodgings too? So you're also attacking yourself? If not then it's better than lab in all cases. If so, it's still probably much better, but then again Hunting Party exists, so it would be passable. I like the Lodging/variation on ruins ideas.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 08:06:50 pm »

I keep meaning to ask.  Is Lodging in the Supply?  The asterisk on the price suggests that it isn't, but it doesn't have the standard disclaimer at the bottom.
Well you *do* need a signature...

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 09:58:43 am »

Town Planner - $5
Action/Attack
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Does this mean you can gain Lodgings too? So you're also attacking yourself? If not then it's better than lab in all cases. If so, it's still probably much better, but then again Hunting Party exists, so it would be passable. I like the Lodging/variation on ruins ideas.

You do gain the lodging.

I think to make it more balanced, I'd consider replacing the "+1 action" with "You may play a lodging from your hand", but we're getting a bit too wordy at that point.

Keep in mind though that the attack is strictly worse than Urchin's, and will often help the opponent.

I keep meaning to ask.  Is Lodging in the Supply?  The asterisk on the price suggests that it isn't, but it doesn't have the standard disclaimer at the bottom.

It's not. The idea of this card is in fact a "curse" that threatens to slow you down the entire game, but one that's very easy to get rid of.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.983 seconds with 21 queries.