Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Freezing of the Goko Dominion Online  (Read 10574 times)

Dynuel

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Freezing of the Goko Dominion Online
« on: April 03, 2013, 02:42:55 pm »

Hi, I found some information about the Goko Dominion game freezing for some people but none about why it happens and how to solve it.

The game freezes for me around 1-3 on average (sometimes significantly more) per game. I think it happens pretty much only when my hand is about to be discarded - at the end of my turn. And this is really problematic, especially when playing online with other people. I have even recorded a video of this happening. At the first instance it was unlucky enough to freeze two times in a row, there is also a third example that happened in another game straight after the first one. While it is frozen I can click menus, options and cards and it all seams to respond as normal, just the game stops.

• My computer is rather powerful and should handle it with no problem at all, also monitored my resouces and haven't noticed any jumps in cpu, memory or gpu usage whilest it freezes.
  • I tried it on two different computers, pc and a laptop and it happens on both.
  • I tried four different browsers.
  • I happens on all animation speed settings.
  • I have a very stable internet connection and never experienced any problems with disconnects.

I basicaly have no idea what might cause it.

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing of the Goko Dominion Online
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:10:54 am »

Sorry, I have no fix :( I know your pain! Same problem here...

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:15:46 am »

Get a jacket.

No, really it's probably largely just a problem with Goko. I think it happens to everyone.
Don't think there is much you can do.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:33:09 am »

Krarks_pinky

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 03:11:07 pm »

Goku is unplayable for me at this time, so much freezing. So long, Dominion, you were sorta fun while it lasted.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 03:19:20 pm »
+5

Goku is unplayable for me at this time, so much freezing. So long, Dominion, you were sorta fun while it lasted.

Well, now that you can't watch Dragonball anymore, how about you play on goko?

...Sorry, this is one of the easiest spelling messups that can be made fun of on here...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »

I was going to post about this to GetSatisfaction, but it won't let me log in! So that's great. Screw you, Goko.

If anyone wants to post this report, you have the patience of a saint.

I am frequently kicked out of my games while entering my buy phase. This has happened at the start of games, in the middle of games, and at the end of games. I think it happens about 5% of the time (maybe less), but even one instance is obviously incredibly frustrating. I do something that will trigger my buy phase (either clicking "end actions" or playing treasures) and instead of the buy phase starting, the game "pauses". I can do things that don't advance the game (like look at cards or type in chat [though no messages go through]), but after about 10-15 seconds of this pause, I will be kicked back to the home page and find that I'm logged out. This is incredibly aggravating. I have no idea what my opponents see when this happens. I'm using Firefox 23.0.1, Windows 7.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 01:45:45 pm »

I only get the freezes if I'm having trouble with my internet connection.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:23 pm »

I'm going to come in and be contrary and say that Goko hasn't crashed for me since a few months after the disastrous "launch," and certainly not after the re-launch.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:46:29 am »

Goko has never crashed for me.

Except when my connection died.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 02:10:35 am »

It sometimes freezes for me, but at least 90% of those freezes are because my connection doesn't work. Sometimes it freezes even when other websites work just fine, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:16:26 am »
+1

It sometimes freezes for me, but at least 90% of those freezes are because my connection doesn't work. Sometimes it freezes even when other websites work just fine, though.

And that's the thing - if it's my internet connection, why is Goko the only site to go down?

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:50 am »
+5

Honestly, the thing I want the most from Gokoo is some mechanism to save my game when the connection glitches. Remember how on iso, you could close the browser, open it on another computer, and the game would be there waiting for you?

It astonishes me how one guy in his basement did a better job programming this thing than a team of Goko programmers. *pours one out for iso and DougZ*

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:38:30 am »
+2

And that's the thing - if it's my internet connection, why is Goko the only site to go down?
It could be because Goko has connection to you the whole time. Other sites like dominionstrategy.com has connection only when you click somewhere. I'm not saying that this is not Goko's fault, Goko should handle few second disconnects. I'm just saying that Goko as is needs more reliable connection than other sites.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43:41 am »

First freeze ever for me, and right in the middle of a megaturn that was going to win the game (I literally could have won the game by clicking 9 times, maybe not even that many). Not exactly a freeze--just the whole screen went black so I couldn't play. Egh.

FlyingLemur

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 11:15:39 am »

Hi, I found some information about the Goko Dominion game freezing for some people but none about why it happens and how to solve it.

The game freezes for me around 1-3 on average (sometimes significantly more) per game. I think it happens pretty much only when my hand is about to be discarded - at the end of my turn. And this is really problematic, especially when playing online with other people. I have even recorded a video of this happening. At the first instance it was unlucky enough to freeze two times in a row, there is also a third example that happened in another game straight after the first one. While it is frozen I can click menus, options and cards and it all seams to respond as normal, just the game stops.

• My computer is rather powerful and should handle it with no problem at all, also monitored my resouces and haven't noticed any jumps in cpu, memory or gpu usage whilest it freezes.
  • I tried it on two different computers, pc and a laptop and it happens on both.
  • I tried four different browsers.
  • I happens on all animation speed settings.
  • I have a very stable internet connection and never experienced any problems with disconnects.

I basicaly have no idea what might cause it.

I have the same problem.  I'm using a core i7 Dell w/ 8 GB RAM, running windows 7.  My game will freeze for 10-15 seconds multiple times during a game. It doesn't matter if I use IE or Chrome browsers.

But, at the same time and on the same home network my 2 other computers do not (only tried using Chrome browser).  One PC is a Pentium 4 hyper threaded with 1 GB RAM running win xp.  Other PC is laptop dual core, 8GB RAM, running windows 7.

The difference is the i7 laptop that is experiencing the freezes is my work computer.  It has Kaspersky antivirus running, different than my home computers, and it includes Web Antivirus protection.  I can't disable any part of the Kaspersky antivirus unless I request a password from my company's IT department, which I'm NOT going to do.  I only tried the game at home, not at work, but it's not that important.

So, I recommend you look and see what is similar among your computers and if antivirus / web protection. s/w, try disabling it.

Last, if you do, please let us know your results.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 11:23:54 am »

Honestly, the thing I want the most from Gokoo is some mechanism to save my game when the connection glitches. Remember how on iso, you could close the browser, open it on another computer, and the game would be there waiting for you?

This would seem to be a requirement for a company providing a variety of online games through a common system architecture.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 01:43:13 pm »

This would seem to be a requirement for a company providing a variety of online games through a common system architecture.
It seems as though it ought to be simple to encode the entire game state (including identity) in a unique cookie.  I mean, do you remember the NES games with passwords that served in the absence of a proper saved game?  In the 80s on an 8-bit processor... It's called a hash, people. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.812 seconds with 22 queries.