Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Speculation: Cards that you can spend more on  (Read 26830 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Speculation: Cards that you can spend more on
« on: April 02, 2013, 05:54:37 pm »
+5

If onigame's set generator's data can be believed, we have a small amount of information about Guilds's "get more out of them by paying extra for them" cards. The data for some of the cards lists them as being simultaneously 'Cheap' (cost ≤$4), 'Medium' (cost $5), and 'Expensive' (cost ≥$6). When I first saw that months ago, I thought it was just garbage data. Now that we know about the set's "pay extra" mechanic, it makes sense.

Assuming the data is accurate, here are the specifics:
  • There is a $3 card that is listed as cheap, medium, and expensive. Perhaps you can pay any number of extra coins, gaining a greater effect as the number of coins increases. (Coin tokens?)
  • The other $3 card is listed as both cheap and medium, so perhaps you can pay an extra $2 for a bonus.
  • There is a $5 card that's listed as both cheap and medium. Perhaps you can pay less for a penalty.
  • Most interestingly of all, there is a $4 card that isn't listed as being in any cost bracket. Perhaps you can't buy this card with coins at all.

Of course, there could also be cheap cards that you can pay extra for without them moving into "Medium" territory. There are two $2 cards in the set, after all.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Speculation: Cards that you can spend more on
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:25:14 pm »

Oh hey, I didn't even remember that! What's the full list of what's cheap/medium/expensive, did it get posted here somewhere? I just remember seeing cost lists.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:53:54 pm »

Oh hey, I didn't even remember that! What's the full list of what's cheap/medium/expensive, did it get posted here somewhere? I just remember seeing cost lists.

I didn't post that info earlier because I didn't think it was meaningful. All the cards other than the four I listed just have the one bracket appropriate to their cost. The other $5 cards are 'Medium'. All the $2, $3, and $4 cards are 'Cheap'. There are no $6 cards in the set.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:07:10 am »

Hmm, now I am starting to see how this could be the most complex expansion ever. Sounds quite interesting.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:01:27 am »

Maybe something like this?
Cantrip
$? - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you paid…
$3 for this, +1 Action
$4 for this, +$1
$5 For this, +1 action +$1
$6 or more for this, +1 Card +$1
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:48:19 am »
+2

How would you track that?
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:12 am »

Maybe the cards will be different colors to show how much you paid? Like red is six, green is five, ect.
I dunno.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:37:14 am »

Well, that card is strictly better than bazaar and village, but that sort of thing would be cool!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:02:47 am »

Well, that card is strictly better than bazaar and village
How?

Mad, I tell you.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 09:05:58 am »

well, once bought it isn't better, but say, if village and bazaar were also in the kingdom, they would only be bought for cornucopia variety cards or if the cantrip card ran out. they would be redundant since you can buy this as bazaar or village, or peddler, or a lab with a $1.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:35 am »

There is always gouing to be a reason to buy this, because the $6 affect is unique.

Mad, I tell you.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 09:13:25 am »

Oh, also, if you have $3 and want a village, nothing is keeping you from buying Village instead of Cantrip.

Mad, I tell you.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:34:00 am »

Maybe the cards will be different colors to show how much you paid? Like red is six, green is five, ect.
I dunno.

So would there be more than one pile, one for each color?  I don't think Donald would included so many extra cards for such a small amount of variety.
Well you *do* need a signature...

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »

You could say that you have to pay the same amount each time, I guess. Then you could track it. Or maybe there could be some sort of sticker.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 03:35:35 pm »
+1

I've been trying not to play the crazy-speculation game, but what if:

Guilds cards never enter your deck, but are set aside upon gaining. They give a passive ability (similar to reactions or while-in-play), or an action that can be triggered at any time, but only a limited number of times. Overspending could give you a stronger version or more uses, and these could be marked with coin tokens on the card.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:04 pm »

It seems plausible! Sort of weird, but the idea can probably be balanced right if someobody good (DXV) set their mind to it.

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:59 pm »
+1

Always-in-play cards would be ironic since one of the stated reasons Dominion works the way it does is that cards like that can be hard to keep track of.

A way that Dominion does stand out is, it has a good solution to the tableau problem. You have a game where each turn you play a card, and they have abilities that do things for you. There are four players. After six turns there are 24 cards in play and it's impossible to make sure everything happens that's supposed to. Dominion solves this by hiding your abilities in a deck, so we only have to worry about a few things at a time. I am not sure if too many games are affected by this problem, but I have faced it a bunch, being fond of games where you get lots of abilities.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:54:02 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 04:08:47 pm »

Well, maybe it started that way, but even with the deck things get hard to track. (Mining Village, Band of Misfits, Procession, etc.)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 05:51:03 pm »

Hmm. That small benefit would have to be really small, though, if it is going to last the entire game. Even +1 Action per turn would be like...really good.

Mad, I tell you.

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 06:34:46 pm »

Well, maybe it started that way, but even with the deck things get hard to track. (Mining Village, Band of Misfits, Procession, etc.)

Those are relatively small tracking problems compared to cards that get put it into play early in the game and remain there for until the end, providing effects and abilities that are necessarily not always relevant.

I also just figured that something like tableau cards would probably get a mention in the intro text but maybe not, since they might just be classified as durations with an on-gain ability, neither of which is a new mechanic.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 07:00:17 pm »

Those are relatively small tracking problems compared to cards that get put it into play early in the game and remain there for until the end, providing effects and abilities that are necessarily not always relevant.

I also just figured that something like tableau cards would probably get a mention in the intro text but maybe not, since they might just be classified as durations with an on-gain ability, neither of which is a new mechanic.

I doubt we'll see new Duration cards - this is something Donald X chose to do over more Seaside cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 07:04:47 pm »

So Nomad camp established that top decking a card is worth $1. Maybe we'll see a card that you can pay an extra $1 to top deck it? I mean, with only 13 cards we only need 4-5 "pay more" types of cards in order for it to count as a theme. Think everyone might be over thinking this a little.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 07:39:11 pm »
+2

So Nomad camp established that top decking a card is worth $1
You so... cannot generalize that. Topdecking things like king court or madman might be worth way more. And also don't forget that woodcutter is crappy, and nomad camp is decent.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:41 pm »
+2

A Duchy that top decks itself is totally worth $6.
Well you *do* need a signature...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »

A Duchy that top decks itself is totally worth $6.

A Duchy that topdecks itself is worth $4.  Maybe $2P.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 1.905 seconds with 20 queries.