Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273]  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 345819 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #6800 on: April 17, 2024, 09:33:19 am »

Speaking of things that bother me, it shouldn't be LGBTQ+. "Queer" is already a catch-all; either make it LGBTQ or LGBT+ >:(

The "Q" doesn't always stand for queer (it sometimes stands for questioning) and "queer" is not exactly a catch-all because
  • most of the prominent definitions of "queer" only include people who are not cis and/or not straight and therefore exclude e.g. cishet aros and cishet intersexual people
  • in practice, the reclaimed "queer" is often used as a shorthand for genderqueer
  • it is not entirely uncontroversial that the word has been successfully reclaimed, so the convention is that you shouldn't call other people queer unless they describe themselves as queer

It is redundant with the +, but so are all the other letters in the acronym.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6801 on: April 17, 2024, 09:44:00 am »

FWIW I usually just type LGBT because the + is obviously implied even if people don't type it out, unless I'm responding to someone in which case I copy their spelling, or writing something potentially controversial where it's extra important to signal that I'm one of the Progressives™.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: April 17, 2024, 10:59:18 am »

Speaking of things that bother me, it shouldn't be LGBTQ+. "Queer" is already a catch-all; either make it LGBTQ or LGBT+ >:(

The "Q" doesn't always stand for queer (it sometimes stands for questioning) and "queer" is not exactly a catch-all because
  • most of the prominent definitions of "queer" only include people who are not cis and/or not straight and therefore exclude e.g. cishet aros and cishet intersexual people
  • in practice, the reclaimed "queer" is often used as a shorthand for genderqueer
  • it is not entirely uncontroversial that the word has been successfully reclaimed, so the convention is that you shouldn't call other people queer unless they describe themselves as queer

mhh I suppose. I think then the obvious solution is to just say LGBT+ and leave the Q out of it. Definitely don't wanna exclude aroace people

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6803 on: April 17, 2024, 11:36:05 am »

mhh I suppose. I think then the obvious solution is to just say LGBT+ and leave the Q out of it. Definitely don't wanna exclude aroace people

What makes the Q special though, other than being a more recent and less established addition? "Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, genderqueer plus all the other people who are in this vague category" is not inherently less sensible than the same description without the genderqueer.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6804 on: April 17, 2024, 05:05:04 pm »

https://twitter.com/aronvallinder/status/1779953971295031459
Robert Nozick’s The Nature of Rationality, p. 25

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: April 17, 2024, 05:14:46 pm »

Shelling ;) Although ordinarily I'd say the Shelling point is the first item of the list.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6806 on: April 17, 2024, 05:56:56 pm »

Shelling ;) Although ordinarily I'd say the Shelling point is the first item of the list.

Kant would probably be the Schelling point for most people even if he wasn't the first item because he's the best known by far.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: April 18, 2024, 06:06:54 am »

What makes the Q special though, other than being a more recent and less established addition? "Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, genderqueer plus all the other people who are in this vague category" is not inherently less sensible than the same description without the genderqueer.

Because even if Q is not a perfect container term, it's still mostly a container term, and hence made redundant by the +, no? I mean, sure everything is technically made redundant by + as you point out, but there's more of a reason to explicitly name specific groups than approximate container terms.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6808 on: April 18, 2024, 09:01:37 am »

Because even if Q is not a perfect container term, it's still mostly a container term, and hence made redundant by the +, no? I mean, sure everything is technically made redundant by + as you point out, but there's more of a reason to explicitly name specific groups than approximate container terms.

Q as in genderqueer is not more of a container term than the B.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: April 18, 2024, 10:07:08 am »

Man I'm just realizing that the paper on Function Decision Theory https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.05060 is only published on arxiv. That is absolutely ridiculous; whatever you think about Miri and Eliezer, the FDT paper is a major contribution to game theory; it should be a massive deal in the field. I think even the anti-Miri people, unless they're very stupid, acknowledge it for this paper.

IT'S ALMOST LIKE ACADEMIA ISN'T VERY GOOD AT DETERMINING THE MOST VALUABLE CONTRIBUTIONS AND THE SAME IS HAPPENING WITH EM THEORIES OF CONSCIOUSNESS I MEAN IDK BUT JUST SAYING

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6810 on: April 18, 2024, 10:08:03 am »

I don't buy that. Bisexual is pretty staight-forward, whereas queer I think most people just consider a container, even if there's some asterisks

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: April 18, 2024, 10:14:38 am »

IT'S ALMOST LIKE ACADEMIA ISN'T VERY GOOD AT DETERMINING THE MOST VALUABLE CONTRIBUTIONS AND THE SAME IS HAPPENING WITH EM THEORIES OF CONSCIOUSNESS I MEAN IDK BUT JUST SAYING

And on the other side of the equation, the 1968 paper on Split Brain patients by S.W. Sperry got the nobel prize despite as far as I can tell massively stretching the experimental results and setting the entire field into the wrong direction, thus creating a mess that academia in 2020 still hasn't fully cleaned up

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: April 18, 2024, 10:15:55 am »

Did you guys know that in 1968 papers were not required to publish experimental data? You could just describe your experiments and your conclusions and then hit publish. That paper single-handedly made me 3x as appreciative of modern norms of publishing

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6813 on: April 18, 2024, 12:51:22 pm »

I don't buy that. Bisexual is pretty staight-forward, whereas queer I think most people just consider a container, even if there's some asterisks

Bisexual is a container for people who feel sexual attraction but aren't straight or gay. Genderqueer is a container for people who aren't men or women. I guess there is the difference that genderqueer includes genderless people while bisexual doesn't include aces, but I don't think that's a particularly useful point to draw the line between what counts as a container.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: April 18, 2024, 01:37:51 pm »

Man I'm just realizing that the paper on Function Decision Theory https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.05060 is only published on arxiv. That is absolutely ridiculous; whatever you think about Miri and Eliezer, the FDT paper is a major contribution to game theory; it should be a massive deal in the field. I think even the anti-Miri people, unless they're very stupid, acknowledge it for this paper.

Well, Perelman's proof of the Poincaré conjecture is only published on arxiv. It's not always a question of whether journals will accept it, but also of whether the author wants to submit it to a journal.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: April 18, 2024, 01:45:04 pm »

Did you guys know that in 1968 papers were not required to publish experimental data? You could just describe your experiments and your conclusions and then hit publish. That paper single-handedly made me 3x as appreciative of modern norms of publishing
I kind of get it. In a world without digital storage, where would you even put a massive data set? You can hardly make the paper have like 1000 pages.

Now we can do that, but hardly anyone checks (it's also hardly to find definitive evidence) and lots of data used for research papers is forged. I'm not sure how much modern norms of publishing are an improvement.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: April 18, 2024, 02:10:40 pm »

I think it takes a different kind of person to exaggerate results than to fake them, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6817 on: April 20, 2024, 10:15:45 am »

My WDC 217 submission:

Respawn
$2 Action
Trash a card from your hand. If you do and the player to your left is not on MasN Hub, gain an Action card onto your deck costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: April 22, 2024, 06:45:55 am »

Today I learned that if German poker organizers say they pay in vouchers, this is often just a legal facade and actually they just pay in cash.

Is this the case 50% of the time or 80% or 95%? Not sure about that yet.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: April 25, 2024, 06:04:16 pm »

Got two full houses today, one on the Flop and one on the Turn.

lost my entire stack both times

then I bought in for my last 100€ and an hour later left with 560€

Totally not living in a simulation though this is very normal

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: April 25, 2024, 06:55:35 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: April 26, 2024, 04:42:33 am »

Ukraine aid yay o/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: April 26, 2024, 07:22:32 pm »

smh somehow sounds more how somehow sounds, more than smh
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273]  All

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 20 queries.