Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Charter - A Treasure-Attack  (Read 10086 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
Charter - A Treasure-Attack
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:08:25 pm »

Did somebody try something like this before? Not that it would surprise me.

Charter
6$, Treasure - Attack
2$
When you play this, each other player gains a Copper.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:44:06 pm by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Charter - A Treasure-Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:12:37 pm »
+1

Charter
6$, Treasure - Attack
2$
When you play this, each other player must gain a Copper.

Attacks that consistently give Copper tend not to be a good idea because the number of Coppers in the Supply varies so much with the number of players.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:18:33 pm »

Charter
6$, Treasure - Attack
2$

Attacks that consistently give Copper tend not to be a good idea because the number of Coppers in the Supply varies so much with the number of players.

Hmm, i see what you mean. On the other hand, 6$ is expensive enough to not be played thousands of times. I guess many other attacks don't work with a Treasure, as that would slow down the game a lot...

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:20:18 pm »
+1

Hmm. Adventurers help charters, but being hit by charters makes adventurers shit again.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »
+1

I like it, although I think it might be hard to balance. With good engine, the first player to be able to play 2 or 3 of this consistently will probably bury the rest in Copper, wich is a relentless attack because it never stops and completely clogs up engines, so its not THAT much better than receiving Curses (it may very well be worse, in a board with good engine possibilities, because of the amoun of Copper available for attacking).

Notice that Ambassador also snowballs pretty hard, but it is terminal and requires other cards in hand to work, while this one is pretty automatic and is better than a non-terminal because you cannot draw it dead.

On BM it seems it would be pretty ok, quite comparable to Cache. For terminal drawing BM, it would be pretty good I guess.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:38:41 pm »
+1

Of course it would be much easier to balance if there was a Bane, especially if the bane is more likely to save you the more you allready got hit. I didn't find a good one yet, and as a treasure card Charter asks for something easy and fast... So no "Discard two, draw one, reveal your hand, open the door, get on the floor, everybody do the Dinosaur"...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:11 pm »
+1

Charter
6$, Treasure - Attack
2$

No.  Sorry, but I get irritated when fan cards get attacked for flaws that Donald/Jay have introduced into the game, not the fan.

Base Dominion comes with 50 Coppers, and then Intrigue rules introduced take-it-or-leave-it, pretty unstandardized guidelines to how many treasures to actually play with.  Ideal design for Dominion is more or less to never run out of coppers except in some sort of special case like an infinite loop.  This had to be weighed against the actual practicality of putting 1,000 coppers in a box of base Dominion.

Pretty sure I've heard it reported many a time that playing 4 player Mountebank without Intrigue coppers can consistently drain the Copper pile.  This drastically exacerbates the first player advantage that is already a huge problem in those sort of games.  Interacts-with-copper cards should be held to a 100 Copper standard, or possibly 150 with the release of base cards.  Holding them to "I need to be able to throw this in a box of base and go" standard is not fair.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:33 pm »
+1

I have no idea why I took this so seriously, but sorry.  It is just opinions about fan cards.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 05:01:58 am »
+1

how about a bane if you reveal a hand of 2/3 coppers you are unaffected by the attack.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 05:12:07 am »
+1

how about a bane if you reveal a hand of 2/3 coppers you are unaffected by the attack.
I think this is good for three. With this bane it should cost $5, I believe.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 05:24:23 am »
+1

What about let the duchy to be the bane?

Duchy is the card you can always hope for when you are attacked by a copper giver.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44:00 am »
+1

Duchy is the card you can always hope for when you are attacked by a copper giver.
Nah. Gotta be Copper. Duchy doesnt make any sense.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 10:44:18 am »
+1

The thing is contradictory. If you are going for Duchies, then you WANT the Copper. I would use Copper or maybe Treasures in general, although this points so hard towards BM that I don't really like it (if you have high probability of having many Coppers in hand, then you are definitely not running a smooth engine, MAYBE an HP+X or some Stables thing, but that's it).

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 06:39:30 pm »

In fact i shortly thought about Estates as the bane, but just like soulnet i came to the conclusion that victory-banes are actually contradictory to the card.
I like RTT's idea, but i'm not absolutely sure whether 3 Coppers might not be a bit much. If i attack with Militia, there's almost no chance to escape the attack, except if you only keep Coppers in hand. So what about a reversed version that says "Each other player may reveal a hand with at most 2 cards other than Copper in it. If he does not, he gains a Copper."? Too complicated?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:41:53 pm by Asper »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 09:41:58 pm »
+1

Adding in my two cents, what about a mallitia type attack? Undoes the non terminal thing, doesn't deal with coppers.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 09:50:05 pm »
+1

Adding in my two cents, what about a mallitia type attack? Undoes the non terminal thing, doesn't deal with coppers.
I dont see a problem with it. A Silver with this ability would cost $4?

Mad, I tell you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 10:16:31 pm »
+1

No mallitia is already 4 and terminal. Silver 5 or maybe copper 3 or 4.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 10:17:57 pm »
+1

Probably $5. Besides the fact that there should be no Silver+ for $4, it would be way more powerful than Militia itself that already costs $4.

For $5, it would be hard to amass a lot for terminal draw + BM (or you would need to pass on some Golds, which is terrible for BM). $5 Silver equivalents tend to not be very good for engines, because you probably need to pass on important engine components. But, getting just one of these could be very nice for an engine, to get extra Attack at small cost (less than $1 in treasure, and no consumed action). I like it that seems better for engines than for BM, while being a Treasure.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:52 am »

Militia is okay, but there allready are many of that. Militia, Urchin, Mercenary, Torturer, Goons... Not even counting Cutpurse, Pillage and Ghost Ship here.
Also it's very close to the original, i feel it lacks the bit of "Specialness". I might be wrong, but i'd like the Copper-giving a bit more, as it isn't there nearly as often yet. What do you think about a combination where the discard works as the "bane"?

Charter
5$, Treasure - Attack
When you play this, each other player mit 4 or more cards in hand chooses one: He discards a Copper; or he gains a Copper may discard a Copper. If he does not, he gains a Copper.

Edit: Fixed wording mistake.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:09:51 pm by Asper »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 10:22:54 am »
+1

Militia is okay, but there allready are many of that. Militia, Urchin, Mercenary, Torturer, Goons... Not even counting Cutpurse, Pillage and Ghost Ship here.
Also it's very close to the original, i feel it lacks the bit of "Specialness". I might be wrong, but i'd like the Copper-giving a bit more, as it isn't there nearly as often yet. What do you think about a combination where the discard works as the "bane"?

Charter
5$, Treasure - Attack
When you play this, each other player mit 4 or more cards in hand chooses one: He discards a Copper; or he gains a Copper.
I would almost always choose discard a copper, because l8r in the game I will have no coppers in hand.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 01:08:45 pm »

Ah crap, i did the wording wrong. What i meant is this:

Charter
5$, Treasure - Attack
When you play this, each other player mit 4 or more cards in hand may discard a Copper. If he does not, he gains a Copper.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:10:31 pm by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 01:25:07 pm »
+1

Charter
5$, Treasure - Attack
When you play this, each other player mit 4 or more cards in hand may discard a Copper. If he does not, he gains a Copper.

The wording is a bit ambiguous. If I only have 3 cards in hand, do I gain a Copper, or am I immune to the attack?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 03:04:17 pm »

Charter
5$, Treasure - Attack

The wording is a bit ambiguous. If I only have 3 cards in hand, do I gain a Copper, or am I immune to the attack?

I think as the first sentence only talks about players with 4+ cards, the concurring "he" clearly relates to them. Actually, trying to do a clearer wording led me to the wording above when i didn't notice how it changed the card. Maybe it can be made more clear by connecting the two sentences?

Charter
5$, Treasure - Attack
When you play this, each other player mit 4 or more cards in hand may discard a Copper, gaining a Copper if he does not.

Edit: So yes, with only three cards in hand you are immune.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:14:46 pm by Asper »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »
+1

What $ is it worth?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 01:34:50 am »
+1

Charter
5$, Treasure - Attack

I think as the first sentence only talks about players with 4+ cards, the concurring "he" clearly relates to them. Actually, trying to do a clearer wording led me to the wording above when i didn't notice how it changed the card. Maybe it can be made more clear by connecting the two sentences?

Charter
5$, Treasure - Attack
When you play this, each other player mit 4 or more cards in hand may discard a Copper, gaining a Copper if he does not.

Edit: So yes, with only three cards in hand you are immune.

I see no reason to limit it to players with 4 or more cards in hand... That seems to only make sense on cards that make you discard. Why should you be immune to this attack just because you were militiad earlier?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.123 seconds with 21 queries.