Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko Store Math: A twisted story of deceit and misincentives  (Read 4554 times)

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Goko Store Math: A twisted story of deceit and misincentives
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:44:42 am »
+1

I don't think anyone has posted a similar topic, sorry if I missed it in search.

So, you've decided to buy the online dominion cards. You spent ~$45 to get 540 gokoins, and are eyeing the megapack, which is very conveniently priced at - wait for it - 540. But, as some posters have alluded to, it's a trap! (insert amusing star wars meme here)

Some set-covering math has revealed the best way to buy your cards:

• Intrigue at 70
  • Seaside at 70
  • Prosperity at 70
  • Super Pack 2 at 140, covers the next 3 expansions
  • Dark Ages at 110

Total cost, 460. So, you should not buy Super Pack 1 as far as I can tell, and it just flat out lies to you about saving 15%. You SHOULD buy Super Pack 2, but it doesn't save you 10%. And then get Dark Ages.

If you buy the Megapack, you get coins and zaps. Yay. 10 zaps and 735 coins. 10 zaps cost 700 coins (not gokoins), so you are getting 1435 coins. That's 'worth' about $10. For which you pay 80 gokoins. You can pay $7 to just buy 70 gokoins. And anyway, who's buying coins? It's not like the adventures are fun after you play the same thing 30 times in a row. At least the campaign mode of the slightlymagic.net implementation was interesting.

Summary: Goko takes your money and lies to you about how best to spend it. The honest best way to spend it is to buy some expansions individually, and one superpack. Because that's not confusing at all.  :o
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:45:48 am by DsnowMan »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Store Math: A twisted story of deceit and misincentives
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:46:49 am »
+1

After various complaints Goko has now announced to fix this by increasing the prices of the expansions on their own. So if you want to buy the sets, better do it now.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:06:43 am »

I can't log onto Goko right now (slow internet) - is there a way to buy 460 Gokoins that costs less than $45? Or are you stuck with buying 540 Gokoins anyway, because of the stupid conversion?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:09:42 am »
+1

you can buy the 20$ pack with 230 gokoins twice, which is exactly the 460 needed.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:10:22 am »

What you really want is 460 Gokoins plus whatever they're going to charge for Guilds. Presumably that's 40 Gokoins, but if prices are going up then all bets are off.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:09:17 pm »
+3

This should not be a surprise. There is exactly one reason for an online vendor to transact business in units of account that aren't USD or EUR or another real currency. It's to draw the consumer into an unfamiliar funhouse-mirror world where their marketing gnomes and pet behavioral economists can distort and confuse your perceptions and get you to waste money on things you don't want or understand. In my eyes, it's a disreputable business practice, and I avoid patronizing companies that employ it wherever possible.  >:(

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »

This should not be a surprise. There is exactly one reason for an online vendor to transact business in units of account that aren't USD or EUR or another real currency. It's to draw the consumer into an unfamiliar funhouse-mirror world where their marketing gnomes and pet behavioral economists can distort and confuse your perceptions and get you to waste money on things you don't want or understand. In my eyes, it's a disreputable business practice, and I avoid patronizing companies that employ it wherever possible.  >:(
That's not true (that it's the only reason)- there is another reason, and that's in that they can sell their funky currency in amounts that persuade you to buy more of their product - same idea as buying in bulk in general.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:35:55 pm »
+8

So, you've decided to buy the online dominion cards. You spent ~$45 to get 540 gokoins, and are eyeing the megapack, which is very conveniently priced at - wait for it - 540. But, as some posters have alluded to, it's a trap! (insert amusing star wars meme here)

Oh, wait, you said an amusing meme.  My bad. :-[

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:37:32 am »

That's not true (that it's the only reason)- there is another reason, and that's in that they can sell their funky currency in amounts that persuade you to buy more of their product - same idea as buying in bulk in general.

You say "persuade," but I feel like you really mean "distort and confuse your perceptions." A company like Goko can offer any kind of bundles or discounting mechanism they want in USD. They use Gokobux to "persuade" the consumer that these deals are more attractive than they truly are.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »

Didn't the Mega Pack (containing all expansions) used to cost 450 Gokoins?
That is what I purchased, and only bought two $20 blocks of 230 Gokoins and still have 10 Gokoins left over in my account.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 12:59:28 pm »

It did, they increased the prices and failed at doing so properly.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 01:13:04 pm »

You say "persuade," but I feel like you really mean "distort and confuse your perceptions." A company like Goko can offer any kind of bundles or discounting mechanism they want in USD. They use Gokobux to "persuade" the consumer that these deals are more attractive than they truly are.
Not really. I mean, in order to get deal X, you have to pay for 20 'extra' gokoins, which then entices you to get other stuff from them. Of course, I'm not saying this is a good idea in general, only that it's a different reason.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.