Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Royal Decree  (Read 4659 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Royal Decree
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:18:00 pm »

Royal Decree
$2 Action

You may put your deck into your discard pile.  Look through your discard pile.  You may choose an Action card from your discard pile.  Play it.  Trash it.
Well you *do* need a signature...

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Decree
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 01:50:04 pm »

Fortress is the only major problem I can think of. Procession Fortress is already completely hax, but is mitigated by needing to get them to line up. Here as long as they aren't already in your hand you get +2 cards +3 actions from a two.

Is it so broken that the game is unplayable with both in the kingdom? Probably not. But it still would be a devastatingly dominating combo.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »
+1

It's probably just my bias talking, but might it be better if the Decree was trashed instead?

EDIT: I meant instead of the card being played by Royal Decree, in case that wasn't clear.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:13:36 pm by LastFootnote »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:13:54 am »

Fortress is the only major problem I can think of. Procession Fortress is already completely hax, but is mitigated by needing to get them to line up. Here as long as they aren't already in your hand you get +2 cards +3 actions from a two.

Is it so broken that the game is unplayable with both in the kingdom? Probably not. But it still would be a devastatingly dominating combo.

Sure it would. But sometimes things like that just happen. Fortress' trashing-ability allready has very strong interaction with a lot of cards, and you wouldn't say Procession is problematic, only because of Fortress.

In any other case than on a Fortress board, i'm actually concerned how useful this actually is. You need to buy a 2$ card so you are able to play a better card, and only once. Doesn't sound that attractive to me. Maybe if it had a "when you gain this, put it on top of your deck" clause. Then i could accept that sometimes you'll buy a Royal Decree just because you are in desperate need to play X again before the time runs out.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:15:09 am by Asper »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:26:49 am »

+2 cards +3 actions is not dominating. It is powerful, but it doesn't win games alone; you still need a strategy in addition to Royal Decree/Fortress.

EDIT: 123/234  8)

EDIT 2: I like how this interacts with Ruins.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:31:44 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:27:22 am »

Old Royal Decree targets:
   Actions you are about to never want to use again:
      Sea Hag, Witch, Lookout, Trading Post, Forge, Duchess, Ruins, Necropolis, Secret Chamber, Marauder, Cultist, Rats, Swindler?, One-shots like Feast (Island might work?)
   Actions that like getting trashed, especially when you don't have the opportunity to play them:
      Cultist, Rats, Fortress, Squire, Catacombs, Hunting Grounds, Sir Vander, Anything that could be a Rogue or Gravedigger target latter in the turn.
   Extremely late game situations when having an action for the next reshuffle is less important.
  Regular Late game when you need certain actions to line up, especially if some of them are terminal.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:31:50 am »

I think its a little weak. Maybe give it some vanilla benefit? Or add a remodel clause and increase the cost?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 06:26:09 pm »

Fortress is kinda sorta broken on purpose.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 06:35:29 pm »

Fortress is kinda sorta broken on purpose.

This is a fair point.  If Bishop hadn't been published and someone suggested it as a fan card now, someone would surely point out the Bishop/Fortress deck which nets at least 12 VP per turn in perpetuity (not advancing the game state), and dismiss Bishop as broken.  Royal Decree + Fortress is quite strong, but probably less dominating than Bishop + Fortress.

Edit:  As further defense.  Yes, when both Fortress and Royal Decree is present, Royal Decree is pretty strong.  But it doesn't win the game by itself, rather it is an exceptional engine enabler.  And you know, that sounds like it would lead to some fun games in the those relatively rare situations that both are available along side a nice engine.

Second Edit:  And as I think about it more, it's not quite fair to say that it's +2 cards, +3 actions for $2.  You need to have that $4 Fortress too.  And if you play 2 Royal Decrees in one turn, then you need two Fortresses (out of hand) to perform this twice, so it's not as though you can just draw your whole deck with a stack of Royal Decrees the way you could with a stack of single-pile-empty Cities or with a stack of Labs.  And really, it's that mind boggling stacked draw paired with limitless actions which makes it appear so broken in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:52:24 pm by SirPeebles »

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:32 pm »

Bishop doesn't pull fortresses out of your draw/discard pile.

Like I said, it doesn't break the game to an unplayable state. But I think it would be the most powerful fortress combo.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 03:19:29 am »

Like I said, it doesn't break the game to an unplayable state. But I think it would be the most powerful fortress combo.
No, it wouldn't. This doesn't win games on its own, Bishop/Fortress does. You need something like Goons or Bridge in the kingdom and then Royal Decree/Fortress is really powerful, but if you don't have any terminal actions that you want to spam, this is only a little better than a simple Lab engine and worse than 1-pile Cities.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 03:57:34 am »

No, it wouldn't. This doesn't win games on its own, Bishop/Fortress does. You need something like Goons or Bridge in the kingdom and then Royal Decree/Fortress is really powerful, but if you don't have any terminal actions that you want to spam, this is only a little better than a simple Lab engine and worse than 1-pile Cities.

Yeah, Bishop/Fortress is a much stronger combo for sheer points potential.  And I would also rank Bishop/Procession above this, because it gives up to +5 actions, +3 cards and gain a free $5 action.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 04:40:40 am »

And I would also rank Bishop/Procession above this, because it gives up to +5 actions, +3 cards and gain a free $5 action.
Really? I thought it gives +$2, +2VP, lets you trash two cards for VP and upgrades your Bishop.  :P

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 09:47:13 am »
+1

Bishop doesn't literally pull a Fortress out of your deck, but four Bishops will quickly trash away everything but the Fortresses, so you'd have no need to hunt one down.  You also never need to bother with those pesky green cards.

In other words, I'm not talking about a casual Bishop/Fortress combo supplementing ones engine for the occasional 3VP, but rather the well documented Bishop/Fortress golden deck which takes the "hax" to their logical extreme.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 11:49:29 am »

And I would also rank Bishop/Procession above this, because it gives up to +5 actions, +3 cards and gain a free $5 action.
Really? I thought it gives +$2, +2VP, lets you trash two cards for VP and upgrades your Bishop.  :P

Err, Proc-Fortess.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.548 seconds with 21 queries.