Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do you play Possession + heavy trashing?  (Read 2007 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
How do you play Possession + heavy trashing?
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:44:32 pm »
+4

Is this kind of game just broken?

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150618/log.50fd569ae4b0f82020d83fac.1434660239922.txt

jaybeez just resigned here, to spare us both from the misery to come. The best play for both of us at this point seems to be to do nothing. We were actually joking that we would play until we starve to death.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
Re: How do you play Possession + heavy trashing?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 08:43:38 pm »
+4

Great minds think alike: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13454.0

As I said, starving to death is the official ruling.  I had to resign or face my demise!

I had a similar (but more interesting) game with Monsieur X about a week ago, the log seems to have never been recorded or whatever.  But that game had Governor, Spice Merchant and Possession (and no +actions) and was also really degenerate because of how Possession totally warps how Governor's "penalties" play out.  I got to a point where I couldn't gain any Golds because I was just going to get Possessed the next turn anyway, because we could both use Governor's draw with impunity to be sure to play Possession every turn no matter what (we had both thinned with Spice Merchants enough to do that easily).  I really wish I had the log because I feel like I'm not describing it well, but it was such a yucky game.

That game and this game I just played with Jeebus are like perfect distillations of what's wrong with Possession.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 09:27:30 pm »

So without studying the log in too much detail, wouldn't the smart play be to start buying estates or any points whenever you can? You have enough other stuff in your deck that you should still be able to play your possessions. Just get whatever points you can, while making your opponent's possession turns not as good.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 09:23:35 am »

So without studying the log in too much detail, wouldn't the smart play be to start buying estates or any points whenever you can? You have enough other stuff in your deck that you should still be able to play your possessions. Just get whatever points you can, while making your opponent's possession turns not as good.
How do you aim to sustain that, though? Buying estates threatens to break the 1-possession-per-turn pin, and kills your chances at ever building a decent deck, which I suspect would give your opponent the chance to just build and win.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:17:27 am »

Yeah, just buying Estates with those decks would not work.

I was thinking how I would play this. My deck produces $3+P. I guess I would start by buying Alchemists. Jaybeez could do the same, buying one every turn with my deck, without making his deck useful for me. I would get 6 Alchemist and he would get 4. Because he didn't keep his Potion, his deck could potentially fail to draw itself sooner that mine. I could then buy a Silver, which means I could start buying Cities. If he did the same (with my deck), we would split the Cities. But at some point someone could start buying Duchies instead. If he started buying Duchies too soon, his deck would soon stall. Also, if the Duchies run out first, Cities start producing $, meaning my Possessions could buy something with his deck if he has some Cities. Let's say he buys a couple of Cities - by that time I would have three - before switching to Duchies. We both buy a Duchy a turn, splitting them 4 each. Now his deck produces $2 and mine produces $8 (two buys). We could switch to Provinces and Estates. I could buy a Province and two Estates each turn, he could only buy a Province and one Estate. Maybe if he had kept his Potion, he could keep from stalling. Potentially with all that green any of us could stall at some point though, especially if we didn't draw our Potion. I don't know if going for Estates with the Provinces would be that smart. Maybe for him, since that's his only shot.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.572 seconds with 21 queries.