Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Your favourite selfmade cards  (Read 5792 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Your favourite selfmade cards
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:51:32 pm »
+1

So yeah, post your favourite fan card made by yourself. Write a little bit about it and about why it's your favourite. I'm curious. Also note that this thread is not prior about critizising the cards, but to share what you like. If you don't make cards yourself, you can also post the card of somebody else that you think is amazing (we're talking about the card, here :P). I'll just go first with my own current favourite:

Dwarf
2$, Action
+ 1 Action
Discard the top card of your deck.
Look at the bottom card of your deck. You may put it in your hand. You may put a card from your hand to the bottom of your deck.

(It's a "small" counter to top-decking attacks. It also speeds up cycling a tiny bit and can sometimes act like some kind of Native Village, but only for one card. Also interacts with Pearl Diver, another 2$. I like it because i have a weak spot for weak/cheap cards and because it's thematic, i think. Also i imagine that you could do some cute, probably not overly useful tricks with this. Also because, well, Dwarfs.)

If we reach at least 10 cards, i'd like to do a playtesting game with them as the kingdom. I'll post a bit about my experiences with that game then, too.

EDIT: Dwarf gives an action, of course :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:56:44 pm by Asper »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite selfmade cards
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:01:00 pm »
+1

I like my griffin.
$5
Treasure
Worth $0
Reveal you hand. Worth $1 more per victory card revealed.
--
Once per turn, if you buy a victory card, +1 buy, +$1.
--
When you discard this from play, if you bought at least two victory cards this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

I like it because it makes the "turn victory cards into copper" fan card thing, makes it good, and adds a few more bonuses. It has those bonuses because it has to compete with duchy in the end game, and top decking so you see it more than once or twice.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:06:47 pm »
+1

Mill
Cost: 6$
Victory
At the end of the game, count the number of mills still in the supply pile.
Mill is worth 1 VP per mill remaining.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:14:18 pm »
+1

Old one of mine, but still my favorite:

Hunter
Cost: 3$
Action

+1 Action

Look at the top three cards of your deck. Choose one to put into your hand. Discard the rest.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:25 pm »
+1

Philanthropist
Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one; you also follow the instructions in parentheses:
Each player gains a Copper (in hand), or a Silver (on top of your deck), or a Gold (on the bottom of your deck)

I like how with a very subtle change in positoning, something that would otherwise be a wash turns into a unique card worth playing. I also had the following similar

Benefactor
Action - $2
Choose one:
Each player gains a Copper, putting it on top of his deck; Each player gains a Silver; Each player gains a Gold in hand
Put any cards you gained this way into your hand

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:37:49 am »
+1

I would have a hard time choosing between Aqua Vitae and Crystal Ball, from the mini-set design contest.  I should take some time and make images for the other cards...

Aqua Vitae
$4P - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Copper and Potion each produce an extra $1 this turn.

It's pretty neat when you execute a successful Coppersmith strategy, playing out a bunch of Copper for massive coinage.  The goal with AV was to make it a viable strategy more often, sort of like what Highway is to Bridge.  Since it is a cantrip, AV is much easier to chain.  Because it is so strong when stacked, a potion cost is a nice little gate.  There is a bit of anti-synergy in that it is harder to chain actions if your deck is still full of Coppers and Potions, but that's just something you have to work around (and AV buffing Potion itself helps a bit).  It combos wonderfully with Apothecary.  So yeah!

Crystal Ball
$5 - Treasure-Reaction

Worth $2
When you play this, reveal the top card of your deck and either discard it or put it back.
--
When you discard this other than from play, you may reveal it and set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, play this card.

I have a soft spot for Silver+ cards.  CB has a mini-Spy effect (which grants it some self-synergy, not to mention thematic coherence) and a unique reaction.  Note: it is unique in that it hasn't yet been used in official cards.  Qvist independently came up with almost the same concept (reaction to being discarded) and his excellent entry came second in that contest.

My take on it gives it a few different uses.  Besides being an ideal card to discard (e.g. to Warehouse, Embassy, whatever), it also allows for it to self-Haven.  This is because its effect will trigger when discarding it in the clean-up phase, if you kept it in your hand.

Also, I'm pretty happy with how the art came out.  I spent more time than I should have photoshopping that orb.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:38:47 am »
+1

I liked how Credit ended up with the help of the community:

Credit - Treasure - $1
$1
--------------------
While this is in play, you may not buy a Treasure.
--------------------
When you buy this, + 1 $, + 1 buy, and play this immediately.

For those who haven't seen the topic or don't immediately understand what this card is about: It's a way to buy more expensive cards if you come just a $ short. It's a Treasure costing $1 which gives you +$2 the first time you play it for a net result of +$1, so you can turn $7 into $8. Of course the drawback is that you end up with an extra Copper in your deck which can't be Upgraded into nothingness.

In light of Guilds which has "overpaying" as a theme I especially like my "underpaying" idea.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:19:25 am »
+1

I would have a hard time choosing between Aqua Vitae and Crystal Ball, from the mini-set design contest.  I should take some time and make images for the other cards...

Aqua Vitae
$4P - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Copper and Potion each produce an extra $1 this turn.

It's pretty neat when you execute a successful Coppersmith strategy, playing out a bunch of Copper for massive coinage.  The goal with AV was to make it a viable strategy more often, sort of like what Highway is to Bridge.  Since it is a cantrip, AV is much easier to chain.  Because it is so strong when stacked, a potion cost is a nice little gate.  There is a bit of anti-synergy in that it is harder to chain actions if your deck is still full of Coppers and Potions, but that's just something you have to work around (and AV buffing Potion itself helps a bit).  It combos wonderfully with Apothecary.  So yeah!

Crystal Ball
$5 - Treasure-Reaction

Worth $2
When you play this, reveal the top card of your deck and either discard it or put it back.
--
When you discard this other than from play, you may reveal it and set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, play this card.

I have a soft spot for Silver+ cards.  CB has a mini-Spy effect (which grants it some self-synergy, not to mention thematic coherence) and a unique reaction.  Note: it is unique in that it hasn't yet been used in official cards.  Qvist independently came up with almost the same concept (reaction to being discarded) and his excellent entry came second in that contest.

My take on it gives it a few different uses.  Besides being an ideal card to discard (e.g. to Warehouse, Embassy, whatever), it also allows for it to self-Haven.  This is because its effect will trigger when discarding it in the clean-up phase, if you kept it in your hand.

Also, I'm pretty happy with how the art came out.  I spent more time than I should have photoshopping that orb.

I'd say Crystal Ball for sure. I'd forgotten it existed when I made a similar card, Vendor.

Vendor
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $5
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

When you discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may set it aside. If you do, put it into your hand at the start of your next turn.

They'll obviously play very differently, but the main mechanic is similar.

On topic (sort of), Harbinger is my favorite of your cards. It could easily create too much AP, but it's a very cool concept.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:24:52 am »

On topic (sort of), Harbinger is my favorite of your cards. It could easily create too much AP, but it's a very cool concept.

Can you add the cards description? I don't know it yet :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 10:39:31 am »
+1

Can you add the cards description? I don't know it yet :)

Harbinger
Types: Action
+1 Action. Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. The player to your left separates them into two piles. Choose one pile to discard and draw the rest.

I've not playtested it, but I really like the concept. It's a very clever non-Attack interaction.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:32 am »

Harbinger is my last favourite because I found out afterwards that it had been done almost exactly in Magic! :P

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51:19 am »

Harbinger is my last favourite because I found out afterwards that it had been done almost exactly in Magic! :P

I guess that doesn't bother me. If it makes for an interesting Dominion card, I don't care if the concept has been used in another game.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 10:55:17 am »

I guess that doesn't bother me. If it makes for an interesting Dominion card, I don't care if the concept has been used in another game.

Yeah, but it was just too similar imo. If I'd known about the magic card I would have flipped it around. You split the pile, opponent chooses what you get.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:32 am »

I agree eHalc, you've made a lot of better cards than Harbinger. :P

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 11:00:07 am »

Yeah, but it was just too similar imo. If I'd known about the magic card I would have flipped it around. You split the pile, opponent chooses what you get.

Nah, that version has issues. See, you know what's in your hand and therefore have a good idea of what you want to draw. So you're incentivized to make the pile with the card you want look bad so that your opponent will pick it. I think the mind games would create too much AP.

On another note, why did you decide to have Crystal Ball play itself on your next turn, rather than return it to your hand? It seems like it would be simpler the other way.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 11:10:00 am »

Nah, that version has issues. See, you know what's in your hand and therefore have a good idea of what you want to draw. So you're incentivized to make the pile with the card you want look bad so that your opponent will pick it. I think the mind games would create too much AP.

On another note, why did you decide to have Crystal Ball play itself on your next turn, rather than return it to your hand? It seems like it would be simpler the other way.

I wanted to keep the self-haven trick by discarding it from your hand in the cleanup phase. If it returned to your hand, then you could do it indefinitely. So playing it directly was to nerf it a bit.

I don't remember if I actually had that in mind when I made it, but that's a reason why I wouldn't change it now.

This thread is now reminiscing about the mini-set design contest.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:55 am »
+2

When I read Crystal Ball all those months back, I didn't realize that it was set aside if discarded from your hand during clean-up.  I suppose I just read "except when discarded from play" as "except when discarded during clean up".
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 11:30:57 am »

When I read Crystal Ball all those months back, I didn't realize that it was set aside if discarded from your hand during clean-up.  I suppose I just read "except when discarded from play" as "except when discarded during clean up".

Ha! Likewise, I didn't even see that just now! I also assumed it was "except when discarded during clean up". That does change things.

Thanks for pointing that out, Peebles.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 11:38:55 am »

I disagree. This thread is discussing favorite fan cards, some of which happen to be winners in the mini-set design contest.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 11:45:59 am »
+1

I disagree. This thread is discussing favorite fan cards, some of which happen to be winners in the mini-set design contest.

I was just joking. :)

One of my favourites was Mecherath's Deed, from the alt treasure contest. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 12:05:25 pm »
+1

One of my favourites was Mecherath's Deed, from the alt treasure contest.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Er, I mean, could you post that card here so that I don't have to go hunting through the Mini-Set Design forum?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

Deed
Types: Treasure – Reaction
Worth $2

When you gain a Victory card, you may discard this from your hand.  If you do, +2 VP.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:10:18 pm by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 12:24:43 pm »

Sorry, I was on my phone!

#4 (tie) - Deed (1) by Mecherath with 10 points (Diamond)
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When you gain a victory card, you may discard this from your hand.  If you do, +2 VP.

I just wanted to say that I really liked this entry.  It is something of a game changer, but not in a game-breaking way.  It lets you get a "Duchy" by buying Estate (possibly at a slightly discount, since you only needed to have $4, including Deed).  It lets you get an almost-Province by buying Duchy with $7.  It would have a big effect on PPR and would also do interesting things for alt VP strategies.

Someone commented that it was weird how Diamond/Deed wasn't getting heat for using VP tokens when others did.  The reason is that this card won't put you into a "game won't end" situation, since it only grants VP when you buy VP.  Very elegant.

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 01:24:29 pm »
+1

i've never really been great with designing cards but i do like these two:

Mob, $2, Action
+1 Card
+$1
If you have Mob in play, this does not take an action to play.

simple card in design and works well with any kind of deck. these get bought out really quick for best effect, yet it doesn't feel overpowered.

Heirloom, $4, Treasure
Worth $2
When you gain this card, set it aside.
At the beginning of any of your future Buy Phases, you may put this card into play. At the end of Clean-up, trash it.

a one time use of Silver when you most want it, and it doesn't clog your deck.

i also remember a card from not long ago on this forum that i thought was pretty neat - Powder Keg.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »
+3

I just played a game with those first 10 cards you guys posted, and it was... interesting. Most noticeably, 5 out of the first ten of your favourite cards were treasures.

Kingdom: Credit, Dwarf, Hunter, Philantropist, Heirloom, Griffin, Crystal Ball, Harbinger, Deed, Mill.

I am a mediocre player, but here's what my experiences were:
Philantropist and Dwarf made an interesting team, as Dwarf draws the Gold Philantropist puts on the bottom of the deck.
Heirloom was very strong, and opening with it turned out a good move. It didn't actually make Credit less interesting, but i must admit that all those Treasures were a bit confusing first, so probably i didn't use both cards at their full power.
Credit became a little of an liability later on, especially in a game with so many treasures - but other players Philantropists made up a bit for that.
Mill was worth 6 at the end of the game, and everybody bought exactly 2 (3 player game). I liked how you want to stop buying them on your own, because you knew that would actually make you have less points.
Griffin made it possible to do several turns where you buy Duchy/Estate, and the combo doesn't break that easily. One Griffin usually was enough to earn a lot of points.
I can't say anything bad about Hunter, it worked nicely as a filterer. It also was good at triggering Crystal Ball. I didn't get the chance to play that one very often, but when i did it was obvious that 5$ is not too much for it.
Harbinger was also quite strong, but that too might have to do with Philantropists Gold-giving. Almost always i would turn up such a Gold and have to choose between 2 Coppers/Action card and Gold.
Deed might be a bit too strong, but i can't say all too much, as i didn't play it excessively. With only another Silver in hand i guess it was better than a Gold, and it also worked nicely with Griffin.

If anybody wanted a playtest for his favourite, here you go ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:24:31 pm by Asper »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »
+1

I actually like how Credit becomes a liability. My fear was that it would be too overpowered initially, but the way it ended up makes it pretty balanced. Some €5 and €6 cards are so strong (Mountebank, Goons etc) that missing them on a shuffle with €4 & €4 vs €5 & €3 is normally a pretty big swing. With Credit you can still get that power card just as well with a slight handicap later. My thinking was that it might give you a better fighting chance. A deck with Mountebank and Credit has a better shot against MB/Silver than Silver/Silver perhaps.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.556 seconds with 21 queries.