Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A problem, as I see it  (Read 2623 times)

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
A problem, as I see it
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:37:54 am »

On another thread, I made a comment that ruffled some feathers. It was something to the tune of, "All achievements are 1/6 of a win."  Not long after, as I figured would happen, someone posted a reply to the tune of, "Is that like saying in Dominion, all provinces are...?"

I still play Dominion tabletop.  I also have a tabletop copy of Inno since I started playing that as Iso.  I wish the old Dominion guard could resist the temptation to compare Inno to Dominion.  They really are two different games, and particularly in terms of strategy, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I think Inno is a great game.  I think Dominion is still a great game.  But the one thing I like even more than playing games is learning new ones, and it pains me to think that anyone's Dominion experience, in any way shape or form, may be sullying their enjoyment of Inno.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: A problem, as I see it
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:41:09 pm »
+1

I'm not sure what the problem is?  Metaphors and analogies are a good way to learn new things.  As Dominion players learning Innovation, it makes sense that we would sometimes use Dominion metaphors to try to understand Innovation strategy.  Just because someone brings up Dominion doesn't mean that it is "sullying their enjoyment of Inno".

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:24:01 pm »

I'm not sure what the problem is?  Metaphors and analogies are a good way to learn new things.  As Dominion players learning Innovation, it makes sense that we would sometimes use Dominion metaphors to try to understand Innovation strategy.  Just because someone brings up Dominion doesn't mean that it is "sullying their enjoyment of Inno".

No, that's not the case in every instance.  But when I make the observation that early achievements are worth just as much as later ones, and someone cites Dominion ("Are early provinces worth the same as later ones when you clog your deck?") as a reason my inno strategy is flawed, it sure sullies my enjoyment of both games.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:29:15 pm »

When I read that statement, I did not think it was a criticism of your strategy but rather a player trying to understand what others were saying regarding achieving early vs. building up your board.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:45:25 pm »
+3

I don't know if this is directed toward a comment I made, but I have made some comparisons between the games in terms of strategy. I don't mean to sully anyone's enjoyment of either game, but I do think it's relevant (and uselful) to compare strategic insights across basically all strategy games.

Dominion is an obvious choice since everyone here knows Dominion, but one could make similar analogies to Chess, Starcraft, MtG, Bridge, Risk, Go, or whatever. There is a general idea in most good strategy games about trading off different kinds of advantages (score for board/deck contents, material for position). The tradeoff is not the same in every game as the actual details are different, but I think it helps to bring back these concepts and think about how they apply to any strategy game.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:17:19 pm »
+2

No, that's not the case in every instance.  But when I make the observation that early achievements are worth just as much as later ones, and someone cites Dominion ("Are early provinces worth the same as later ones when you clog your deck?") as a reason my inno strategy is flawed, it sure sullies my enjoyment of both games.

Haha, wait was this MY question?!

And a throwaway QUESTION from someone asking for clarification on how something works is taken as criticism and sullies your enjoyment of games? WOW. Just WOW

"I wish the old Dominion guard could resist the temptation to compare Inno to Dominion. "
Guys guys, im Dominion Old Guard! Cool, does this mean I get to make Youtube videos now?

"On another thread, I made a comment that ruffled some feathers. It was something to the tune of, "All achievements are 1/6 of a win."  Not long after, as I figured would happen, someone posted a reply to the tune of, "Is that like saying in Dominion, all provinces are...?""

If you think you I made that comment because you 'ruffled my feathers' (Sounds a little bit naughty to me!) then you couldnt be further off base!

It looks like you wanted to make a point and are shoehorning my little comment into it to make you point!

Permission denied I am afraid Sir!

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:30 pm »
+1

Also:  A throwaway question... from Ozle.  Man.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.