Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: I'm bored :/  (Read 11488 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: I'm bored :/
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 10:39:55 am »

Flash Forward had potential, but I didn't like what they did with the show. It had that weird cause-and-effect problem that plagues time-travel movies. Because someone saw something, he made it happen. I mean, it doesn't quite rape time-space like Doctor Who, but it also was trying to take the concept seriously, which usually makes it fall flat.

I was disappointed that they never addressed life insurance. People were free to cancel their policy for 6 months. Anyone who didn't (or suddenly applied) likely were dead in the next 6 months. The financial ramifications of that would have been interesting, but I guess it's not as exciting as exploding a toy factory.

I thought the first season of Heroes was phenomenal. It really delved into how people react to these newfound powers. Subsequent seasons weren't as good, but I still enjoyed/tolerated them. Surprisingly enough, I found myself more interested in the carnival. That villain was powerful in a Magneto sense. But I think that they tried too hard to jack around with the mythology and history of the series. I understand the writers' strike had something to do with that. And the problem with going beyond the first season is that they had to impose false limits on the uber characters. At least season 1 had some workable limits. Peter didn't know what the hell he was doing, Hiro had his self-imposed code of honor, and Sylar…well, he didn't have limits, but that would be okay as a growing juggernaut who is stopped before he gets too big; he shouldn't have been allowed to live past the first season.

Arrested Development is certainly worth watching, and there's a new season being made, so you can prepare for that.

I've finally gotten into watching the new Doctor Who (had some weird mental block where I couldn't bring myself to watch new seasons without seeing the old seasons but I finally got over that shortcoming). Since it seemed like I was the only geek who didn't watch Who, you probably already know about it, but if you also never saw the series, I can definitely suggest it. BBC America is showing several episodes a week, but they're not entirely in order (or even within the same series). You could rent or buy the series.

Spring Break. I miss the days when that was a meaningful phrase.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 12:06:29 pm »

But FF had some interesting things where someone saw something in their future that they didn't like and they actively worked to PREVENT that future.  And succeeded.  I thought it was an interesting examination of how different people would react to seeing a glimpse of their supposed future.  Some would give up entirely and be resigned to their terrible fate.  Some would fight against it and ultimately fulfill the prophecy.  But others were able to successfully change the future.  And for those with happy futures, some were content to wait while others tried to hurry it along... possibly finding an entirely different ending.

It was neat.

Nobody has commented on Dollhouse.  Has anyone else watched it?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 12:17:23 pm »

But FF had some interesting things where someone saw something in their future that they didn't like and they actively worked to PREVENT that future.  And succeeded.  I thought it was an interesting examination of how different people would react to seeing a glimpse of their supposed future.  Some would give up entirely and be resigned to their terrible fate.  Some would fight against it and ultimately fulfill the prophecy.  But others were able to successfully change the future.  And for those with happy futures, some were content to wait while others tried to hurry it along... possibly finding an entirely different ending.

It was neat.
I haven't watched it but that sounds terribly inconsistent.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:14 pm »

It was neat.
I haven't watched it but that sounds terribly inconsistent.

It depends on how far you're willing to go.

The one who successfully changed his future did it by killing himself.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 12:30:10 pm »

Oh, the concept of Flash Forward was indeed neat. That's why I wished there was an episode about life insurance companies.

But it did fall into the same trap as time travel. And as the episodes got closer to that fateful moment, I found things to be getting kind of silly.

Probably would have made a better movie. Some concepts just don't work out as TV series (I'm looking at you, The Following).

Dollhouse was a fun show, but I'm glad it didn't go beyond season 2. It was also a neat idea that spiraled into something bigger, and if it continued to be on the air, then it probably would have been ludicrously big. I'm probably committing blasphemy by saying I wasn't all that thrilled with the episodes in the future. I think it wrapped up at the right time.
A man has no signature

spiritbears

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:10 pm »

Also, if you like BBC drama (or are a fan of "Stringer Bell") try Luther season 1/2.  They are short. About 4 shows each.  But fantastic.
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 02:47:13 pm »

Aww, I found Flash Forward super interesting in the questions it raised.

And Heroes was great, although it kind of got worse and worse in each subsequent season.

Flash Forward was decent, more than decent at times, painful some of the time... but the fact that it only got one season I think kills it. I liked the show, and I wanted to see where it went, but as it stands I don't think it's a super compelling season of television. I was rooting for it to get renewed, but alas.

Heroes, on the other hand, is indefensible ;)
Heroes was decent enough until the WGA strike.
But the show had so much promiss and ended up way too soapy for my tastes.
The plot moved too slow and there was too little action.

The graphic novels however were quite interesting.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 02:53:01 pm »

Watch "Lost."

Ha, that's how I'm spending this week! My wife and I are almost halfway through season 6. (I've seen it all before, but she hasn't.)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 03:35:56 pm »

Watch "Lost."

Ha, that's how I'm spending this week! My wife and I are almost halfway through season 6. (I've seen it all before, but she hasn't.)

Nice! I love watching it alongside a first-timer. Namaste!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

Lost spoiler: the cake is a lie

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 10:37:04 am »

I don't know if you are looking for television shows only but I know a few free games that are wonderful time sinks. League of legends I have talked about too much on this forum I feel, it a fun game but takes time to learn and is best played with friends.

Vindictus it is a amazingly beautiful free online game. It is by nexon gaming company the makers of maple story, combat arms, dungeon fighter, and more. They have great success with free to play games that allow for real money to purchase costumes, bonuses, ect.

Vindictive is a mmo rpg with a closed world.

So you talk to people and go questing and level up and get better equipment much like world of warcraft. However it's a closed world, the town is the only place you run around and talk to people. To go questing you board a boat(really like a lobby if others want to do the same quest) and travel to the dungeon. So there is no unnecessary running around and if you want the game can be played almost entirely alone.

The game reads almost exactly like a book with what I believe to be an amazing story truly, fantasy video game fans should just look up the story. As you progress through the quest you learn more about each characters and complete chapters. They have currently finished book one, 10 chapters long and jus started book two so the content isn't going to disappear anytime soon.

The combat is different from most mmo RPGs and what I think makes vindictus stand out anmong the rest. Move with wasd and camera control with the mouse. Left click is attack and right click is smash. These are used to make attack chains(similar to dynast warriors if you've played it) each character has unique spells as well that you can use. Essentially why I love this so much is it keeps you entertained. Instead of clicking to begging attacking or use a spell that automatically hits and waiting to kill your enemy you have to actually hit them. I find "right click wait for it to die" an insanely boring technique many mmo's use.

Anyway that's my suggestion if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 03:30:35 pm »

If I was in an mmorpg mood i'd probably opt for Dungeon Fighter online again, honestly. 

And i have a maxed out League account with lots of champs, just haven't enjoyed it lately.  It's a shame, having all the runes and champs and no one is using them..

The announcement of Hearthstone makes me not want to wade deep into anything, because i want to get into Hearthstone when it releases, or if i can get into the beta

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 03:36:37 pm »

I really would suggest vindictus if you ever get into an mmo rpg mood, it is just beautiful.

Also you have a maxed out league account, Madness!! have you spent money or have I found someone who has played more league then me?
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:45 pm »

i meant, level 30.  Not, has purchased all the champs.

Getting to level 30 in League didn't require me to spend money, it just took a month.  It's like a 4th the effort of maxing out a WoW account

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 03:42:24 pm »

vindictus's beauty might not agree with my laptop's poor graphics capabilities

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 04:05:07 pm »

i meant, level 30.  Not, has purchased all the champs.

Getting to level 30 in League didn't require me to spend money, it just took a month.  It's like a 4th the effort of maxing out a WoW account

Ah, I have 3 champions left to purchase using all IP. Runes will take me quite a bit longer to collect but yea, 30 isn't that hard to get to.

Also you mentioned league has also been giving me less enjoyment lately, hence my drift back to vindictus. That may be a problem, the game is extreeeemely graphics intensive but it's everything I would want in a final fantasy/legend of zelda/dynasty warriors combo game.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 04:14:43 pm »

Have they reduced the IP cost of several champs?  I thought it was impossible to purchase that many champs with IP (well, and have any runes to speak of)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »

Have they reduced the IP cost of several champs?  I thought it was impossible to purchase that many champs with IP (well, and have any runes to speak of)

Kind of. The current system is that every time a new champ comes out, the oldest 6300 IP champion becomes cheaper. I play pretty casually, so I can get away with mostly playing the free ones and spending my IP primarily on runes.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 04:25:13 pm »

That's a pretty dramatic difference from the total cost increasing at a relentless 6300 pace.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 04:26:04 pm »

some have been reduced, I have been playing since beta. So going on year 4 of my league career, I have played over 3,000 normal games. Interestingly enough I have in fact felt that a standard AD and AP rune page is all you need. Aside from support, AD carries/jungler/tops are fine using the same runes and AP mid page is a bit of its own thing, but swap out the seals and glyphs for your tank ones from a standard AD page gives you a good AP top/jungle page. Playing since beta I have been awarded an extra rune page and countless boosts from riot due to server problems or holidays and such.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 04:28:21 pm »

Kind of. The current system is that every time a new champ comes out, the oldest 6300 IP champion becomes cheaper. I play pretty casually, so I can get away with mostly playing the free ones and spending my IP primarily on runes.

They also slowed down champion releases quite a bit. The reductions barely help me because I own most the "old" champions already.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 05:32:59 pm »
+2

You can install Age of Empires or RollerCoaster Tycoon. (Preferably the 2nd of each series) Those will eat up a lot of time.

In case you weren't aware: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/?snr=1_7_15__13

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 06:34:36 pm »

You can install Age of Empires or RollerCoaster Tycoon. (Preferably the 2nd of each series) Those will eat up a lot of time.

In case you weren't aware: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/?snr=1_7_15__13
I actually was aware, but still had to +1 this post because I want more people to be aware. :)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:26 pm »

Nobody has commented on Dollhouse.  Has anyone else watched it?
I watched it. Jos had an obviously epic vision for its story arc, and Fox wanted something more restrained to start off with, which I think was a good thing - a few episodes with the same episodic nature before really dropping the deeper story in helped get it all started without creating too much craziness early on. However, when it wasn't particularly clear whether there would be a season 2, and then when there was no clarity on how many episodes season 2 would actually be, it meant that there was no opportunity to keep the pacing steady and the show suffered a fair amount for it. However, I did like the two Epitaph episodes as they rounded out each season in different ways and brought some kind of conclusion to it all (although I believe there is now a tie-in comic, just like for Jos' other works).

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 10:50:18 pm »

Watch X-Files.  Bloody good, that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.