Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko still not ready imo  (Read 5263 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Goko still not ready imo
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:06:36 am »
+5

I was an early Goko adopter, playing there since September exclusively with the exception of the f.ds championships. But, I am sad that isotropic is down despite never playing on there. I am upset because I feel that Goko is not ready to officially 100% go public and yet that is what they are doing by pulling the plug on iso.

The reason I am starting this thread is actually because I frequent Goko's GetSatisfaction thing. A frequent thread that comes up is players posting about connection and reconnect problems. This problem should be imo solved for most users if you are calling this an official launch product. The reason this concerns me is because I can only imagine the players who do not check GetSatisfaction or these forums and who will never ever give Goko another chance. Let's face it, a lot of people were frustrated with Goko's failed launch in August and its current problems now are, well, problematic.

The second most thing that comes up is about being left hanging after an opponent "quits." There seem to be a lot of threads about this on GetSatisfaction, and a lot of players are confused and unhappy about this situation. It is a darn shame this wasn't taken care of before iso went down.

Now, I am not complaining about Goko. This thread was started because I am worried about them yet again leaving another negative impression and driving away more potential customers. I have actually gotten used to their interface and the occasional "opponent quits" that leaves the game hanging for 2 minutes or so.

More than anything, I want to see Dominion successful, and I also want to see Goko successful since that is where I go to play Dominion, even before iso went down. It just saddens me to see so many frustrated threads on GS. Now, if people were writing threads to hate, my feelings would not be the same, but a lot of this is stuff Goko could have worked on having done before iso went down.

Ironically, Dark Ages seems a fitting name for our most recent expansion because right now, I do feel like we have entered the Dark Ages. I hope things get better soon. But, I don't know. To be honest, I actually like Goko for the most part. Maybe that is because of how much I love Dominion and also the interactions with DA cards.

But, at the same time, I am worried about the future of online Dominion. My wish is for nothing but the best and a great playing experience for the majority of the players.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Goko still not ready imo
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:05:17 am »

I like how they announce their "routine maintenance" by pulling the plug in the middle of a game without any sort of warning, and that you have to find out what's going on by going to goko.com because playdominion.com itself just shows a black page.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:11:21 am »

Its not... so bad, is it? They are probably trying to fix stuff, it will get better. I hope.

P.S. Where's Black Market?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:50:12 am »

Apparently they've finished coding Stash, but Black Market will be a while.

As for iso shutting down, was that asked for by Goko/Jay, or did dougz just decide it was time?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:16:44 am »
+4

Goko asked, and picked the date.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 11:39:44 am »
+1

Goko asked, and picked the date.

Oof. Really wish they'd fixed their [quitting = no ranking change] issues before that.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:46:57 pm »
+12

I've been trying to decide whether or not to start a thread listing the things I would need done in order to pay money for Goko, but this seems like the perfect thread for my post.
------------------------------

So I've been playing on Goko over the last week. Multiplayer games; not owning any sets. I've toyed with the idea of going ahead and buying all the sets; it almost seems good enough for me to do so. But there's a list of things stopping me; things that must be in place before I'm willing to do so. Roughly ranked by importance.

1. Automatch. I know that they've already said that this is one of their top priorities. But I am completely confused as to why the current system would ever exist at all. The whole idea of hosting a game vs finding a game to join doesn't seem like it would be any easier to have implemented than automatch, and I can't think of any advantages to it. It makes a large portion of the play experience quite unenjoyable; it's as if you have to be the host if you want to actually have fun playing.

Let me explain... if I'm looking for a game to join, and not hosting one, then this is what happens. I sit around in a lobby for a couple minutes waiting until a new game pops up. At this point, I have no idea if it's a game with all the sets, or just the base set, or what. Some people put "all cards" in the game name.. great. But no everyone does; and heck, nothing's stopping people from saying that even if it's not true!

If it's a casual game, I can look at the list of cards being used... of course, by the time I click the button to see that list, and see that it's a game I want to play, more than half the time someone else has already taken the spot; so much for that game. And then if it's a pro game, I basically just have to join it in hopes that it's not base set only... and more than half the games I've joined this way so far were base set only. So now I'm stuck playing a game that frankly I find quite boring.*

So it would seem that the obvious solution to all these problems is to buy all the sets, and host my own game. I'm not cheap; I'm not wanting something for free... I'm fine with paying money for it to play that way. But then, who am I playing against? People like my current self... after all, it's just been shown that the only way to get a good game is to host it yourself. So most likely I'm playing against people who don't own all the sets... otherwise they would most likely be hosting themselves. So all Dominion players are broken into 2 groups of people; the hosters and the joiners. And ironically, this would be perfect; if hosters mainly played other hosters and joiners mainly played other joiners... because they're more likely to be similar types of players. But instead, it's forced that a hoster can only play a joiner; the exact opposite of ideal.

Ok, that was a really long rant; hopefully the rest of the issues will be more succinct.

2. It needs to run on the iPad. By which I mean my iPad; as mentioned in another thread, I can't play it at all without it crashing. Sure it's 1st generation. Sure maybe almost 3 years is a really long time in the world of fast-moving technology; especially Apple technology. But on the other hand, it's less than 3 years old. It's not exactly a legacy dinosaur here... it's pretty new. And the entire reason and philosophy behind Goko is supposed to be mobile support. I need to be able to play on my iPad.

3. Refreshing window / disconnects. There are just so many reasons I can think of that you might get kicked out of a game... your browser crashed (especially an issue on the iPad); you accidentally closed the tab while trying to click or close something else; your internet connection flickered off; your computer crashed and you restarted; you accidentally hit F5 or the refresh button... You need to be able to continue your game where you left off if any of those things happen.

4. The in-game log currently shows the entire game. After pages and pages of debate about whether the PCE was cheating; whether taking notes by hand in a IRL game was cheating; etc, etc... all of which, in my opinion, was clearly concluded by Donald X himself repeatedly stating that note-taking was cheating, unless agreed upon, then it's a variant... after all that, the official implementation keeps a full-game log of everything that happens. To me this is a big variant on the game; much more so than just a point-counter. It completely removes all memory aspect of the game; which is an important skill-set that Dominion includes.

5. They need to get rid the remaining places where you are forced to drag a card to a specific location to tell the system what you want to do. This is a strange one, because they actually fixed this problem for several cards already! I can't remember a full list of either the things they already changed, or the ones they still need to change... but I do know that the other day, when I played Oracle, I ended up putting my Grand Market in the discard pile because it's this tiny little icon that's directly next to this other tiny little icon for the draw pile. To drag a card into the right spot is just way too easy to make a mistake on. Plus it simply adds to the play time and physical effort involved... I know it's only an extra couple of seconds, but it adds up. Just let me click a button instead!

6. They need to fix other pointless things that they make you click, or watch, when stuff happens. Again I don't have a full list, but just a few that come to mind that bother me enough to take away my enjoyment of the game: When I play a Moneylender, why do I have to choose a Copper to trash? When I play a Beggar, why do I have to sit there and watch and 1 Copper gets added to my hand, then another Copper gets added to my hand, then another Copper gets added to my hand? Just add 3 Coppers to my hand! Yes, I know that if you have Trader or Watchtower or Royal Seal around that the events need to be resolved 1 at a time. You can deal with the edge cases without making it tedious the other 95% of the time. When I buy a Mandarin with my opening $5, why do I have to choose the order in which my 5 Coppers go back on top of my deck? Also, apparently if I try to click farthest left one during this time, it doesn't put it back, rather it opens the larger view of the card. Clicking the other ones puts them back.

7. I need to see all the Supply cards at once. They want to keep Spoils, Prizes, Madmen, and Mercenaries separate; fine. Back to that 95% things; it's so rare that anyone cares how many of those are left. But Ruins, and more importantly the 11th Kingdom card when there's Young Witch absolutely need to be on the same screen. I shouldn't have to page through things to find the card I want to buy. Some say that if you see Young Witch in the Kingdom, you should just be used to a second page. Not good enough for me. Also, though it would be very rare... what if Young Witch ends up being the next-page card? You see 10 non-Young Witch Kingdom cards... in a game without any other special cards... would you ever bother checking the second page? The fact is that the current UI design is simply completely short-sighted and poorly done for a game that can have more than 10 cards out at once. Having Estates go with the Treasures in a Colony game is similar. It may not be as much of a big deal, but it's terrible design.

I think that's actually it. With all that in place, I would be annoyed at the fact that a game still takes about twice as long as a game of Iso... but I would enjoy playing it enough to pay money for it and wouldn't care to compare it to a product that no longer exists.

Is that too much to ask?

*Man, when Dominion first came out I thought it was the greatest thing ever, even with only base cards. I played dozens and dozens of games without ever getting bored or thinking it was repetitive. So I'm not trying to knock base Dominion as a bad game. It just that after playing with all expansions; and spending over a year learning intricate strategy details; base Dominion is no longer fun at all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 01:21:13 pm »
+1

I've been trying to decide whether or not to start a thread listing the things I would need done in order to pay money for Goko, but this seems like the perfect thread for my post.
------------------------------

So I've been playing on Goko over the last week. Multiplayer games; not owning any sets. I've toyed with the idea of going ahead and buying all the sets; it almost seems good enough for me to do so. But there's a list of things stopping me; things that must be in place before I'm willing to do so. Roughly ranked by importance.

1. Automatch. I know that they've already said that this is one of their top priorities. But I am completely confused as to why the current system would ever exist at all. The whole idea of hosting a game vs finding a game to join doesn't seem like it would be any easier to have implemented than automatch, and I can't think of any advantages to it. It makes a large portion of the play experience quite unenjoyable; it's as if you have to be the host if you want to actually have fun playing.

Let me explain... if I'm looking for a game to join, and not hosting one, then this is what happens. I sit around in a lobby for a couple minutes waiting until a new game pops up. At this point, I have no idea if it's a game with all the sets, or just the base set, or what. Some people put "all cards" in the game name.. great. But no everyone does; and heck, nothing's stopping people from saying that even if it's not true!

If it's a casual game, I can look at the list of cards being used... of course, by the time I click the button to see that list, and see that it's a game I want to play, more than half the time someone else has already taken the spot; so much for that game. And then if it's a pro game, I basically just have to join it in hopes that it's not base set only... and more than half the games I've joined this way so far were base set only. So now I'm stuck playing a game that frankly I find quite boring.*

So it would seem that the obvious solution to all these problems is to buy all the sets, and host my own game. I'm not cheap; I'm not wanting something for free... I'm fine with paying money for it to play that way. But then, who am I playing against? People like my current self... after all, it's just been shown that the only way to get a good game is to host it yourself. So most likely I'm playing against people who don't own all the sets... otherwise they would most likely be hosting themselves. So all Dominion players are broken into 2 groups of people; the hosters and the joiners. And ironically, this would be perfect; if hosters mainly played other hosters and joiners mainly played other joiners... because they're more likely to be similar types of players. But instead, it's forced that a hoster can only play a joiner; the exact opposite of ideal.

Ok, that was a really long rant; hopefully the rest of the issues will be more succinct.

2. It needs to run on the iPad. By which I mean my iPad; as mentioned in another thread, I can't play it at all without it crashing. Sure it's 1st generation. Sure maybe almost 3 years is a really long time in the world of fast-moving technology; especially Apple technology. But on the other hand, it's less than 3 years old. It's not exactly a legacy dinosaur here... it's pretty new. And the entire reason and philosophy behind Goko is supposed to be mobile support. I need to be able to play on my iPad.

3. Refreshing window / disconnects. There are just so many reasons I can think of that you might get kicked out of a game... your browser crashed (especially an issue on the iPad); you accidentally closed the tab while trying to click or close something else; your internet connection flickered off; your computer crashed and you restarted; you accidentally hit F5 or the refresh button... You need to be able to continue your game where you left off if any of those things happen.

4. The in-game log currently shows the entire game. After pages and pages of debate about whether the PCE was cheating; whether taking notes by hand in a IRL game was cheating; etc, etc... all of which, in my opinion, was clearly concluded by Donald X himself repeatedly stating that note-taking was cheating, unless agreed upon, then it's a variant... after all that, the official implementation keeps a full-game log of everything that happens. To me this is a big variant on the game; much more so than just a point-counter. It completely removes all memory aspect of the game; which is an important skill-set that Dominion includes.

5. They need to get rid the remaining places where you are forced to drag a card to a specific location to tell the system what you want to do. This is a strange one, because they actually fixed this problem for several cards already! I can't remember a full list of either the things they already changed, or the ones they still need to change... but I do know that the other day, when I played Oracle, I ended up putting my Grand Market in the discard pile because it's this tiny little icon that's directly next to this other tiny little icon for the draw pile. To drag a card into the right spot is just way too easy to make a mistake on. Plus it simply adds to the play time and physical effort involved... I know it's only an extra couple of seconds, but it adds up. Just let me click a button instead!

6. They need to fix other pointless things that they make you click, or watch, when stuff happens. Again I don't have a full list, but just a few that come to mind that bother me enough to take away my enjoyment of the game: When I play a Moneylender, why do I have to choose a Copper to trash? When I play a Beggar, why do I have to sit there and watch and 1 Copper gets added to my hand, then another Copper gets added to my hand, then another Copper gets added to my hand? Just add 3 Coppers to my hand! Yes, I know that if you have Trader or Watchtower or Royal Seal around that the events need to be resolved 1 at a time. You can deal with the edge cases without making it tedious the other 95% of the time. When I buy a Mandarin with my opening $5, why do I have to choose the order in which my 5 Coppers go back on top of my deck? Also, apparently if I try to click farthest left one during this time, it doesn't put it back, rather it opens the larger view of the card. Clicking the other ones puts them back.

7. I need to see all the Supply cards at once. They want to keep Spoils, Prizes, Madmen, and Mercenaries separate; fine. Back to that 95% things; it's so rare that anyone cares how many of those are left. But Ruins, and more importantly the 11th Kingdom card when there's Young Witch absolutely need to be on the same screen. I shouldn't have to page through things to find the card I want to buy. Some say that if you see Young Witch in the Kingdom, you should just be used to a second page. Not good enough for me. Also, though it would be very rare... what if Young Witch ends up being the next-page card? You see 10 non-Young Witch Kingdom cards... in a game without any other special cards... would you ever bother checking the second page? The fact is that the current UI design is simply completely short-sighted and poorly done for a game that can have more than 10 cards out at once. Having Estates go with the Treasures in a Colony game is similar. It may not be as much of a big deal, but it's terrible design.

I think that's actually it. With all that in place, I would be annoyed at the fact that a game still takes about twice as long as a game of Iso... but I would enjoy playing it enough to pay money for it and wouldn't care to compare it to a product that no longer exists.

Is that too much to ask?

*Man, when Dominion first came out I thought it was the greatest thing ever, even with only base cards. I played dozens and dozens of games without ever getting bored or thinking it was repetitive. So I'm not trying to knock base Dominion as a bad game. It just that after playing with all expansions; and spending over a year learning intricate strategy details; base Dominion is no longer fun at all.

Great great post.

Advice to anyone making a product:
"If a popular version of the product you are trying to make already exists, do a ton of research before making elements of that product worse before deciding to make the compromise"

Man. Even if all that was fixed, but games took twice as long as iso, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't play.
So sad.

Ed

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 01:37:31 pm »

Man. Even if all that was fixed, but games took twice as long as iso, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't play.

You get used to it quickly. It's still much faster than a physical game of Dominion.

A lot of people here really seem to value speed play. When I play a worthy opponent, I take my time to consider my strategy and tactics.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:38:41 pm by LastFootnote »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 01:56:50 pm »
+4

I don't think Goko games take significantly longer than iso games, and certainly not twice as long.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »

I don't think Goko games take significantly longer than iso games, and certainly not twice as long.

I think everyone's first few Goko games will take longer.  After that, I don't think Hiking is slower.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 04:14:19 pm »
+1

I disagree that Goko becomes as quick as Iso. The visual flourishes add up, plus the time you need to check the log because it's not obvious from the visuals what happened (or they happened too fast).

Just compare the recorded game times of the YouTube players. The Goko players are almost never less than 10 minutes and more often close to 20 minutes. WanderingWinder's videos are frequently under 10 minutes. WW plays pretty quickly, but he takes time to think about specific decisions, and his opponents often take time too. The YouTubers are not taking substantially longer to make decisions, but the games definitely play out slower.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 04:16:58 pm »

FWIW, while Goko is slower than iso, I don't find the difference substantial. The log is a bigger issue, but if your opponent is playing fairly quickly, the animations don't really move so fast to miss things. I'm not playing with them on the fastest speed, but they are plenty quick enough on the third notch. Actually even the one it starts on now isn't too slow. It used to be terrible, but they've come a long way.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »

The big issue with Goko at the moment is that it still crashes—a lot. I've been posting on GetSatisfaction, but the number of freezes I've had in Adventure mode is beyond unacceptable. I haven't played much multiplayer yet because the lobby/create a game system is such an awful UI, but there's zero reason for solo play to have issues.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 04:27:19 pm »
+1

When discussing how long it takes to play a game on Iso vs Goko, you also have to include the time that it takes to start a game; which includes the loading of the website itself, finding a game to play, and loading the game itself for each game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 04:30:41 pm »
+1

You can't play Goko on the iPad?  Wasn't that like, the whole point of their endeavor?  Ha.

I gave Goko another try last week just as a guest.  Left disappointed.  I suppose I will check back again on them in a few weeks.   

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 05:31:32 pm »

You can't play Goko on the iPad?  Wasn't that like, the whole point of their endeavor?  Ha.

I gave Goko another try last week just as a guest.  Left disappointed.  I suppose I will check back again on them in a few weeks.

My understanding is that it works pretty ok on newer iPads. There's minor issues like you can't chat, but it works. It just seems that it's too memory or processor intensive for a gen 1 iPad.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 07:38:12 pm »

I think part of the speed difference is the presence of Dark Ages cards, too. Even in person, DA games seem to take noticeably longer -- a function both of the cards being new and more complicated.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.199 seconds with 21 queries.