Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

How much does information cost?

(1/4) > >>

Titandrake:
Just a random idea I've been thinking about.

Telescope
Cost: ?
Action - Perpetual (This stays in play during the cleanup phase)
On the turn you play this, +1 Action
While this is in play, each other player reveals their hand.

At what cost would you consider buying this?

My current guess is $3. I haven't tried playtesting this card at all, although I tried testing a version that was a Duration card, which revealed everyone's hand and replaced itself for $2. I never had a good justification to buy it. However, changing it to last the entire game makes it a lot more significant. I'd imagine it would clearly be more valuable in certain games than others (in a Big Money game the Silver is probably going to be better). However, I can't think of a game where I would want to buy this for $5+.

Davio:
I think this is less harmless than it may seem at first.

I can only imagine this being useful with certain cards in the setup:
- Possession
- Young Witch
- Mountebank
- Masquerade
- Ghost Ship/Swindler
- Etc...

I guess the crux of this card is the fact that you not only know their current hand, but the cards they discard or put back on top of their deck as well...

It's close to harmless in setups with no attacks or with mild attacks.
It makes observing the PPR a lot easier though, because you can see if you will immediately lose if you buy the 2nd to last Province or if you will have a shot at the last one.

ftl:
Seems like it would be very situational. I might want it in Possession games, to see whether I should let the opponent deal with a bad hand or to Possess it - or to see whether I should junk up my next hand because he has a possession. Not sure whether there'll be there's a good time to pick one of these up, but maybe. Might be useful with some other attacks, but not all THAT often - I guess it might help decide whether to use an attack or not if I have clashing terminals, but that's a situation to avoid anyway. Might help avoid secret-chamber defenses, but that's rarely a concern.

I might give it a try at 3 or 4, if one of those cases seems true, but I'm not sure whether it's actually a good idea or whether I'd just be trying for the novelty.

Thinkaman:
Yeah, this affects very few cards, and even fewer specific combinations where it introduces a meaningful choice.  Sure, maybe I can see in advance that you can block my Montebank... but how much is that information going to drastically change my decisions?  Maybe I get to use a marginally superior terminal action?  Like if I have Tournament, knowing if you have a Province or not is of zero value 99% of the time. 

More cards "attack" the top of opponent decks than specific cards in hands.  Thief, Tribute, and Pirate Ship give you a significant reward based on this state as well, so it matters.  Hence, Spy/Scrying Pool.

DStu:

--- Quote from: Davio on September 27, 2011, 03:26:44 am ---I can only imagine this being useful with certain cards in the setup:
- Possession
- Young Witch
- Mountebank
- Masquerade
- Ghost Ship/Swindler
- Etc...

--- End quote ---

Don't forget the Peddler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version