Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Looking for some advice  (Read 2694 times)

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Looking for some advice
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »

Have lost ~10 games in a row. trying to figure out how to play better. Here is log of game I just finished

http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/16/game-20130316-153919-9d3ff190.html

Got very quick start with Metalworking with a lof of scoring and a couple early achievements. But then I just got killed from midgame on with Leaf and Crown demands: Mapmaking, Anatomy, Enterprise, Navigation, Societies and finally Combustion.   

What do you do when you opponent can basically take your score/meld pile at will and make it hard to meld anything?

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:51:20 pm »

Have lost ~10 games in a row. trying to figure out how to play better. Here is log of game I just finished

http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/16/game-20130316-153919-9d3ff190.html

Got very quick start with Metalworking with a lof of scoring and a couple early achievements. But then I just got killed from midgame on with Leaf and Crown demands: Mapmaking, Anatomy, Enterprise, Navigation, Societies and finally Combustion.   

What do you do when you opponent can basically take your score/meld pile at will and make it hard to meld anything?

Pay attention to which innovations they are using to invoke those dogmas.  And when you figure that out, pay attention to which ages those innovations are from.  The game changes in nature, I find, when someone starts hitting age 5 and above on their board.  If you're still stuck back in age 2 or 3, it can be a big hurdle to overcome.

Also, while ages 1, 2, and 3 may seem trivially easy to dominate, don't pass them up -- ever.  Each achievement has equal value in winning the game, so even if your opponent is on a roll, taking the early achievements when possible may put the breaks on their domination.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:30:09 pm »

So.. you never want to use Agriculture turn 1, ever.  Even if the card was totally useless, (and writing isn't useless), you don't want to spend an action and only get 2 points from it.  2 points is simply worth less than a draw or a meld. 

gryph202

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:43:13 pm »

So.. you never want to use Agriculture turn 1, ever.  Even if the card was totally useless, (and writing isn't useless), you don't want to spend an action and only get 2 points from it.  2 points is simply worth less than a draw or a meld.

I generally hold Agriculture until later in the game, when I can get at least five points a pop from it, if I use it at all.  When you've got everything lining up but your score pile is still woefully thin and you're up to age 4-5 with a couple of top cards you no longer have any use for, slap down agriculture.  If you time it right, you can use it to stay one step ahead of your opponents in getting those achievements -- sometimes.  ;)

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:31:01 pm »

I actually DID win one game by doing Agriculture and not much else...generally thats poor strategy though. Someone uses Anatomy on you and you are dead in the water. Am learning quickly that Innovation requires a bit more focus than Dominion. I tend to be lazy at times and not look at the entire situation. One game I lost because I splayed the wrong color up (needed more crowns to protect against Skyscraper). I also need work on picking up potential engines that my opponent may use before its too late.

gryph202

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:27:30 pm »

I actually DID win one game by doing Agriculture and not much else...generally thats poor strategy though. Someone uses Anatomy on you and you are dead in the water. Am learning quickly that Innovation requires a bit more focus than Dominion. I tend to be lazy at times and not look at the entire situation. One game I lost because I splayed the wrong color up (needed more crowns to protect against Skyscraper). I also need work on picking up potential engines that my opponent may use before its too late.

That's just it.  The game board is in constant flux.  The best move changes from situation to situation, and there are even some high-level dogmas that I would still describe as situationally useful.  I think the best advice I ever got on Innovation was:  Keep playing and don't let yourself get too frustrated.  Innovation is a game you'll get a "feel" for.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.