Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: trading one iso for another iso  (Read 12138 times)

palangus

• Swindler
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
Re: trading one iso for another iso
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:42 am »

That being said, I think the circumstances are vastly different.  The licensing for Dominion was done by language, as it is for most games.  In other words, RGG gets the license to publish all english-language versions of Dominion regardless of where they are released. 

WUT.
So we could have dominion back if we all learn to speak french???

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 10:21:22 am »

That being said, I think the circumstances are vastly different.  The licensing for Dominion was done by language, as it is for most games.  In other words, RGG gets the license to publish all english-language versions of Dominion regardless of where they are released. 

WUT.

Dunno.  I don't speak for Jay Tummelson either.  It is just my understanding that the licensing agreement for Inno was a little bit...shall we say, "unusual."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 11:09:31 am »

But if that's the case, we don't even have to learn to speak French. I think all the cards are recognizable from just the cost, type, vanilla bonuses and expansion. I'm not sure though, but at least I can't think of any two cards with the same cost, same vanilla bonuses and same type in the same expansion. And it's easy to learn to remember the few possible edge cases.

I don't understand the copyright law at all, though. I don't understand how it works, or why it even exists in the first place. So I'm relying on your clarifications.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 11:14:48 am »
+4

We just need to get the dominion Tuvalu licensing sold to Ozle.

HB

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:14 pm »

lets totally do that

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 01:31:40 pm »
+1

We just need to get the dominion Tuvalu licensing sold to Ozle.

Problem is, I'd sell out in a heartbeat to Goko for a big pile of cash!

These coconuts are not going to buy themselves!
I have a lot of cousins to feed, and the new Ozle Ostentatious Orphanage could do with a new statue of me outside. The old one is a little covered in Guano
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 02:55:15 pm »

WUT.

What do you mean, you could "have Dominion back"?  Are you somehow suddenly unable to play?

Ignoring that... I would be highly surprised if RGG's distribution model works like that, given three things we know.  First, we know that Donald X has a licensing contract with RGG (Donald has stated this).  Second, we know that non-English versions say "(c) 20xx Rio Grande Games" on the cards (you can look this up at BGG).  Three, we know that RGG has a licensing contract with Goko.  Given that knowledge, what we can guess is the following:

(1) Donald, the original IP owner, owns the copyright to the card text.  Copyright, by default, applies to multiple languages, not just one; it applies to the words, not the letters or the alphabet.
(2) Donald has sold the copyright to RGG for a period of N years, after which the copyright reverts to him.
(3) Because RGG owns the copyright during this time, they automatically have a license to publish in any language or format they wish to.
(4) RGG sought artists for the card art and paid them for their art.  Mostly likely, this was a one-time payment for copyright/distribution in perpetuity, though it's possible the artists retained the right to sell prints of their artwork--hard to say.
(5) RGG collated everything into the game we know, in English, as Dominion; they decided to also be the publisher and distributor, at least in the US.  They contracted the manufacturing to their normal manufacturer, wherever that may be.
(6) RGG then sold the publication and distribution rights for a given language or area--not the same as the copyright--to Hans im Gluck, Filosofia, 999, etc., for P years.  Given the uniform look of Dominion versions, those publication and distribution rights came with the stipulation that the same card art would be used, and almost certainly the same manufacturer.
(7) RGG then sold the online distribution rights in all languages to Goko for Q years, after which those rights revert to RGG.

In other words, the rights to publish and distribute an online French, German, etc. version already belong to Goko.  So, no, you can't "have Dominion back" in the way you're implying.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 04:13:38 pm »

WUT.

What do you mean, you could "have Dominion back"?  Are you somehow suddenly unable to play?

Ignoring that... I would be highly surprised if RGG's distribution model works like that, given three things we know.  First, we know that Donald X has a licensing contract with RGG (Donald has stated this).  Second, we know that non-English versions say "(c) 20xx Rio Grande Games" on the cards (you can look this up at BGG).  Three, we know that RGG has a licensing contract with Goko.  Given that knowledge, what we can guess is the following:

(1) Donald, the original IP owner, owns the copyright to the card text.  Copyright, by default, applies to multiple languages, not just one; it applies to the words, not the letters or the alphabet.
(2) Donald has sold the copyright to RGG for a period of N years, after which the copyright reverts to him.
(3) Because RGG owns the copyright during this time, they automatically have a license to publish in any language or format they wish to.
(4) RGG sought artists for the card art and paid them for their art.  Mostly likely, this was a one-time payment for copyright/distribution in perpetuity, though it's possible the artists retained the right to sell prints of their artwork--hard to say.
(5) RGG collated everything into the game we know, in English, as Dominion; they decided to also be the publisher and distributor, at least in the US.  They contracted the manufacturing to their normal manufacturer, wherever that may be.
(6) RGG then sold the publication and distribution rights for a given language or area--not the same as the copyright--to Hans im Gluck, Filosofia, 999, etc., for P years.  Given the uniform look of Dominion versions, those publication and distribution rights came with the stipulation that the same card art would be used, and almost certainly the same manufacturer.
(7) RGG then sold the online distribution rights in all languages to Goko for Q years, after which those rights revert to RGG.

In other words, the rights to publish and distribute an online French, German, etc. version already belong to Goko.  So, no, you can't "have Dominion back" in the way you're implying.

To me, this sounds like a more likely arrangement.  It is not unusual for games to be published by different companies in different languages, but I seem to recall reading something about Jay Tummelson having some expertise in importing/converting Eurogames for the American market.   

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 01:35:47 am »

Played my first game tonight.  It felt so good be back on isotropic; just the interface alone made me smile.  Thanks to JohnNi for being very patient and answering questions.  This feels like something i could enjoy.  Now I just have to figure out some strategy.  In case anyone wants a good laugh, I'm pretty sure my play is terrible. 

http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/25/game-20130325-212726-2185ad5e.html

big layoutski

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:29 pm »
+3

After playing 60+ games of innovation on iso, last night I walked into my FLGS and bought the box game. I'm looking forward to breaking out the real cards.

Thanks to Chris and Dougz for introducing me to the game. We'll see if the wife likes it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.