Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 817105 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #2125 on: January 01, 2016, 09:48:21 am »

Huh. I'm curious which base kingdom will allow you to certainly buy 9 dead cards, get hit by 10 Witch attacks, keep your Estates and still be certain to have $2 even though you could pick up 6 treasures max.

It's a 2-player game so you only have to buy 5 dead cards and I'm not sure why you would Witch attack your opponent.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: January 01, 2016, 09:50:53 am »

Huh. I'm curious which base kingdom will allow you to certainly buy 9 dead cards, get hit by 10 Witch attacks, keep your Estates and still be certain to have $2 even though you could pick up 6 treasures max.

It's a 2-player game so you only have to buy 5 dead cards and I'm not sure why you would Witch attack your opponent.

You need to empty the pile.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: January 01, 2016, 10:20:59 am »

I was assuming your opponent is not intending to help you. He doesn't buy Chapels and instead plays Witch to actively hinder you. If it's intended that you work together, the puzzle becomes more trivial than easy. Just let your opponent buy nine Chapels and buy the tenth on turn 16. Or whatever distribution of Chapels, and possibly Silver, works out. Well, maybe not trivial, but i don't see what the base limitation is for, then.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: January 01, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »

I think we choose the kingdom, so no attacks. I'm not sure that this is possible with worst shuffle luck.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: January 01, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »
+1

If it's intended that you work together, the puzzle becomes more trivial than easy. Just let your opponent buy nine Chapels and buy the tenth on turn 16. Or whatever distribution of Chapels, and possibly Silver, works out. Well, maybe not trivial, but i don't see what the base limitation is for, then.

You need to actually ensure your opponent can buy 9 Chapels. Here's a simple counter-example to show the that the 'only buy chapels' strategy can not ensure it - with this draw, it only gets 8 by turn 16. D here means D 'dead card' (Estate and Chapel), C is copper.

Turn 1: DDDCC. Chapel
Turn 2: CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 3. DDDDC.
Turn 4. CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 5. DDDDC.
Turn 6. CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 7. DDCCC. Chapel.
Turn 8. DDDDC.
Turn 9. DDDDC.
Turn 10. CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 11. DDDDC.
Turn 12. DDDDC.
Turn 13. CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 14. DDDDC.
Turn 15. DDDDC.
Turn 16. CCCCC. Chapel.

So one needs to devise a strategy that can guarantee 9 chapels by turn 16. Probably not very hard.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: January 03, 2016, 11:43:41 am »

If it's intended that you work together, the puzzle becomes more trivial than easy. Just let your opponent buy nine Chapels and buy the tenth on turn 16. Or whatever distribution of Chapels, and possibly Silver, works out. Well, maybe not trivial, but i don't see what the base limitation is for, then.

You need to actually ensure your opponent can buy 9 Chapels. Here's a simple counter-example to show the that the 'only buy chapels' strategy can not ensure it - with this draw, it only gets 8 by turn 16. D here means D 'dead card' (Estate and Chapel), C is copper.

Turn 1: DDDCC. Chapel
Turn 2: CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 3. DDDDC.
Turn 4. CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 5. DDDDC.
Turn 6. CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 7. DDCCC. Chapel.
Turn 8. DDDDC.
Turn 9. DDDDC.
Turn 10. CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 11. DDDDC.
Turn 12. DDDDC.
Turn 13. CCCCC. Chapel.
Turn 14. DDDDC.
Turn 15. DDDDC.
Turn 16. CCCCC. Chapel.

So one needs to devise a strategy that can guarantee 9 chapels by turn 16. Probably not very hard.

Right. So, you yourself buy the ninth (edit: or rather, eight) on turn 15. You won't have to shuffle after odd-numbered turns, meaning you'll have at least $2 on turn 16.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:45:52 am by Asper »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: January 03, 2016, 06:47:35 pm »
+1

You need to actually ensure your opponent can buy 9 Chapels.

Buying Copper, my opponent can buy 9 Chapels even if he has worst shuffle luck.

T1:EEECC
T2:CCCCC
T3:ChEEEC
T4:CCCCC
T5:ChCEEE
T6:CCCCC
T7:ChCCCC
T8:ChEEEC
T9:ChCCCC
T10:ChEEEC
T11:ChChChChCh
T12:CCCCC
T13:CCCCC
T14:ChEEEC
T15:ChChChChCh
T16:ChChChCC
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:49:24 pm by majiponi »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: January 04, 2016, 03:26:07 am »
+1

Next problem

Your opponent played Black Market and a Treasure.
You asked him which phase he was in.
Why did you ask?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2133 on: January 04, 2016, 03:31:56 am »

Contraband? (With no actions left)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: January 04, 2016, 06:32:21 am »

Next problem

Why did you ask?

Contraband? (With no actions left)

Normally you can see which phase he's in by whether the 3 revealed cards are still out. To avoid this, the Black Market deck has to be empty.

The only treasure card I can find, where you knowing matters, is Contraband (you want to know if he can play more action cards). But if this is the case, he can just always answer that it's still his action phase.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: January 04, 2016, 09:53:40 am »

Normally you can see which phase he's in by whether the 3 revealed cards are still out. To avoid this, the Black Market deck has to be empty.
Right.

The only treasure card I can find, where you knowing matters, is Contraband (you want to know if he can play more action cards). But if this is the case, he can just always answer that it's still his action phase.
Asking which phase he is in when contrabanding is meaningless because no card (except Black Market) lets him buy a card in the Action phase.

Hint: blue card

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: January 04, 2016, 10:08:01 am »

Next problem

Why did you ask?

There were no cards remaining in the Black Market deck, and the player had Actions remaining. They played Relic, and you are debating revealing a Moat or just taking the token, because you may want to hide your Moat to force your opponent to use their last action on an attack like Witch rather than a more powerful non-attack. If it is the Buy phase, you can safely reveal Moat since he can't Witch you.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: January 04, 2016, 07:46:40 pm »

Next problem

Why did you ask?

There were no cards remaining in the Black Market deck, and the player had Actions remaining. They played Relic, and you are debating revealing a Moat or just taking the token, because you may want to hide your Moat to force your opponent to use their last action on an attack like Witch rather than a more powerful non-attack. If it is the Buy phase, you can safely reveal Moat since he can't Witch you.
Congratulations! Perfect answer!

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: January 05, 2016, 05:03:41 am »
+2

Right.

Asking which phase he is in when contrabanding is meaningless because no card (except Black Market) lets him buy a card in the Action phase.

When he can buy cards isn't the point.
After playing Contraband he has $6 and one card left in hand. You know the only treasure he has left are Coppers. He does have action cards giving $2, and he has 1 action left.
If he's in his action phase, he can maybe afford Province, and then you want to name Province to avoid that.
If he's in his buy phase, you know that he can't afford Province, and you want to name something cheaper.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: January 05, 2016, 05:08:48 am »

Next problem

Why did you ask?

But wouldn't the best play for him always be to say, that it's his action phase?
Because of this the question doesn't matter. Unless we allow for sub-optimal play, which I don't think is normal in puzzles.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: January 05, 2016, 07:32:58 am »
+3

Next problem

Why did you ask?

But wouldn't the best play for him always be to say, that it's his action phase?
Because of this the question doesn't matter. Unless we allow for sub-optimal play, which I don't think is normal in puzzles.

Ok, how about this: he Counterfeits a Venture, first hitting Relic. The second play of Venture could hit Horn of Plenty. He may want to be in his buy phase so that Peddler is cheaper, and he cannot switch phases in between.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:13 am »

Next problem

Why did you ask?

Puzzle just says you ask what phase it is - you just need to supply an instance of when it could matter, not an instance where your opponent might choose one or the other. The opponent should always name the Action phase in your Contraband example too, because even without an Action to afford Province he wants you to name cards he can't afford.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: January 05, 2016, 08:26:06 am »

The opponent should always name the Action phase in your Contraband example too, because even without an Action to afford Province he wants you to name cards he can't afford.

I know. That's why I wrote this sentence:

But if this is the case, he can just always answer that it's still his action phase.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: January 05, 2016, 08:46:59 am »

Then, how about this:
The reaction card is Secret Chamber.
If you react, your opponent can know you can earn at least 4 coins.
He sometimes wants to know whether you can earn on the last phase - maybe he loses when he buys something.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2144 on: January 29, 2016, 12:17:39 pm »

Kind of a trick question, but..
You have 1 card left in your deck that you haven't drawn. You play Scrying Pool. But you don't actually draw the card. How?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: January 29, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »
+5

You have 1 card left in your deck that you haven't drawn. You play Scrying Pool. But you don't actually draw the card. How?

Discard Tunnel and draw the Gold.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: January 29, 2016, 12:24:42 pm »
+4

A trick question deserves a trick answer: you never draw cards with Scrying Pool. You just reveal them and then put them in your hand.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2147 on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:10 pm »

Discard Tunnel and draw the Gold.

Ah, that works, but not what I was thinking.  My answer is "trickier" than that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2148 on: January 29, 2016, 12:43:32 pm »

You don't draw the card, you put it into your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2149 on: January 29, 2016, 12:47:23 pm »

You don't draw the card, you put it into your hand.

It never gets in your hand at all.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.