Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 816259 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1775 on: June 03, 2015, 02:02:53 pm »
+2

Right.  The first Duplicate you gain can't be Duplicated.

Edge case: You were passed a Duplicate before you gained one.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 03, 2015, 02:39:08 pm »

You can gain cards from the trash. So you can trash the Duplicate via watchtower, get a second Duplicate, and gain the first Duplicate back via Graverobber, which should work.

That's the general idea.  wero's puzzle is about a specific copy of a card, the first in the stack.  But you can gain a specific copy more than once.  Gaining it from the trash is one way.  Another way is to return it to the pile via Ambassador.

Then you could also get two and return the first with Ambassador...

Not in 3p.  And it breaks the clarification that no other player gains a Duplicate.

I assumed that for puzzles involving Attacks it's basically a given the attack may whiff if wished (because of Lighthouse, Moat, whatever).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 03, 2015, 03:05:37 pm »

You can gain cards from the trash. So you can trash the Duplicate via watchtower, get a second Duplicate, and gain the first Duplicate back via Graverobber, which should work.

That's the general idea.  wero's puzzle is about a specific copy of a card, the first in the stack.  But you can gain a specific copy more than once.  Gaining it from the trash is one way.  Another way is to return it to the pile via Ambassador.

Not in 3p.  And it breaks the clarification that no other player gains a Duplicate.

I assumed that for puzzles involving Attacks it's basically a given the attack may whiff if wished (because of Lighthouse, Moat, whatever).

Oh.  Yes, that's what I had in mind with my answer.  I misread your first comment; I thought you were saying to have two copies and return them both (with one going to the opponent, the other staying in the pile).  Now I'm not sure what you were trying to add.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: June 03, 2015, 04:10:08 pm »

Oh.  Yes, that's what I had in mind with my answer.  I misread your first comment; I thought you were saying to have two copies and return them both (with one going to the opponent, the other staying in the pile).  Now I'm not sure what you were trying to add.

Just wanted to give an alternative to gaining the cards from the trash that still solves the puzzle. That's all.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:12:15 pm by Asper »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: June 03, 2015, 04:27:58 pm »
+1

But I already gave it. :P  See the bold:

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 03, 2015, 04:46:41 pm »
+2

But I already gave it. :P  See the bold:

:-[ :-[ :-[
I didn't use to be bad at reading...

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 04, 2015, 04:18:49 am »

In a standard solitaire game of Dominion, it's the beginning of your turn. You have no cards on any mats, no Durations in play, and no active Princes.  There are no Events on the board.

You have somehow reached the following state: none of the cards in your hand or deck cost more than zero, except for one King's Court and one Forge.

At the end of the same turn's Action phase, you play King's Court on Forge. Which of these sets could represent the three cards you gain as a result, and how?

Copper, Copper, Copper
Estate, Estate, Estate
Silver, Silver, Silver
Duchy, Duchy, Duchy
Gold, Gold, Gold
Province, Province, Province
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:05:28 am by dghunter79 »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 04, 2015, 06:40:16 am »

In a standard solitaire game of Dominion, it's the beginning of your turn. You have no cards on any mats, no Durations in play, and no active Princes.  There are no Events on the board.

You have somehow reached the following state: none of the cards in your hand or deck cost more than zero, except for one King's Court and one Forge.

At the end of the same turn's Action phase, you play King's Court on Forge. Which of these sets could represent the three cards you gain as a result, and how?

Copper, Copper, Copper
Estate, Estate, Estate
Silver, Silver, Silver
Duchy, Duchy, Duchy
Gold, Gold, Gold

All of these are pretty easy to get with lots of Highways in play? Even without Highway, my hand can simply be KC, Forge, Trusty Steed: play Trusty Steed for +2 actions +2cards, draw Moat, [whatever card I want to gain], play Moat, draw [whatever card I want to gain]x2, Play KC-Forge, trashing one card each time, and gaining the same card. Or am I misunderstanding something?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 04, 2015, 07:11:53 am »
+1

Copper, Copper, Copper
Estate, Estate, Estate
Silver, Silver, Silver
Duchy, Duchy, Duchy
Gold, Gold, Gold

All of them.
You've put your +1 card token on Forge with Teacher and after that trashed the Teacher.
Your deck is empty and the only card in your discard pile is the card you want to gain.
You play King's Court Forge and three times you draw the card you want to gain, trash it, and gain a copy.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 04, 2015, 08:20:33 am »
+1

err... even more simple:

After that moment
you play two more Highways, then KC Forge and don't trash anything, just gain any card which suits you, because they all cost zero.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1785 on: June 04, 2015, 08:32:36 am »

Copper, Copper, Copper
Estate, Estate, Estate
Silver, Silver, Silver
Duchy, Duchy, Duchy
Gold, Gold, Gold

All of these are pretty easy to get with lots of Highways in play? Even without Highway, my hand can simply be KC, Forge, Trusty Steed: play Trusty Steed for +2 actions +2cards, draw Moat, [whatever card I want to gain], play Moat, draw [whatever card I want to gain]x2, Play KC-Forge, trashing one card each time, and gaining the same card. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Highway costs more than $0. So do Moat and [whatever card you want to gain], unless [whatever card you want to gain] is Copper.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: June 04, 2015, 10:04:20 am »

Copper, Copper, Copper
Estate, Estate, Estate
Silver, Silver, Silver
Duchy, Duchy, Duchy
Gold, Gold, Gold

Highway costs more than $0. So do Moat and [whatever card you want to gain], unless [whatever card you want to gain] is Copper.

No cards in your deck cost more than zero, besides KC and Forge. So no Moat, nothing besides $0 cost.

Here's what you do to get more than just copper.

Play Trusty Steed in a hand of KC, Forge, Copper, Copper, copper. Choose +2 actions, +2 cards. Draw Princess and nothing else. Play Princess, KC Forge with a card draw modifier token, and you can get Estates in this way.

You can also gain Gold in this way. Draw Princess/Bag Of Gold, and you can play BoG, and choose to either play or not play Princess. Either way, you end up drawing it for each trash, getting 3 gains as a result for Gold.

You can also gain Silvers via this method. Have a hand of KC, Forge, Trusty Steed, with the same Forge Coin Token Draw. Play Steed as Gain 4 Silvers and 2 Actions, forge Silver for Silver.

You can also gain duchies theoretically, if you can get the gained Silvers in hand without running out of actions while playing Princess. Just trash 3 Silver, and don't touch the 4th one. Sadly, I cannot get to this game state so far.

Even harder is gaining Province, which requires you to get all 4 Silvers in hand AND the BoG's Gold in hand, still having to play Princess. Trash Gold and 4Silvers, and you can gain/Trash Province 3 times as well.

It's possible to gain everything, but having enough actions to do it is the challenge.

I considered Followers Draw and Ruined Village with +action tokens on them. So far nothing, but knowing DG, there has to be some elegant beautiful solution.

If you can prove Duchy, you can likely prove Province.

The problem is piss poor draw. If you can find the draw and the actions to implement it, you'll go very far. Using Followers/Ruined Village is as if you didn't even have them in hand.

Transmute could maybe get you going, if you're allowed to use it, since it's technically 0$, but I think P eliminates it from contention.

EDIT: DUH. Madman makes all gains easily possible, I don't even need to prove it.

Problem solved. :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:04:17 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: June 04, 2015, 10:40:33 am »
+1

Copper, Copper, Copper
Estate, Estate, Estate
Silver, Silver, Silver
Duchy, Duchy, Duchy
Gold, Gold, Gold

No cards in your deck cost more than zero, besides KC and Forge. The only thing you can gain with the set of rules seems to be Copper. Perhaps your hand is just full of curses, I don't see a reason to gain tons of copper unless you have coin tokens on Forge for more economy, as well as card draw.

Here's what you do to get more than just copper.

Play Trusty Steed in a hand of KC, Forge, Copper, Copper, copper. Choose +2 actions, +2 cards. Draw Princess and nothing else. Play Princess, KC Forge with a card draw modifier token, and you can get Estates in this way.

You can also gain Gold in this way. Draw Princess/Bag Of Gold, and you can play BoG, and choose to either play or not play Princess. Either way, you end up drawing it for each trash, getting 3 gains as a result for Gold.

You can also gain Silvers via this method. Have a hand of KC, Forge, Trusty Steed, with the same Forge Coin Token Draw. Play Steed as Gain 4 Silvers and 2 Actions, forge Silver for Silver.

You can also gain duchies theoretically, if you can get the gained Silvers in hand without running out of actions while playing Princess. Just trash 3 Silver, and don't touch the 4th one. Sadly, I cannot get to this game state so far.

Even harder is gaining Province, which requires you to get all 4 Silvers in hand AND the BoG's Gold in hand, still having to play Princess. Trash Gold and 4Silvers, and you can gain/Trash Province 3 times as well.

It's possible to gain everything, but having enough actions to do it is the challenge.

I considered Followers Draw and Ruined Village with +action tokens on them. So far nothing, but knowing DG, there has to be some elegant beautiful solution.

If you can prove Duchy, you can likely prove Province.

You can probably use Madman to get the Actions you need.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: June 04, 2015, 11:02:25 am »
+1

I didn't notice Madman, but I was still editing my post on my phone, and I didn't see your post when I thought of it dude, but thanks, Madman makes anything possible. And why freaking stop at Province? Let's get Platinum!

Trash 3 Silver, trash Platinum twice. Too easy.

Let's get COLONY.

If you think outside the box a bit:

Play Followers, Trash Gold and Silver and your new Estate, trash Colony twice.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: June 04, 2015, 01:10:18 pm »

I didn't notice Madman, but I was still editing my post on my phone, and I didn't see your post when I thought of it dude, but thanks, Madman makes anything possible. And why freaking stop at Province? Let's get Platinum!

Let's get COLONY.

Ah, forgot to request no tokens. Knew there was some new thing I'd forgotten.

Ok, so how about without tokens?

Nicely done, though.

EDIT: Also, at the start of the turn there are no cards in the discard that cost more than zero.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:46:51 pm by dghunter79 »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: June 04, 2015, 02:14:26 pm »

Let's get COLONY.

Ah, forgot to request no tokens. Knew there was some new thing I'd forgotten.

Ok, so how about without tokens?

Nicely done, though.

EDIT: Also, no cards in the discard, also, that cost more than zero.

So no Silver gaining by Trusty Steed. Guh.. I'll have to think. No trashing to regain. So that kills a lot of options.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: June 04, 2015, 02:46:02 pm »

I don't think he ruled out the Steed gaining did he?
I think he just got rid of the token, killing the ability to draw the first gained card to generate the next 2. 

You can obviously still do Copper.

Playing Princess makes Estates cost 0, so that works.

Turning 3 Steed Silvers to Silver should also be easy.

Gold, You can get with the 4 Steed Silvers and the Gold from Bag of Gold

I don't see any way to come up with the cost requirements to Gain 3 Duchies or Provinces with just 4 Silvers, 1 Estate, 1 Gold and Princess.  I think the only other $0 we haven't looked at is Mercenary, and I don't think it does anything for you.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: June 04, 2015, 02:49:15 pm »

When you gain the silvers, your deck gets discarded, a fact you often forget when playing Goko. And no higher than 0 cost can be in the discard, making this a tricky problem that must be tackled with surgical precision.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: June 04, 2015, 02:51:52 pm »

I think at least one of these is impossible. But thankfully, Madman opens a lot of doors.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: June 04, 2015, 03:33:07 pm »
+1

dghunter79 would have to confirm, but I am pretty sure the no higher than 0 cost in the discard was just a clarification on this statement...

(because people here like to be pedantic and would just say they started with 3 Provinces in their discard because it isn't their deck.)

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: June 04, 2015, 09:44:15 pm »

dghunter79 would have to confirm, but I am pretty sure the no higher than 0 cost in the discard was just a clarification on this statement...

(because people here like to be pedantic and would just say they started with 3 Provinces in their discard because it isn't their deck.)

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. And I can't argue that people are being pedantic (this time) because my solution is quite pedantic as well!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: June 04, 2015, 11:39:42 pm »

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. And I can't argue that people are being pedantic (this time) because my solution is quite pedantic as well!

So all gains are possible? Hrm...

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: June 04, 2015, 11:51:05 pm »

Copper is easy.
Estate is a simple Princess play.
Silver is a simple Madman/Trusty Steed play.

Only possible gains you can do are Trusty Steed, Followers, and Bag of Gold. Only possible cost modifiers are Princess. Mercenary gives you coin and draw, but your goal is not to buy things, but to gain via trashing with Forge. Madman is primary draw and action giver. Diadem is most likely irrelevant. I can't see a possible Peddler play here, Peddler is $8 at the start of your turn, so that can't happen logically.

Proving Duchy, Gold, and Province are trickier.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1798 on: June 05, 2015, 08:41:05 am »

Copper, Copper, Copper
Estate, Estate, Estate
Silver, Silver, Silver
Duchy, Duchy, Duchy
Gold, Gold, Gold

Any of them.  You play cost-reducers until everything costs $0 (the cost-reducers are no longer in your deck nor your hand -- they're in play).  Then you Forge $0s into $0s.

EDIT: Why does this have to be a standard solitaire game?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:42:48 am by Dingan »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1799 on: June 05, 2015, 08:47:21 am »

Any of them.  You play cost-reducers until everything costs $0 (the cost-reducers are no longer in your deck nor your hand -- they're in play).

Princess is the only cost-reducer that you can have in a deck where no card except for King's Court and Forge cost more than $0, and you can play only one of it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 139  All

Page created in 2.407 seconds with 20 queries.