Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 817010 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1375 on: March 22, 2015, 11:42:52 am »
+3

How does Juliet know Romeo is trying to send her a message?

Why else would he reveal his Reactions multiple times?
And the other players wouldn't notice this?

Romeo is revealing the reactions as the other players blink.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 22, 2015, 01:42:11 pm »

What is the most things you can do (play, gain, draw, etc) to a single card without losing track of it?  And which card is it?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:48:07 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 22, 2015, 02:04:13 pm »

What is the most things you can do (play, gain, draw, etc) to a single card without losing track of it?  And which card is it?

Stash?

You can play, gain, draw, and trash it, and you'll always know where it is.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 22, 2015, 02:30:14 pm »
+1

Reveal, Unbounded, Moat~

(or any other reveal that doesn't discard)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 22, 2015, 05:23:46 pm »

Let me rephrase: what is the most DIFFERENT things you can do?  Andy by "losing track", I mean the "lose track" rule.  So once Stash is in your discard pile, and something else goes on top of it, you've lost track of it.

Let's take an example: Feast!
-I draw it (with Village, perhaps)
-I play it
-I trash it (its own effect)

Three discrete things I can do with Feast.  What are the most discrete things I can do with a card without losing track of it, and which is it?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: March 22, 2015, 05:56:15 pm »

Native Village:

You can draw it, play it, set it aside onto the mat, put it into your hand from the mat.

Rats:

You can draw it, play it, trash with it, gain it, get a benefit on trashing it?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:58:25 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 22, 2015, 06:08:40 pm »
+2

Horse traders can be bought, gained, drawn, discarded, revealed, set aside, returned to hand, trashed, topdecked, or played. I can't think of anything else that can happen to a card. If we restrict it to one turn then I can still do all that:

I play crossroads, black market, two copper, buy Fortress and gain Fortress and topdeck it with Watchtower. Now I play Watchtower and draw Fortress, Procession, Prince, Cellar, and two Scouts. Now there is nothing left in my deck. I discard Fortress with cellar and redraw it. Now I Procession the Fortress, play the Fortress twice, trash the Fortress and put it in my hand. Now I play Prince, reveal Fortress and set it aside with Prince.

That's a nice round 10 things.

Certainly the lose-track rule has not been invoked, but I don't know if you would consider the Fortress lost track of at any point. I don't think there is anything else you can do to a card in Dominion (hopefully there are more with Adventures!)

EDIT: oh wait there are more. Pass to the left, return to supply...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:13:37 pm by liopoil »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: March 22, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

How does Juliet know Romeo is trying to send her a message?

Why else would he reveal his Reactions multiple times?
And the other players wouldn't notice this?

They notice, but don't know Morse code.

Edit: He could also count the cards in his draw pile and spell out something by stopping at a certain count, where each number stands for a letter's index in the alphabet. The other players are toddlers and can't read. They just learnt all cards by heart so they can play at all.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:14:51 pm by Asper »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 22, 2015, 08:19:38 pm »

liopoil got it.  I thought the "losing track" thing would make it obvious that it's the same card, doing things to it over the course of a turn - technically, you lost track of it when you reshuffled to draw it with Cellar.  Topdecking with Scavenger solves that problem.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1384 on: March 25, 2015, 07:15:18 am »

I play 1 and only 1 Thrown Room this turn, and I use it on a Tactician.  But this Thrown Room stays in play (in 'duration') until next turn.  How?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 25, 2015, 07:49:12 am »
+4

I play 1 and only 1 Thrown Room this turn, and I use it on a Tactician.  But this Thrown Room stays in play (in 'duration') until next turn.  How?

It was played with KC and used on another Duration, too? It was Processed, gained from the trash and played on another duration? The card "Thrown Room" is not Throne Room, but a Lighthouse (Room) you threw on the table? You forgot to clean it up? You cheat?

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1386 on: March 25, 2015, 07:55:12 am »

It was played with KC and used on another Duration, too? It was Processed, gained from the trash and played on another duration? The card "Thrown Room" is not Throne Room, but a Lighthouse (Room) you threw on the table? You forgot to clean it up? You cheat?

First or second was what I was thinking, although those other things are entirely plausible.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: March 25, 2015, 08:52:28 am »
+1

Here's one: Use the maximum number of different Reactions in the course of a single attack.
Alsio, what is the max you can get before the attack even takes place?
I got to 8 and 7 , respectively.

Edit: Here's a hint: I can reach the first number even when Lighthouse is out.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:28:42 am by Asper »

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:46 pm »
+1

Starting hand of Moat, Secret Chamber, Horse Traders, Beggar, and Watchtower. Reveal Moat and Secret Chamber, draw Market Square and Trader, put back Moat and Secret Chamber, reveal Horse Traders, reveal Beggar, reveal Watchtower to trash a gained Silver, discard Market Square to gain a Gold, reveal Trader to replace it with a Silver and complete the circle of stupidity.

That gets to the 7 before the Attack hits. My first thought was that #8 would be Tunnel, but it doesn't seem to get along with Moat. Instead, Fool's Gold should do it. You draw it with a Council Room earlier in the turn, then an opponent has to gain a Province during the Attack. Swindler could make it happen with 3+ players, but even in 2-player Dame Natalie could do it with enough cost reducers.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1389 on: March 25, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »

Here's one: Use the maximum number of different Reactions in the course of a single attack.

Can't your opponent just play a bunch of Council Rooms or Governors, giving you a bunch of reaction cards in hand, then play an attack which causes them to react?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: March 25, 2015, 02:06:49 pm »

Can't your opponent just play a bunch of Council Rooms or Governors, giving you a bunch of reaction cards in hand, then play an attack which causes them to react?

Sure, but the majority of Reactions cares about other things then playing an attack.

TheOthin gave a perfectly valid answer.

Though Trader becomes less stupid if it helps emptying the Silver pile to end the game early. Also it's possible to have Tunnel in there instead of Moat (Dame Natalie, or Highway/Saboteur, for example).

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1391 on: March 25, 2015, 02:19:21 pm »

Sure, but the majority of Reactions cares about other things then playing an attack.

Though Trader becomes less stupid if it helps emptying the Silver pile to end the game early. Also it's possible to have Tunnel in there instead of Moat (Dame Natalie, or Highway/Saboteur, for example).

I guess I might not understand the puzzle.  I can play 10 reactions from 1 attack -- I have 5 Traders in hand, opponent plays 5 Council Rooms, I draw 5 more Traders, opponent plays Witch, I reveal a Trader to instead gain a Silver, then continue to react other 9 Traders in the same way for this Silver.  I could do something similar with Secret Chamber, etc.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: March 25, 2015, 03:22:52 pm »
+2

I guess I might not understand the puzzle.  I can play 10 reactions from 1 attack -- I have 5 Traders in hand, opponent plays 5 Council Rooms, I draw 5 more Traders, opponent plays Witch, I reveal a Trader to instead gain a Silver, then continue to react other 9 Traders in the same way for this Silver.  I could do something similar with Secret Chamber, etc.

You missed the specification of "different" Reactions. Reactions like Moat can be revealed unlimited times even with just one.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 01, 2015, 05:35:00 pm »

Imagine a swindler game, where t is 20 turns, and x is the number of f**ks I give. As t increases, x approaches 0.

Given
x = 1; t = 0
and
x = 0; t = 20

What is x when t = 7?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:37:09 pm by Seprix »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 01, 2015, 05:38:55 pm »

Imagine a swindler game, where t is 20 turns, and x is the number of f**ks I give. As t increases, x approaches 0.

Given
x = 1; t = 0
and
x = 0; t = 20

What is x when t = 7?

Trick question.  It says t=20 turns at the start, so all the other parts of the question that say "t = 0" or "t = 7" are already false.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: April 01, 2015, 05:41:10 pm »

Given
x = 1; t = 0
and
x = 0; t = 20

What is x when t = 7?

Trick question.  It says t=20 turns at the start, so all the other parts of the question that say "t = 0" or "t = 7" are already false.

Dang it. :(

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 08, 2015, 06:10:52 pm »

Your hand is just two cards - one gives choices, one doesn't stack with Throne Room. An opponent plays an attack. You play the choice card, taking a different choice then you would have taken if the player had not played the attack. What are your cards, what is the attack?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 08, 2015, 06:21:45 pm »

Your hand is just two cards - one gives choices, one doesn't stack with Throne Room. An opponent plays an attack. You play the choice card, taking a different choice then you would have taken if the player had not played the attack. What are your cards, what is the attack?

Torturer could push you into trashing with Steward instead of one of the other options.  Dunno about the second card though.

The intended solution might also involve Margrave (which still impacts a 2 card hand) and draw-to-X (which doesn't stack with Throne Room).

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 08, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »

Torturer could push you into trashing with Steward instead of one of the other options.  Dunno about the second card though.

The intended solution might also involve Margrave (which still impacts a 2 card hand) and draw-to-X (which doesn't stack with Throne Room).

That's technically a solution, but i'd like to have the second card involved in one way or another.

Edit: I also want to make clear that the second card can be something like Secret Chamber, where you technically can do something on both plays, but where this doesn't do anything you couldn't achieve with just one play.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:33:20 pm by Asper »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 08, 2015, 06:31:10 pm »
+1

Could be Torturer, Hamlet, Library... Not sure if discarding two cards instead is what was meant by different choice.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.