Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 815657 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1250 on: February 12, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »
+2

An opponent's Saboteur hits one of your cards. You have a standard 5 card hand. As a result of this attack, you gain 16 Gold. How is this possible?
He has a Highway in play, the Saboteur skips over 8 Tunnels and hits a Cultist, whose on-trash effect gives you three extra cards and then you discard 8 Market Squares from your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: February 12, 2015, 01:56:19 pm »

An opponent's Saboteur hits one of your cards. You have a standard 5 card hand. As a result of this attack, you gain 16 Gold. How is this possible?
He has a Highway in play, the Saboteur skips over 8 Tunnels and hits a Cultist, whose on-trash effect gives you three extra cards and then you discard 8 Market Squares from your hand.

Perfect.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:58:56 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1252 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:43 pm »

Perfect.

He hits your Cultist, which gives you your 3 Madmen, enabling a megaturn in which you gain like 50 golds.  Without the extra 3 Madmen, you wouldn't have been able to do this, therefore this is a "result" of him playing Saboteur.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 12, 2015, 02:08:18 pm »

Perfect.

He hits your Cultist, which gives you your 3 Madmen, enabling a megaturn in which you gain like 50 golds.  Without the extra 3 Madmen, you wouldn't have been able to do this, therefore this is a "result" of him playing Saboteur.

Those are separate actions outside of the attack.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1254 on: February 12, 2015, 02:10:34 pm »

Perfect.

So is you revealing Market Squares.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 12, 2015, 02:12:28 pm »

Perfect.

The attack is not resolved until all reactions that are viable are done being played, whether you use them or not.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1256 on: February 12, 2015, 02:13:22 pm »

Perfect.

No, that is more like separate actions inside the attack.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1257 on: February 12, 2015, 02:22:46 pm »

I can think of 3 different situations in which when you play a Tournament, and your opponent reveals a Province, why you would want to play a second Tournament.  What are they?  Are there more?

Note: Mercenary and Militia are the same "situation" -- they both make your opponent discard down to 3; Library and Jack are the same "situation" -- they both draw up to X; etc.

EDIT: 4 situations

EDIT: Ok, I realize that "situation" is a very ambiguous term, and can be defined many ways.  Basically, when is it an obvious strategic move to play the second Tournament, without the need for the planets to align?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:24:38 pm by Dingan »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 12, 2015, 02:27:18 pm »
+1

I can think of 3 different situations in which when you play a Tournament, and your opponent reveals a Province, why you would want to play a second Tournament.  What are they?  Are there more?

Note: Mercenary and Militia are the same "situation" -- they both make your opponent discard down to 3; Library and Jack are the same "situation" -- they both draw up to X; etc.

EDIT: 4 situations

EDIT: Ok, I realize that "situation" is a very ambiguous term, and can be defined many ways.  Basically, when is it an obvious strategic move to play the second Tournament, without the need for the planets to align?

So three obvious ones are:

*Draw to X
*Peddler Buff
*Trash Hand (e.g., Count)

I guess another that would count is:

*Repeated Plays (Throne Room, King's Court, Procession) for the +Actions

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 12, 2015, 02:28:00 pm »
+1

-You have two provinces in hand.
-Draw to X.
-Conspirator.
-Peddler.

PPE 1

EDIT:
-menagerie.
-shanty town.
-TR/KC/Procession and no villages in the kingdom.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:32:19 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: February 12, 2015, 02:31:00 pm »

Conspirator, Menagerie, and Shanty Town could all go into an "Enabling Actions" group, maybe

Pneumatiker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 12, 2015, 04:03:20 pm »

In RL you could play a second tournament so see if you opponent reveals the same card. If not you got the extra information, that he has got at least two provinces in his hand.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 13, 2015, 03:16:57 am »
+2

Scheme - you know your opponent just drew his only Province, so you want to Scheme both your Tournaments for next turn
Minion - your opponent already discarded, and since Tournament is Ruined Village for the rest of the turn, you'd rather not draw it again instead of cards you'll actually use
Get it out of your hand so you can trash nothing for benefit(Trade Route, Bishop, etc.) or Remake one thing

Edge cases: (planets might need to be nudged a little first)
Your opponent discarded his Province to a discard attack after you played the first one
HoP - you Processioned the first Tournament, so it's not in play
Madman - you don't want to shuffle
Prince - free +1 Action
Masquerade - get it out of your hand so you don't pass it. Similarly, KC/Masquerade so you can get rid of the Province, assuming previous discard to 3 attack.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1263 on: February 13, 2015, 09:38:10 am »

A recent opponent of mine had done something like this (and I never saw it coming)...

Your deck has 1 Bane card.  You never gain any more Bane cards.  There are no discard attacks available.  How can you guarantee to have the Band card in your hand every turn for the rest of the game?

Prince+Bane does not count (I don't think that would activate the Bane anyways).

(Note: just having 5 cards in your deck including a Band card, and never buying anything else, does not guarantee because your opponent may junk you to the point where you get >5 cards.)

No shenanigans (Possession, etc.).

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 13, 2015, 09:46:56 am »
+2

Schemes?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1265 on: February 13, 2015, 10:42:31 am »
+1

Use something like Oasis to discard it, then trigger a shuffle while it's the only card in your discard pile with, for example, Mystic.

KC+Scavenger also works.

EDIT: Oh, and if the bane happens to be Crossroads, you can do the Graverobber/Crossroads/Inn/Procession/Feast golden deck.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:44:04 am by Awaclus »

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:16 am »

Use something like Oasis to discard it, then trigger a shuffle while it's the only card in your discard pile with, for example, Mystic.

KC+Scavenger also works.

The former does depend on drawing your deck without even using the Bane or Mystic, though.

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 14, 2015, 06:58:45 pm »
+3

Solution 1: The Bane card is Scheme. You play it every turn and use it to set itself on top of your deck.
Solution 2: You play KC/Scheme and the Bane card, choosing to set all three on top of your deck at the end of your turn.
Solution 3: You play Haven and set aside the Bane card.
Solution 4: You discard the Bane card during your turn, then use Inn/Herald/Scavenger to put it on top of your deck for next turn.
Solution 5: You play Courtyard/Mandarin/Count each turn, placing the Bane on top of your deck.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 14, 2015, 07:13:30 pm »
+2

Solution 1: The Bane card is Scheme. You play it every turn and use it to set itself on top of your deck.
Solution 2: You play KC/Scheme and the Bane card, choosing to set all three on top of your deck at the end of your turn.
Solution 4: You discard the Bane card during your turn, then use Inn/Herald/Scavenger to put it on top of your deck for next turn.
Solution 5: You play Courtyard/Mandarin/Count each turn, placing the Bane on top of your deck.

Haven doesn't work, though, because the card is set aside between your turns.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1269 on: February 14, 2015, 07:40:11 pm »
+6

Sure, it doesn't protect you from Young Witch. Who said anything about protecting yourself from Young Witch though? It does meet this requirement:

guarantee to have the Band card in your hand every turn for the rest of the game

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 14, 2015, 07:54:00 pm »

Solution 5: You have a (golden) deck with <5 cards in deck every turn.
Solution 5b: You have n havens (for some n), and have a (golden) deck with < 5+n cards in deck every turn.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 14, 2015, 08:26:33 pm »
+7

Sure, it doesn't protect you from Young Witch. Who said anything about protecting yourself from Young Witch though? It does meet this requirement:

guarantee to have the Band card in your hand every turn for the rest of the game

Ahh, but it says every turn, not just your own turns!

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 16, 2015, 12:33:53 am »

Yeah, I just kind of threw these out there without checking if they work. I looked at them again in the case the rest of my deck is a shuffled pile of Ruins, Curses, and whatever else I want/need to have.
1 works because it's Scheme. But then the Bane card has to be Scheme, so it doesn't work with any other Bane. I guess the rest of these need other cards in the Supply though, so I suppose there's nothing wrong with specifying the Bane card.
I'm pretty sure 2 works, since it doesn't depend on the rest of your deck. Probably the best solution for any Bane other than Scheme.
3 doesn't work, cause as eHalcyon pointed out, it has to be in your hand every turn, not just your own.
4 depends on the contents of your deck, so they don't work without more combo behind them to get all the cards you need on top of your deck every turn.
I think KC/KC/Scav/Scav/Discard/Bane works every turn, with 2 more KC's, 2 more Scav's, and another copy of the discarding action in your deck. Also, since that's 6 cards, you have to either use something that draws and discards(Hamlet, Oasis, etc.) or something that discards the top card of your deck(JoaT).
Herald and Inn work as long as you can keep buying them, but eventually you'll run out of them. You just have to be able to ensure the game ends before then, I guess.
Since the cards have to come from your hand for 5, I don't think any of them can work every turn; you'll draw up whatever you put on top last time, minus the card you used to put them on top, plus Ruins/Curses.

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 16, 2015, 12:39:40 am »

Solution 6: Buy Mandarin every turn, with the Bane being a Treasure(Fool's Gold, Loan, Masterpiece) and with sufficient other Treasure to buy Mandarin next turn.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 16, 2015, 07:14:25 am »

Solution 6: Buy Mandarin every turn, with the Bane being a Treasure(Fool's Gold, Loan, Masterpiece) and with sufficient other Treasure to buy Mandarin next turn.

Sounds like a rather short game. Or do you Ambassador it back each turn?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 139  All

Page created in 1.885 seconds with 20 queries.