Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Getting extensions on goko when having the cards  (Read 14581 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Getting extensions on goko when having the cards
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »

Developing the rules is only a small fraction of the costs to develop a game. For the physical version, you need to print the cards.

Beware of this argument. Developing the rules (including the rulebook and FAQ and card text and everything) IS the basic product you can call "Intellectual Property" (IP). It is true that the boxes include that PLUS some graphics and physical things and that Goko sells the IP + an implementation. But the only reason to forbid other implementations like Iso is IP.

That being said, I don't think we are entitled to a free version by Goko or anyone else, but I think the world would be a little better place with Iso on, and that every party making money with Dominion could still make a really good amount of money by letting it be that way. I think its really poor management by Goko or RGG or whoever to shutdown every other implementation, especially the ones that target an esentially different market. And it makes me personally like them a little less (well, I like RGG a little less for this, I had no appreciation for Goko that could be lessened by this).

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 12:23:16 pm »

Many older and well known games who also won many awards (like Carcassone) are still on BSW. I think that either means they still benefit from the publicity or at least that it is not hurting them to have it. I guess it is plausible that BSW keeps some games without charging the publisher because it helps them get more people into their patform, but I doubt BSW is paying some of those publishers for the games. I'd be very interested if someone has information on the deal between BSW and the publishers of some the well known games they carry.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »
+2

1) What do people mean when they say: "I don't want to play twice for $X"?  Do they mean the strongly object the act of paying for $X when you already payed for $X', no matter what?  Would these people complain if an expension costs $0.01 on goko?  Probably not, so they mean that the value they get from getting $X, given they already possess $X' does not justify purchasing $X for the current price.

Then these people should say what they mean, because words have meanings.  There is a major difference between these two things:

"I shouldn't have to pay $N for Y because I have X."
"Y isn't worth $N to me because I have X."

I can respect the second reason.  I can't respect the first one.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 12:25:42 pm »

...every party making money with Dominion could still make a really good amount of money by letting it be that way.

I think the people who run Goko would disagree with you.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 12:28:20 pm »

Maybe they don't even realize themselves, but when it's pretty obvious when you think about it, especially if you go to extremes like $0.01/expansion.  And we are fighting this semi-strawman a whole week now and it's getting a bit boring.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »

...every party making money with Dominion could still make a really good amount of money by letting it be that way.

Again, of course that's not what people exactly said, but there could have been a contract that let goko get their share, and it's not really the costumers problem that the contract is another one.   Of course, it is, but you get my point if you want...

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 12:35:15 pm »

Probably. That's only a marginal adding to the set of people who already disagreed with me before I started on Dominion, though, so I will just live with that.

"I shouldn't have to pay $N for Y because I have X."
"Y isn't worth $N to me because I have X."

Well, there is always "I should not have to pay for basic healthcare" or "I should not have to pay additionally for healthcare if I am already paying health insurance" or "I should not have to pay the bank yearly more than my house is worth in total". I think those are all respectable statements, at least in some (very real) contexts.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »

I just want to take this time to thank Kirian for doing my job.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »

The more pertinent question (having just bought Dark Ages on Goko), is whether a digital purchase entitles one to a physical copy!

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:52 pm »
+2

I'm sure a lot complaints about Goko would go away if there weren't so many things to complain about (Excluding money).  Because if people like the product, they'll pay for it.  If people don't like a product, they won't.  Regardless of whether Goko monopolized the field, they still need to make a decent product to make money.
A man on a mission.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 04:29:48 pm »
+1

Yep. If everyone was like "wow, Goko is so much better than iso!" it would be obvious what we're getting for our money.

As it is, it feels like goko is charging money for what other people are willing to give away for free, and preventing other people from giving it away for free. I can understand WHY they're doing it and why IP works that way, but, well, it's always going to feel weird and leave a sour taste.

At the rate that Goko is going, I do expect that in a year or two it'll be clearly better than iso was, but it'll take a while. (Right now it has some things better and some things worse. AI and single player options are way better, matchmaking/leaderboard is way worse, interface is different, some people like it some don't.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:39:35 pm by ftl »

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 05:19:25 pm »

Can we just kill the thread? The original poster and his argument were so unintelligible that he got himself banned.

kuroishin2_therevenge

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 06:15:34 pm »

Actually your arguments have been said weak from most other people here.
This user is banned!

kuroishin2_therevenge

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 06:22:57 pm »

Can we just kill the thread? The original poster and his argument were so unintelligible that he got himself banned.

No, I just was angry that people do not use their brains, just that.
I exceeded with words when I saw idiots comparing Starcraft2 and Starcraft the Boardgame.
As I said and would say forever, that would be like comparing FIFA2013 and a football match with your friends.
Dominion on Goko has same cards, same ruleset, same EVERYTHING of the card version.

And, I have to say also, that most people didn't know about apprentice.
It was a full working engine that allowed everyone to play magic for free.
It was perfectly working for a lot of time.

And for the ones complaining about software developers and making stupid irony, I say that.

1) They could put a fucking Ad. That gives you a lot of money and doesn't cost me a penny.
2) So I believe that people like the LibreOffice org are really unlucky? They developed OFFICE for free. Do you know a magic word like "OPEN SOURCE"? There's plenty of open source code. One might develop Dominion for free. I would even do it if I didn't know I would get blocked like isotropic did. It's NOT a big deal you know? Expecially if you don't want to put tons of graphics and stuff in it. It's not easy, clearly, but compared to otehr stuff it's not that much difficult.

I believe many people here are just defending a lost cause. And I believe there are Goko programmers among the ones who replied me.
By the way ban me again, I'm just speaking the truth. I know that. And many other people on isotropic on march 15th agreed with me in the public chat.
This user is banned!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 06:23:41 pm »
+6

Actually your arguments have been said weak from most other people here.

I am disappointed that kuroishin 2 is The Revenge and not Electric Boogaloo.

I believe many people here are just defending a lost cause. And I believe there are Goko programmers among the ones who replied me.

Oh man, that would be amazing.  I love conspiracy theories.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:26:44 pm by eHalcyon »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 06:37:22 pm »
+1

Better yet would have been "Kuroishin 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold."

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=314
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 06:41:41 pm »
+3

I am disappointed that kuroishin 2 is The Revenge and not Electric Boogaloo.

I like "The Revenge"! I think "Electric Boogaloo" is a bit overdone, and that's coming from someone who says it a lot.

Dominion on Goko has same cards, same ruleset, same EVERYTHING of the card version.

Now, that's not true! Let's be fair: Goko has bugs that differentiate it from the physical version.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:45:59 pm by LastFootnote »

kuroishin3_thefinalinsult

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 06:55:22 pm »

I'm so relieved you're better at banning than at replying with actual arguments.

Nobody explained why Goko couldn't work, let's say, on Ads.
Or on Open Source.
Do I pay BSW?
Do I pay the facebook games?
Why the heck should I pay Goko?

Someone reply instead of acting dicks.
This user is banned!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.992 seconds with 21 queries.