Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I notice I am confused  (Read 2883 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
I notice I am confused
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:43:10 pm »

(MoR reference! Yay!)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201109/22/game-20110922-183339-7993dbc3.html

I miscounted VP at the end, which cost me the game. Even so, I was terribly confused for the entire game anyways.

Maybe someone can figure out the dominant strategy for this. For instance, Minion + Salvager + Peddler looks promising...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: I notice I am confused
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:30:44 pm »

I pretty much banked on the fact that the game would be a hopeless and confusing mess because of YW/swindler, and that "hopeless and confusing mess" means it's hard to get to provinces, so I went duke-duchy, with contraband because at any given point duke, duchy, gold, or province might all be reasonable buys.

Looking forward to what better players say about this board. I have a feeling that "I hope my opponent is also confused" wouldn't've cut it at level 40 :) .

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:42:51 pm »

Well, Minion/Peddler is usually a strong engine but the presence of a curser and Swindler would put that idea to bed for me.  Both are excellent counters for Minion.  Given the fact that is no village on the board I wouldn't try to rely on Salvager to clean up any mess, which hurts Minion as well.

Embargo is also a card that can cause confusion.  Yeah, believe it or not i think your strategy was pretty sound.  The Duke strategy was surely a great idea, because with this Kingdom not only would a Province rush be hampered, there is also a strong chance to be able to three-pile it.

GG
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:22:36 pm »

I would worry about duchy/duke being vulnerable to swindling? But I suppose on a board where frickin' PROVINCE is vulnerable to swindling, you just have to bite the bullet.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:58:42 am »

I was thinking about that too... the greatest counter to Swindler has to be running out the Peddler stack.  Plus the old Salvage/Peddler trick.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:17:17 am »

I was thinking about that too... the greatest counter to Swindler has to be running out the Peddler stack.  Plus the old Salvage/Peddler trick.
But is it really a problem?

You're likely able to buy multiple Duchies/Dukes per shuffle from turn X and they can only be Swindled into Minions and Contrabands, which isn't all that bad. More so, it's not said that the Swindler will hit one of those every time. It will also hit Coppers and Curses and turn them into each other. And we have the Estates which will simply remain Estates or become useful SCs.

Defending against the Swindler is neither necessary nor possible, due to the incredible loss of tempo you get from going full Minion-Salvager-Peddler. I don't think you can ever pull this off, especially because Salvager is too slow and you'll often find a Salvager and Minion in hand and have to decide to gamble for a new hand.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 12:26:52 pm »

Salvager really isn't slow. And you can always salvage a province/buy a province to speed up the game. The peddler/salvager player thus has control of tempo, and can prevent the duchy/duke player from accumulating enough dukes/duchies to end the game. Maybe. Because of how much load a duchy/duke strategy requires, it's quite possible for the peddler/salvager player to win while the duchy/duke runs out of steam.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 01:13:37 pm »

I just want to pop in to say that embargoing duke really kills duke strategies, and minion attacks hurt them pretty badly as well.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 02:31:38 pm »

minion attacks hurt them pretty badly as well.
Except with Horse Traders of course ;D

(on the .03% of boards containing all 3 cards)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.069 seconds with 21 queries.