Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gold rush!  (Read 3079 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Gold rush!
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:56:09 pm »
+1

Some off-the-cuff ideas (haven't attempted to price the first three) related to Gold.

Prospector - Action

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is

- a Gold, put it into your hand.
- a Prospector, discard it and gain a Gold in hand.

Otherwise, either discard the revealed card or put it back.

(They "pan for gold", so yeah.)

Gold Rush - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

If you have three or more Gold Rushes in play, gain a Gold.

(An alternate take on the 'treasure map' idea; they're easier to line up and can be lined up repeatedly, but you need to line up more of them for a smaller reward.)

Con Artist - Action
+1 Action

Set aside a card from your hand face down. The opponent to your left chooses whether or not to reveal it.
If you reveal it: put it back into your hand. If it was a Gold, gain a Province.
Otherwise: +$3. At the beginning of your cleanup phase, discard the set-aside card.

("Play an arbitrary card as if it were a Gold", combined with a bluffing game. The reward for honesty needs to be pretty big, because it's basically a blank card whenever you're honest and don't get called. There needs to not be a real penalty for getting caught bluffing because it's often difficult or impossible to be honest.)

Archimedes - Action - $2
+1 Card
+1 Action

In games using this, add Electrum to the Supply.

Electrum - Treasure - $5
Worth $3 if you have an Archimedes in play, otherwise $2.

(Just playing with the story of weighing the King's crown. Notwithstanding the effects of having a cantrip Action in your deck, opening Archimedes/Electrum is strictly worse than if you could open Gold/nothing, but on weak boards it might be your best option on a 5/2 split, so I think these prices are okay.)

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Re: Gold rush!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

Gold Rush - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

If you have three or more Gold Rushes in play, gain a Gold.

(An alternate take on the 'treasure map' idea; they're easier to line up and can be lined up repeatedly, but you need to line up more of them for a smaller reward.)

Do you intend that if someone plays four of them, they get two gold?  And if five, three?

If not, you might want add text to indicate that gold is gained during cleanup.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:52:59 pm »

Do you intend that if someone plays four of them, they get two gold?  And if five, three?

Yes. It seems consistent with the change in "theme" that the card gets by being a cantrip.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:44:27 pm »

Prospector really needs to give +1 action, in my opinion.
Well you *do* need a signature...

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »

Why?

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:03:18 pm »

You want Prospector to be more than a ruined village, so you want to reveal lots of golds with it, so you need to discard a lot of Prospectors, which require to buy a lot of Prospectors, which causes a lot of terminal collisions, unless you have a lot of luck.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 06:25:51 pm »
+1

Why?

In most cases, playing Prospector has pretty low odds of providing any benefit, so rather than having a player waste time wondering whether or not to risk their only action on a Prospector gamble, you should just give them the +1 action so that it's a no brainer to play Prospector whenever you have one in hand (barring edge cases).

Ultimately though, I think it need more still.  Probably it should be a cantrip to make a Prospector flood more viable, since without flooding your deck with Prospectors, they aren't likely to be effective.  Right now, if your top card is a Gold then you put it into your hand.  You know what other card does that?  Pearl Diver.  Only Pearl Diver put that's top card into your hand even if it isn't Gold.  And it's nonterminal.  And it does its wacky Pearl Diver shtick.  And still it's considered relatively worthless, and that's for a $2 card.

Prospector has a chance of gaining Gold to your hand if you are lucky.  But really, buying Gold directly isn't so hard.  Why flood your deck with otherwise completely worthless terminals in the hope that maybe you'll get a "free" Gold now and then?  I assure you that's not the best path to gaining Golds, and certainly doesn't appear to offer you much to do with the Gold you gain.
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:00:35 pm »

I agree with SirPeebles. Make Prospector a cantrip. I'd price it at $2 for the same reason Native Village and Fool's Gold are $2: you need a bunch of them for them to be most effective.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:52:22 pm »

Prospector without any vanilla benefit really sucks. Make it a cantrip.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 01:51:22 pm »
+1

Con Artist - Action
+1 Action

Set aside a card from your hand face down. The opponent to your left chooses whether or not to reveal it.
If you reveal it: put it back into your hand. If it was a Gold, gain a Province.
Otherwise: +$3.

Vicious in a two-player game with Possession!

At the beginning of your cleanup phase, discard the set-aside card.

I would prefer "At the beginning of your cleanup phase, add the set-aside card to your hand", so you usually can discard it without disclosing if you were bluffing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.