Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I'll miss Isotropic!  (Read 10255 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: I'll miss Isotropic!
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 11:01:46 am »

There are later ports of cartridge games to discs which require loading times.  I remember being really excited about Final Fantasy Chronicles being released on Playstation -- it was basically a port of Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger with a few new features.  But the loading times made these classics so unbearable.   :'(
Well you *do* need a signature...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 11:01:49 am »
+4

My reaction to this thread since my last post:

Whhaaaaaa...????

The loading screen.  You dislike.  The loading screen.

Now, this is just my experience, running on Chrome on my ever-so-slowly-getting-crappier laptop computer (which you can view on my YouTube channel) while also running VIDEO RECORDING SOFTWARE:

-The site loads up quickly, if not instantaneously.
-At a reasonable hour, I can typically find a game in less than a minute.  Often, people join and leave my game while I'm starting my recording software because FIVE SECONDS IS TOO LONG FOR THEM.
-Sometimes the first minute or so of the game is laggy, but typically only if I'm running other programs, such as Skype or Steam (which are enormous RAM hogs).
-If you look at my videos, the speed of the game is dictated almost entirely by two factors: 1) How fast the other player operates 2) How many turns the game takes.  This suggests game speed is now platform independent.
-Over the course of ~3 months and 124 videos, there have been a couple bugs, most of which have been fixed.

Now, I do have some problems with Goko.  The difference here is that I'm trying to make constructive criticism to make Goko better, whereas so many of you just want to see it fail and die.  Goko is what we have and there is no changing it - why not try to make it better?  Get on getsatisfaction.

-The forced resign option needs to come up a hell of a lot faster.
-This has not happened to me since, I dunno, December, but apparently other people get dropped out of games.  That should probably be looked into.
-Has the Scheme/Hermit thing been fixed?  I haven't checked in a while.
-An iso-like automatch would be nice.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 07:00:14 pm »

Maybe if it had automatch I would tolerate all the other things that are awful about it.
My opponent has more loot than me

reinoe

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 07:14:42 pm »

I'll definitely miss Isotropic.  I found the fake artwork on the cards charming.  2/3 of my Goko games just froze for no reason.  I know it wasn't the connection because I was playing dominion on Isotropic at the same time.
This user is banned!

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 07:17:15 pm »

Ashersky, you say that cartridge-based console games have loading screens.  I don't remember those.  Could you give an example?

Thanks Ozle.

I feel like OoT had loading screens between times and places.  But I can't remember if N64 was cartridge or disc.

Plenty of DS games have loading screens.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 09:31:59 pm »

Ashersky, you say that cartridge-based console games have loading screens.  I don't remember those.  Could you give an example?

Thanks Ozle.

I feel like OoT had loading screens between times and places.  But I can't remember if N64 was cartridge or disc.

I think you're wrong about Ocarina of Time having loading screens.  At least for the N64 cartridge version.  There are probably loading screens in the Gamecube port.

As for DS games, I'm not as familiar those.  But regardless, the original statement referred to console games, not handhelds.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:34:06 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 09:42:09 pm »

The owl might feel like a loading screen.  But it's not.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 09:46:24 pm »

The owl might feel like a loading screen.  But it's not.

Hah, I made one of those. In, I guess, Middle School is how you call it, I made one of my first programs for national competition and I had a part of code that called system sleep and wrote "Loading..." on screen for few seconds (basically did apsolutely nothing), for no reason but to have loading screen, cuz every program needs a loading screen, right? :D

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 10:12:34 pm »

Thanks Ozle.

I think you're wrong about Ocarina of Time having loading screens.  At least for the N64 cartridge version.  There are probably loading screens in the Gamecube port.

As for DS games, I'm not as familiar those.  But regardless, the original statement referred to console games, not handhelds.

Here's a discussion with lists:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4945.html

Mostly SNES titles.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 11:22:02 pm »

My reaction to this thread since my last post:

Whhaaaaaa...????

The loading screen.  You dislike.  The loading screen.

Now, this is just my experience, running on Chrome on my ever-so-slowly-getting-crappier laptop computer (which you can view on my YouTube channel) while also running VIDEO RECORDING SOFTWARE:

-The site loads up quickly, if not instantaneously.
-At a reasonable hour, I can typically find a game in less than a minute.  Often, people join and leave my game while I'm starting my recording software because FIVE SECONDS IS TOO LONG FOR THEM.
-Sometimes the first minute or so of the game is laggy, but typically only if I'm running other programs, such as Skype or Steam (which are enormous RAM hogs).
-If you look at my videos, the speed of the game is dictated almost entirely by two factors: 1) How fast the other player operates 2) How many turns the game takes.  This suggests game speed is now platform independent.
-Over the course of ~3 months and 124 videos, there have been a couple bugs, most of which have been fixed.

Now, I do have some problems with Goko.  The difference here is that I'm trying to make constructive criticism to make Goko better, whereas so many of you just want to see it fail and die.  Goko is what we have and there is no changing it - why not try to make it better?  Get on getsatisfaction.

-The forced resign option needs to come up a hell of a lot faster.
-This has not happened to me since, I dunno, December, but apparently other people get dropped out of games.  That should probably be looked into.
-Has the Scheme/Hermit thing been fixed?  I haven't checked in a while.
-An iso-like automatch would be nice.

I'm not 100% sure if Scheme/Hermit has been fixed. But, today, I played Scheme/Herbalist and was forced to play Scheme before Herbalist, so if I choose to return Herbalist I was never giving the option to return a treasure to the top of my deck. I was too lazy to post this on GetSatisfaction.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 21 queries.