Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tried the Native Village/Bridge strategy. Didn't work. Why?  (Read 4081 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Tried the Native Village/Bridge strategy. Didn't work. Why?
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:16:54 am »

I tried playing the Native Village/Bridge strategy, but it seemed to take forever, and I lost to someone who played a similar (but less focused) strategy.  What went wrong?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/08/game-20130308-051459-6cdf6372.html

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Tried the Native Village/Bridge strategy. Didn't work. Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:24:07 am »
+1

Seems like you have not really many NV.  You buy the second one turn7, this way you probably do not have many cards in the Village, and the cycling is a bit slow.

Now I don't want to suppose to buy extra NV instead of Bridges, because the problem usually is more to get the Bridges than the Villages, so you got a bit "lucky" you could afford that many Bridges that early [excpet that in T6 you could have bought a free NV].

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:27:31 am »

1) Not enough Native Villages early.

2) Buying too many non NV / Bridge cards.  While Workshop would seem to be good, it just makes it harder to get enough cards on your NV mat.  Highway isn't a terrible addition, but Militia doesn't help, etc.
A man on a mission.

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:38:57 am »

Seems like you have not really many NV.  You buy the second one turn7, this way you probably do not have many cards in the Village, and the cycling is a bit slow.
But we were both rushing the Bridges.  I was concerned I was going to lose that race.  It's hard to pull off that combo with only 4 Bridges, right?

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:08 am »

Again, I was in a race for Bridges.  How do I ensure I get most of the Bridges, if I have to stop to buy Native Villages?

2) Buying too many non NV / Bridge cards.  While Workshop would seem to be good, it just makes it harder to get enough cards on your NV mat.  Highway isn't a terrible addition, but Militia doesn't help, etc.
Do you just buy nothing after you've grabbed the Native Villages and Bridges, then?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:47:20 am »
+1

But we were both rushing the Bridges.  I was concerned I was going to lose that race.  It's hard to pull off that combo with only 4 Bridges, right?
That's why I said I wouldn't advice you to stop for Bridges because usually you will not have to, there will be a $2 or a $3 in the early shuffles such that you have to buy Villages.  Here probably you should have taken NV over Bridge one time, but don't ask me when.  And bought the additional one in T6, but don't know if that had helped much, given you buy two at T7.
There are also Highways, so the Bridge-split is not that important.  While Bridge is clearly better because it also gives you the buy, you can probably win with 5 buys in total.  You also need the mega-turn to go off, and for this you need cards set aside...

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:00:56 am »

I'm thinking my loss had a lot to do with the fact that my opponent got lucky by buying a Gold on Turn 3.  Without that his deck is a lot less powerful early, which gives me more time to hit the megaturn and less pressure to pick up so many Bridges.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:21:39 am »

Native village + bridge can fail on draws. If the native villages and bridges get out of balance then you can lose spending or just not get cards onto the mat fast enough. You had only 3 cards on the mat by turn 9 and this wasn't going to be enough. Adding extra cards like militia wasn't going to get the cards onto the mat any faster. Perhaps a rebalancing of the deck with caravans or libraries might have worked.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:02:21 am »
+2

Again, I was in a race for Bridges.  How do I ensure I get most of the Bridges, if I have to stop to buy Native Villages?

You're in a race for NVs too, even if your opponent doesn't realize it. Workshops can sub in for the last few bridges, but there's no substitute for villages.

CopperrCopper

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 11:35:12 am »

You're in a race for NVs too, even if your opponent doesn't realize it. Workshops can sub in for the last few bridges, but there's no substitute for villages.

Thats a really good point. Especially with highways thrown into the mix.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 02:18:32 pm »
+1

I'm thinking my loss had a lot to do with the fact that my opponent got lucky by buying a Gold on Turn 3.  Without that his deck is a lot less powerful early, which gives me more time to hit the megaturn and less pressure to pick up so many Bridges.

Not true at all. The Gold is a bad buy because it just doesn't do anything other than to provide $.

There is definitely a hybrid strategy present on this board that also makes use of Highway for cost reduction, Caravan for draw, and Workshop for extra gains. I can't say for sure how it will play out. When playing NV/Bridge, it is important to not lose sight of your final goal, which is to end by 3-pile. In order to do that, you need more NVs early (turn 5 should have been a pair of NVs IMO; you already had 3 Bridges) and you should be looking for Caravans later if you don't have any options.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:05 pm »

if the bridges split 6-4 but the native villages split 7-3, you will laugh your way to the bank here. just substitute workshops for bridges; they're just as good at getting provinces as another bridge after you play four bridges, and your opponent can never play more than 3 4 actions in a turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.357 seconds with 22 queries.