Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Quick question.  (Read 8326 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question.
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 10:14:16 am »

Hold on, not only is there no forced-resign, ratings aren't affected when you disconnect?

Yikes.

Because there's no reconnect yet, the second part is the only way to be fair to those who accidentally disconnect.  I'm not sure why there's no force-resign button though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 10:14:57 am »

After 25 posts, I am starting to believe this was not a quick question as was promised!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:27 am »
+6

After 25 posts, I am starting to believe this was not a quick question as was promised!

Nobody promised a quick answer.
A man has no signature

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 10:46:36 am »

Definitely not a good feature, but I don't think there's something fundamentally wrong with the system, I guess the only lacking thing is some cutoff to make all negative rankings count as 0 (or maybe as a very small positive number) when recalculating points.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 01:22:34 pm »

Definitely not a good feature, but I don't think there's something fundamentally wrong with the system, I guess the only lacking thing is some cutoff to make all negative rankings count as 0 (or maybe as a very small positive number) when recalculating points.
No, it's bad full stop - if you have to truncate an adjustment up, speaking as someone who has looked into these kinds of things, that's a problem.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 06:07:01 pm »
+2

A few games being lost when you disconnect seems to be a small price to pay for eliminating the possibility for extreme abuse.  I can't imagine why anyone would argue that protecting disconnected players outweighs the integrity of the entire rating system. 

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »

I think you can get negative ranking only from beating the Serf Bot, which is very weak and only gets matched against beginning or low ranked players. I think all other bots have ranking high enough to guarantee positive ranking even to top ranked players (though not many points and you lose a lot whenever the bot wins).

Currently I'm lucky to be at the level where bots are decent opponents for me (I have around 60% win rate against them) so playing on Goko is great experience for me without having to cope with all the multiplayer problems. I hope they fix those problems before I learn to play better.
Any rating system that makes you lose points from a win, at least for someone with a non-provisional rating, is pretty messed up.

You could lose rankings on iso from a win.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 07:06:51 pm »

We're not giving up hope Goko might actually do something better than iso.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »
+2

Would you go so far as to say that if you don't get some Shelters that you'll fade away?
I'm so sorry your post was the second last on the page, so you didn't get the satisfaction of seeing it appreciated. I've +1'ed it out of sympathy for you poor devil.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 07:37:31 pm »

Would you go so far as to say that if you don't get some Shelters that you'll fade away?
I'm so sorry your post was the second last on the page, so you didn't get the satisfaction of seeing it appreciated. I've +1'ed it out of sympathy for you poor devil.
He's also 3 days late.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 09:29:12 pm »

It wasn't my joke anyway, second man in and all...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:48 pm »

I think you can get negative ranking only from beating the Serf Bot, which is very weak and only gets matched against beginning or low ranked players. I think all other bots have ranking high enough to guarantee positive ranking even to top ranked players (though not many points and you lose a lot whenever the bot wins).

Currently I'm lucky to be at the level where bots are decent opponents for me (I have around 60% win rate against them) so playing on Goko is great experience for me without having to cope with all the multiplayer problems. I hope they fix those problems before I learn to play better.
Any rating system that makes you lose points from a win, at least for someone with a non-provisional rating, is pretty messed up.

You could lose rankings on iso from a win.
I'm not sure about this actually. On the iso leaderboard, the uncertainty is increased per-day, not per-game. So on iso, the only way a win could decrease your level is if it decreased your mean skill, and that would surprise me (although I haven't checked the math to see whether it's possible).

To clarify, it's definitely possible on iso to only win games on a day, then see your level decrease. But that's because of the per-day increase in uncertainty.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 11:50:50 pm »

Unless there's a bug (and I haven't actually checked the implementation), you can't lose RATING from a win on iso - but the bigger point is who cares about the "iso had the problem too" issue? You can make a better rating system than iso has.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.054 seconds with 21 queries.