Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SP actually good here?  (Read 1292 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
SP actually good here?
« on: March 07, 2013, 01:17:31 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/07/game-20130307-101512-3c546633.html

I don't understand... I didn't mess around with potions and just went for Wharf/BM on a huge board for it (Bank, Hoard) and got beaten out. How can the SP approach expect to catch up to this, especially when he can't really trash his starting cards - how is he drawing so reliably?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: SP actually good here?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:44:15 pm »

I actually think the card that makes SP better is one that wasn't purchased: Outpost. With ok deck thinning, SP can essentially get two turns for one with Outpost.

With what was played, Salvager + Lighthouse + Peddler makes it pretty easy to acquire lots of cheap cards and to get rid of the starting cards. Scrying Pool turns lighthouses into Peddlers and Peddlers into Labs-with-a-coin.

Wharf-Hoard-Bank is powerful, but because there are no +Actions terminal collisions are an issue for you. They are somewhat inevitable if you have enough Wharfs, but going into Peddlers is bad because those cards don't do a ton for you if you have them live and if you draw them dead they stop your Banks and Hoards from connecting with other treasure cards. My guess is still that SP is better in this scenario, but pure Wharf-money will do better than mixing in Peddlers, I'm almost sure.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:51 pm »

You started here with silver/silver/salvager. If you want a salvager then you buy it on turn 1, and if you don't want a salvager then don't buy it on turn 3.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »

i think your grand strategy (wharf big money) is correct, despite the scrying pool helpers (lighthouse, outpost, salvager, peddler). i don't think you want a salvager at all, and you definitely don't want a hoard till you are sure that when you draw it you will buy a province.

maybe once his deck threatens to catch up, buy salvagers and peddlers with extra buys (worst case scenario just burn a province). until then, i'd go three wharves, one bank if you get the wharves early enough, one hoard, green, in that order, buying silver whenever i couldn't afford one of these options. (and agonizing between lighthouse and nothing with an unlikely two). a fourth wharf is ok later if your deck starts to "clog" from the golds that hoard gives you.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:04 pm »

also, in cheesesteak's defense - he doesn't start the game committing to scrying pool. on turn 3, he can tell with his draw that he's likely to get the lucky wharf on turn 4, so he buys a potion, which makes total sense to me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.